• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

delidding the 7740X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
EDIT: I ran Super Pi 32M and the highest temp I saw was 45 C. Of course, that's just a benchmark, not a stress test.

FWIW, SPI is a terrible test to use for temp because it is single threaded.
XTU or CineBench 15 would be much more accurate of real world temps.

^agreed.

XTU is quite though. Usually, when I pass 5 loops of XTU, I am good with stability test. Same goes for CB R15.

Looking good, I would have really been surprised if you didn't see a good drop with LM. Makes me want to delid my 7800x, although I kind of want a 7820x, lol.

I know IBT is not the best stress tester. I typically use it just for a quick and dirty way to determine "initial" stability. It's more for: if it fails, it's not stable. Regardless, that was my baseline temps I've been using with the CPU at 5.0 GHz and voltage at 1.25v. Although you mentioned XTU. Maybe I have some temps from that bench/utility. Cinebench 15, huh? Never tried that, maybe I should.

Besides, this is a fresh install, I don't have my software loaded yet, so not much to choose from at the moment. I could run PCmark10, at about 18-19 minutes into the benchmark it really wrestles with the CPU. I got brought to my knees several times at that point.

My results are not scientifically valid, but it does indicate a significant drop in temps was achieved.

delided my 7700k.

before:
stock chip 7700k @ 4.2GHz w/ 4.5GHz turbo
EVGA CLC 240mm AIO cooler
Prime95 (8-thread, small FFT)
Max temps - 87C on the hottest core

after:
stock chip 7700k @ 4.2GHz w/ 4.5GHz turbo
custom water cooling (w/GPU)
Prime95 (8-thread small FFT)
about 70C on hottest core

i know its not straight apples to apples because i added the custom water cooling at the same time. but ill just assume the AIO was doing a reasonable job and only accounting for ~1-5c worse than the custom loop.

so conservatively i dropped 10-12C from the delid.

Back