• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

delidding the 7740X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scotty, you're such a buzz kill.

So be it, if I did it once, I can do it twice. The team could use the points.

I see now how I screwed up the verification screenshot and I understand the world record holder should have all their ducks in a row.

Shoot me an email and we'll get it figured out what I need. I have to admit having been away for a few years, things have changed a lot at HWBOT.

Last edited:
Just save the result and submit it later on their site or have a connection and submit when you run it and save the hyperlink to the result. When you submit there an option for the link to the database that the verification you need

Wasn't trying to be a killjoy.
Probably would have not been caught for a while, but as soon as somebody reported it, it would have been removed.

Thanks for the info, Johan. Unfortunately, I didn't save the result. I see I should have now (I only saved the screenshot). I'm glad there is a non-online way to do it, because I usually turn off my wifi card because it uses a lot of resources. I should run a hard wire, the router is in the same room, but I'd have to run it around a door frame.

Scotty, you're right. I looked at the current WR holder's verification and he has all the right documentation, so you know he'll report it. Heck, I would too if I were in his spot. That's ok, I know in my heart that WR is mine, I'll get it... and I want it to be legit.

I have more watercooling parts arriving tomorrow, so thought I'd wait until after the new radiator is installed before attacking the WR again.

But today, I did play around with max possible clock frequency. It was about all I could do just to get this 5.5 GHz screenshot though.

CPU-Z 7740X 5500 MHz.jpg

Drop the HT and some cores in BIOS, might get you another 100 MHz. Still impressive for WC :clap:

It's about as high as I could boot on my delidded 7700K ( quite good chip but Johan has a bit better one ) ... but it was like screenshot and bsod :p Nice result, how high do you want to keep it daily ?

I can and have benched all day long at 5.3 gig. My "24/7" OC is 5.0 GHz @ 1.20v.

I couldn't wait for the new radiator. It was a cool night (finally), so I opened the window and shut the door in my Man Cave this morning. First attempt was nearly done when it crashed. I gave it one little bump in vcore and tried again. This time I was rewarded with a solid score that would have been ranked 2nd globally if submitted. Third time's a charm; this rig's a beast, it nailed the world record and then some. Like I said, if I could do it once, I could do it again. I screwed up with my verification in that last submission. I got it right this time.

World Record PCmark10.jpg

Thank you Arctic Silver 5, dependable and trustworthy stuff that is consistent, durable, and improves with age (well, to a point).

Thanks to everyone here at the OC Forums that helped me. I'm not only talking about right now, but also those patient souls that took pity on me 15 years ago too.

Last edited:
Delidding summary

Thanks again.

Let's do a real delidding conclusion and wrapup since the title of the thread says delidding. I would hate wading through 3 pages of rambling posts (and I know my posts do meander) and never figure out what happened. Yes, it worked.

Summary: My 7740X was ok at first. But, after a couple of days of intense benchmarking, high OC, and lots of voltage... suddenly I had temp alarms going off and saw a huge spike in CPU temp when under load. Even my safe 5.0 gig OC ran too hot now. At default speed, it seemed ok. The crappy TIM used by Intel is notorious for failing.

So, I delidded the CPU, which is removal of the IHS. I have a fancy delidding tool, but the X-series processors (socket 2066) are too big to fit into the tool. So, I did it the old school way, with a razor blade. I do not recommend this because it could definitely kill your CPU if you gouge the PCB with the corner of the razor. The Kaby Lake-X is a little easier to do, but the Skylake-X has delicate circuitry around the die that could easily be damaged.

Working slowly and carefully, I managed to finally get the IHS off. I used the razor method to a couple P-4 years ago, but they were a walk in the park compared to this 7740X. The IHS is big and heavy and well cemented on. Oh yeah, almost forgot, not soldered like those pesky Haswells, so no problem there. I was nervous about whether I had damaged my CPU (I had lightly scratched the PCB in a couple places).

I have a lifetime supply of Arctic Silver 5, so since that was the best I had and it was late at night, that's what I used. AS5 seems to have fallen from favor. I have used it for something like 15 years and have found it to be quite reliable. What people forget or maybe don't know is AS5 needs a little time to set up. We used to call it "burn in" time. Give your CPU something to do for a few days while moderately overclocked and with higher than normal vcore (not too high though). Seriously, AS5 gets better after it's been tortured a little. I saw that happen here too.

I have since learned that the big benchmarking overclocking dogs use liquid metal under the IHS. This is apparently the best way to lower temps and sometimes can have dramatic results. I ordered some in case I decide to re-delid.

Long story short, delidding is risky, but sometimes needed for extreme overclocking. It helped me chase down a benching world record.

Last edited:
AS5 is fine IMO, within a couple of degrees with other TIM's for IHS/HSF interfacing.

But when using TIM for de-lidded CPU's, it's another story: only metal compounds do a great job!

AS5 is clearly worse than some new TIMs and it gets dry after longer heating up while new TIMs can work 5+ years without issues. That's just my experience. Most overclockers are not using AS5 anymore because of that.
Optimal to put on die is liquid metal. If you are going to use sub 0 cooling then better is to use something like Gelid Extreme or Grizzly Kryonaut.

all the talk about the die->IHS interface. use liquid metal there. fine.

but should you use the liquid metal again on the IHS->heatsink/waterblock inteface? or stick with a more traditional TIM there?

what are everyone's thoughts?

Yes, you can, but there is not such a massive improvement like IHS/Die. A couple of degrees at max, and it is a PITA to clean!

Last edited:
Yeah, that sums it up, it seems that most delidders use liquid metal for the die/IHS contact and then their favorite regular TIM for the sink/block. If you read through all of the posts, you'll see discussion on pros and cons of liquid metal. It's highly conductive, do not accidentally get it onto the delicate circuitry on the CPU package. It's messy and hard to cleanup.

Here's what I plan to do, borrow my wife's clear fingernail polish and put a coat down on the PCB around the die. Might need a couple coats, you don't want to apply too much at a time. My wife said the only clear she has is high gloss. Guess my 7740X don't care that it's shiny. Next, I plan to use Sentential's suggestion of putting down Super 33 electrical tape to catch any drips or runs.

When I ordered the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal (which Sentential says is the best), I also ordered a small tube of Arctic MX-4 (carbon-based, non-conductive, long-lasting) and a small tube of Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Yes, I know AS5 is over-the-hill (like me). But, it's not as bad as some folks think. Most of the comparison reviews use a fresh application, so that's my other point, AS5 gets another couple degrees better after some burn-in time to set the paste. But, reviewers never do that, so AS5 gets screwed out of a couple degrees right there. Regardless, there are better TIM options nowadays, but AS5 has been very good to me.

I plan to stay with regular thermal paste on top the IHS even if I use liquid metal under the IHS. I will take some careful temp readings before and after when I do it (probably this coming weekend).

Last edited:
yeah i have a massive 20g tube of MX4.

so ill use TG conductonaut between die and IHS and MX4 between the IHS and my AIO cooler, when i delid my 7700k

Sounds like a plan. Do you have access to a delidding tool? So much easier and far less risk of damage.

Back