• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

delidding the 7740X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah, i bought one of the cheapo 3d printed tools on ebay to give a try.

im no stranger to modding or messing with things, i'll cut it with a razor blade if i have to.

While I don't recommend the razor blade method, it will work with a Kaby Lake if you are careful and take your time. There are a couple youtube videos that you can watch too.

all the talk about the die->IHS interface. use liquid metal there. fine.

but should you use the liquid metal again on the IHS->heatsink/waterblock inteface? or stick with a more traditional TIM there?

what are everyone's thoughts?

LM! I do not understand everyone's fear with using it. Yes it stains, yes it's difficult to remove but how many of us are changing coolers on a daily basis? None. Most of us use the same one from jump so you might as well view this as a permanent installation

given its expense, i'll probably just use it for the die.

lately ive taken my system down several times and repositioned things. and i'd like to maintain "clean" IHS/HS interfaces for resale purposes.

Yep, I hear ya. I need to take the CPU block off, disassemble it, and scrub the insides every year or so. I'm sticking with traditional thermal paste on the block for now.

Well boys, looky here.

Thermal Grizzly.jpg

Reckon y'all know what I'm doing this weekend. Yeppers, got me a hot date with liquid metal.

Piece of advice for you with the conductonaut - be careful when dispensing it. It doesn't want to go and then it will plaster everything. I recommend putting your CPU on something that you can throw away when it happens.

Piece of advice for you with the conductonaut - be careful when dispensing it. It doesn't want to go and then it will plaster everything. I recommend putting your CPU on something that you can throw away when it happens.

Sheesh, glad you told me that in advance. I stuck the needle tip into a ziplock baggy and gave it a trial squirt to get a feel for how much pressure was needed and how fast it comes out. Half the contents of the syringe blew out. So glad I had taken precautions. That stuff was like playing with mercury.

I put 3 coats of clear fingernail polish down on the PCB and after it dried, I put Super 33+ tape down to catch any messes and I'm sure glad I did. What a PITA to apply. Doubt I'll ever use this stuff again unless it drops temps down to about 0.

I'm letting the IHS adhesive cure overnight and I'll see if this thing will fire up tomorrow.

Sheesh, glad you told me that in advance. I stuck the needle tip into a ziplock baggy and gave it a trial squirt to get a feel for how much pressure was needed and how fast it comes out. Half the contents of the syringe blew out. So glad I had taken precautions. That stuff was like playing with mercury.

I put 3 coats of clear fingernail polish down on the PCB and after it dried, I put Super 33+ tape down to catch any messes and I'm sure glad I did. What a PITA to apply. Doubt I'll ever use this stuff again unless it drops temps down to about 0.

I'm letting the IHS adhesive cure overnight and I'll see if this thing will fire up tomorrow.

Hah I'm glad you took precautions too. No one forewarned me and I had a huge mess...
It's a total pain to use but it's so worth it, I dropped ~30C on my 7700k with the delid/LM...

Good news so far. The computer is back together and I fired it up. So far, idle temps appear to be 2 degrees C. cooler than before.

But... while I had it tore down I revamped the watercooling loop too. I took out that Bitspower flow indicator and added a single radiator (already had a double). So unfortunately, any drop in temp will have to take that into account too.

I'll be back after I do some testing, but first I need to load some drivers. I'll run HWiNFO64 in the background to watch temps.

Did you apply the conductonaut to both the lid and CPU lightly? Not too much tape under the lid to keep it from making good contact? I'd be shocked if you only drop 2C, something else is going on there...
When I did my 7700k I tried not to put any tape under the lid to make sure it fits flush...

I did not leave any tape. I put down 3 coats of clear fingernail polish. I used the tape just to catch the mess of applying and I did have a little run off. I pulled the tape off before I reinstalled the IHS. I did apply to the IHS too, but I feel it did not react very well.

The 2 degree drop was just idle now. Installing drivers and copying files from a flash drive, the max I've seen so far is 40.

Remember, my point of reference is different than most. I already did this once and used AS5. So, any drop now will not be due to failed Intel TIM, but because it's better than AS5. Everyone told me AS5 sucks and would make my CPU catch on fire, but it did well for me and I went on to break a benchmark world record.

EDIT: I ran Super Pi 32M and the highest temp I saw was 45 C. Of course, that's just a benchmark, not a stress test.

Last edited:
I realize you are coming from AS5, but I would still be shocked if you didn't drop 10C full load compared to it.

I can't get my stress test to work yet, sorry. I need to be online to download a windows file first. To get this online I have to finish driver install and get Norton running again. Hang on, I'm working on it. I'm on the laptop right now.

Sorry I don't mean to sound like I'm impatient, I just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

Also Norton? Eww (in my best SNL voice)

I wanna know too. You're fine, glad someone is reading this thread.

Results: load temp is 7 C. cooler (max load temp during IntelBurnTest was 58). I'm guestimating 2 degrees is from the watercooling revamp. So, maybe about 5 degrees better with delid and TG Conductonaut under IHS vs. delid and AS5 under the IHS. [NOTE: this temp was wrong, see below in post #80 for correction.]

I installed the waterblock with AS5 again, like before. If I'm right, it'll drop another couple of degrees after 2 or 3 days of setting time. Once I give AS5 a fair chance, I will try some other thermal paste. Let's see, I have Arctic MX-4 (unrelated to Arctic Silver), XSPC K3, Thermaltake brand, and some generic silicon paste.

Last edited:
From the reading I have done Batboy I also expect to see a 5-10 deg drop in load temps fromt the LM and maybe 2-3 from the added rad .

My bad!

Test parameters were not the same in previous test. I forgot to put the side panel on (it has two 120mm intake fans).

UPDATED RESULTS: 11 C. drop

I ran this 3 times in a row with a 5 minute cool down in between and the resulting load temp was 54 degrees C. each time. Impressive. Figure at least 2 degrees for the loop changes, that leaves about 9 degrees better than AS5. I'll bet it'll be at least -10 once I burn in this AS5. Then we'll see if MX-4 is any better. Glad I remembered baseline was with the panel and fans on. Makes a difference.

Delta 7 was pretty good, but I like 11 better. That's impressive. Almost worth everything I went through... lol. ;)

Last edited:
Back