• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Assuming the Acer isn't IPS and you aren't a competitive FPS gamer that needs 240Hz, I'd go with the Asus.

I love gamming though.
Gaming.

The point I was trying to make is that the Asus is a higher-quality panel (IPS). While it 'only' has 180Hz refresh, that's still night and day better than 60 Hz. I run a similar setup (2560x1440 IPS 165Hz) and love it.

Also, nobody said you can't game on the Asus... it's a 'gaming' monitor too... I specifically said COMPETITIVE FPS GAMER, which is someone who needs a higher refresh rate because of the genre they play and the competitive nature of esports. If you prefer Hz over the quality of panel, that's fine too.

Gaming.

The point I was trying to make is that the Asus is a higher-quality panel (IPS). While it 'only' has 180Hz refresh, that's still night and day better than 60 Hz. I run a similar setup (2560x1440 IPS 165Hz) and love it.

Also, nobody said you can't game on the Asus... it's a 'gaming' monitor too... I specifically said COMPETITIVE FPS GAMER, which is someone who needs a higher refresh rate because of the genre they play and the competitive nature of esports. If you prefer Hz over the quality of panel, that's fine too.
You do have a very good point. I have to think on it. Thank you. (y)
Post magically merged:

Look at this one.

And it is 180hz:(. But it also has G-Sync.(y)
Neither of the panels you linked have native G-Sync. One (the Asus) lists G-sync compatible. The other is Freesync Premium.

Remember we linked the list of G-Sync compatible monitors? If G-sync is important to you and you don't want to spend the money on a native G-Sync monitor, you should go by this list we linked we previously discussed. The Acer is not on the list. ;)

Post magically merged:

Look at this one.
It's adapative sync......... see above RE: G-sync.

Not holding my breath, lol. Don't forget to mention that in your BUILD THREAD (where the curved AOC monitor was "set in stone", lol).
No, I have made up my mind thanks to you. Thank you. :thup: This ASUS TUF monitor is better than the AOC or ROG.

Last edited:
Its 260Hz also Adaptive-Sync technology works with NVIDIA G-Sync. :thup:
It's higher frequency, yes. The ROG also works with G-Sync.

Just so you have all the details, the ROG has the better IPS panel...you get better color reproduction through that one. The TUF line is more on the budget side of things versus ROG.

The TUF has higher Hz, but is not the 'better' monitor of the two (unless you ignore the other specs).

EDIT: I think you'll be happy with the higher Hz, still. :)

So ROG or TUF..........:unsure:
Like I said, tough call. ROG is higher in the Asus product stack than TUF so it probably has the 'prettier' panel. I'm still leaning ROG.
I'm sure E Dawg will correct me if I'm wrong, but I am fairly certain we can't perceive the difference between 144Hz & 230Hz unless we are being paid to play CS or some other competitive e-sport.

Yeah, it's a complicated answer because.......

High Hz is best for First Person Shooters and twitch shooter-type games (think Doom, Quake, Apex, COD, BF, CS). MMORPG and TPP games it doesn't matter as much (like Frame counts in the first place - you can get away with fewer on different genres). I don't know what the OP plays....... he needs to think and figure out which is best for him...

As far as actually seeing the difference between 160Hz and 240Hz, you can. More so in FPS games, for sure. But yeah, I went with a higher quality 160Hz monitor instead of faster and I play FPS games, lol.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you're horny for Hz (like you are power supplies, lol), then get that.
Post magically merged:

Do you have a link?
Bro...........come on now........please try looking!

I googled "Hardware Unboxed VG27AQML1A" ...and did the same at Rtings....

Last edited:
Picking the right monitor is always a pain for me. The main problem for me is that specs do not always tell the whole truth. If I can, I try to go to the nearest and largest electronics store and check how it looks in reality. Don't look only at the max refresh rate, as you can't see any real differences when FPS is much lower. If you can't run games above 100FPS, then more than 144hz won't make any significant difference.
If you spend a lot, then always check if the product has a long warranty.
If you use one display, then check some 31.5-34" monitors. I wouldn't go back to anything smaller than 32" right now. You can find some pretty good 32" 144hz monitors at a reasonable price.

New VA (MVA or whatever other version) monitors aren't worse than IPS. Everything was improved in the last few years and as long as the manufacturer designs it right then VA can be great too.

I have a 28" 4k 165hz ASUS TUF monitor at work right now - VG289Q. It's pretty good with even backlight, but it's discontinued. The new version costs $200-220. I don't know if I would recommend it as something the best, but it's pretty good for the price.

Back