• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate FAH Install Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:welcome: to teh FOLD! :D

The batch files available in this thread are for Wedo style service installs (also available in this thread). You have done a service install in Stanford style (download available direct from Stanford). Wedo names the service FAH (single instance) or FAH1, FAH2, etc. (multi-instance) while stanford uses FAH@(path to FAH) as the service name. You could probably edit the batch files and change the service name to what you see in the service manager (services.msc) and that will probably work, don't see why not. Otherwise, you could ditch the Stanford install and reinstall with the Wedo One-Click found in this thread. I, and many others here, like the way Wedo did the services install better than the way Stanford does it. Seems to start/stop quicker to me. Also, once you install the Wedo service the batch files will work without issue.

KillrBuckeye said:
Hey guys, I'm new to this and just installed the console version on my main rig. However, I decided to install it as a stand alone application (not service) because I anticipated turning it off and on quite a bit. I think that was the wrong choice, because I don't see where I have control to start and stop the standalone console application.

Anyhow, I re-ran the configuration options (by adding -configonly to shortcut file) and chose to install as a service. The problem now is that the batch files provided in this sticky do not work to stop the service. If I type them manually in a command prompt, I get the following message:

"The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

However, I can clearly see the FAH@C service running and it's at 100% CPU usage. What's going on? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall?

The thread above me should help you out. Just wanted to say welcome to the team!:welcome:

Thanks for the warm welcome and info. :) Okay, I will install the Wedo-style service whenever my first WU is completed. I didn't realize that it took so long to complete a single WU! My main rig was only 2% through the first WU after running for 30 minutes or so. I also installed FAH on my Ubuntu Linux machine, which has an old Pentium III 900 MHz (100 MHz FSB), and after running for an hour it was only 1% through its first WU... I plan to put together another rig (socket A) with some spare parts and get that folding as well. My only concern with that one is noise--it has a crappy CPU cooler with a small, high-speed fan that's very whiny. Not sure if I'll be able to handle that one running 24/7, and since my wife is already ****ed at me for buying a new mouse and some RAM, a new CPU cooler is probably out of the question for a while. :(

KillrBuckeye said:
...I didn't realize that it took so long to complete a single WU! My main rig was only 2% through the first WU after running for 30 minutes or so. I also installed FAH on my Ubuntu Linux machine, which has an old Pentium III 900 MHz (100 MHz FSB), and after running for an hour it was only 1% through its first WU...(
In general, it takes 12-24 hours to complete a WU. Also folding on linux is much slower. Don't know why, it just is.

hibner said:
In general, it takes 12-24 hours to complete a WU. Also folding on linux is much slower. Don't know why, it just is.
Interesting. So if I build a spare rig for folding, it should have Windows if possible? What about diskless folding machines? The bootable CD with the FAH application runs some form of Linux, right?

Yeah, try to stick to windows when folding. I am sure there are ways of speeding up folding under linux, but none that I know of. And ghettocomp is the one to ask about diskless folding. He spent a lot of time figuring it out. There are several good threads on it in this section.

hibner said:
Yeah, try to stick to windows when folding. I am sure there are ways of speeding up folding under linux, but none that I know of. And ghettocomp is the one to ask about diskless folding. He spent a lot of time figuring it out. There are several good threads on it in this section.

runs faster on linux at least it did on ubuntu. The time stays constant, not liek on windows were it depends on what your doing. I could be encoding, and the times would not fluctuate.

Okay, this is annoying. Everytime I reboot or stop/start the service, the client.cfg always reverts back to this, and yeah the whole file is made up of ONLY these 4 lines:

[http]
active=no

. . .no matter how many times I copy and paste the full .cfg from the one click download (or just overwrite the whole file with mine; with name swapped in, bigpackets changed to yes, and checkpoint changed to 3).

Argh.

THat looks like a word pad edit problem. Use only notepad to edit client.cfg. If you delete a hard return (little rectangle) the file is toast. PM me with your email address and the name you fold under and I'll send you a client.cfg that'll work.

I saw that it said use notepad, but I didn't think it was trying to exclude wordpad specifically (if it was, as there are tons of editors out there). There really needs to be a more clearly defined warning in general, or at least something to warn against wordpad.

I redid the files in notepad and things are fine now. I just use wordpad for those sorts of things because I HATE the formatting that the little rectangles cause in notepad that make things so hard to read sometimes.

One has to wonder why on God's green Earth wordpad destroys the file, despite making it look so much nicer and cleaner and *easier to read*. Oh well.

hibner said:

My linux rig eats through 600 pointers in about 18 hours. ANd im pretty sure its just a single core xeon, not sure though.

I have used the one-click install for XP Single CPU with -advmethods. Twice so far when I installed it, FAH was only using 50% cpu power, I checked the configs and it was set to 100. No other process was using much resources and only one instance of FAH was installed. I have used the exact some install on other machines and it ran at 100%. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

-Anon- said:
I have used the one-click install for XP Single CPU with -advmethods. Twice so far when I installed it, FAH was only using 50% cpu power, I checked the configs and it was set to 100. No other process was using much resources and only one instance of FAH was installed. I have used the exact some install on other machines and it ran at 100%. Does anyone know what the problem could be?
If you have a dual-core or hyper-threading processor, Windows will see two separate processors (even if there only is one). The One-Click for a single CPU will only utilize one of those 'processors' as there is no dual-processor client available from the Stanford Folding site. Since the F@H client is utilizing only one 'processor' you will see it run only at 50% in the task manager. If you wish to to bring up utilization to 100%, try using the dual-processor One-Click Installer. Also, uninstall the old version first by stopping the F@H service and deleting the old F@H directory ('C:\program files\FAH' if I remember right).

i did what it said in the instructions and not that its runnign in the backgroud, hwo do i see the progress. i'm expecting a dos window to pop up or somehting. it doesn't say anywhere in the instructions that i have to go to c:\programfiles\fah and cilck on the console link to start everything. i don't want to do that even though it does pop up with an dos window.

and it only uses 51 percent of cpu i set it to 100 and its not working at 100 on my P4 Ht

Last edited:
cheece2001 said:
i did what it said in the instructions and not that its runnign in the backgroud, hwo do i see the progress. i'm expecting a dos window to pop up or somehting. it doesn't say anywhere in the instructions that i have to go to c:\programfiles\fah and cilck on the console link to start everything. i don't want to do that even though it does pop up with an dos window.

and it only uses 51 percent of cpu i set it to 100 and its not working at 100 on my P4 Ht

The easiest way to monitor progress is to use EMIII, FahMon, or both when you are running the client as a service.

On your 6xx p4 HT's - it will not show 100% unless you run 2 instances. General recommendation tho is to only run 1 instance on HT rigs. Even tho windows says you are only using ~ 50%, its because it considers the cpu as 2 cores when you have HT enabled. In reality, you don't have 2 cores. So the general stanford recommendation is to run 1 instance per real core which for the 6xx's means 1 instance.

One your doual core c2d you could run 2 standard windows client instances, or the smp client. You get much better production/points running the smp client on a dC cpu.

:welcome: to the fold :)

Back