• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate FAH Install Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hi there is the version up there compatible with Vista? 5.02

I downloaded 5.04 from F@H main website and is it optimize for dual core? Not really sure

PS: I fold long time ago but been inactive for awhile because of some personal reasons

If you have a dual-core cpu (or more), then the FAH client to run for best results would be a version of the SMP client. It generates 4 threads but produces the fastest WU finisher, as well as earning the most points, by far.

Within the SMP family of clients, the Linux one is currently the most stable, fastest, and highest point getter. It needs a 64 bit version of linux, and just browsing the internet and such is a breeze, even for noobs at it. Highly recommended for dedicated folders with dual core cpu's.

Windows SMP client is next - newest and not quite as stable as the Linux version, but a real advantage still, over folding two versions of the uniprocessor FAH client (like the 5.04, etc.).

Following the install instructions CAREFULLY (especially on setting up the administrator's account before installing), is very important.

A third choice is to run the linux client in VMWare software, over Windows. Works well, but about 12% slower than native Linux, and needs 2gigs of RAM for reasonable multi-tasking. A bit more complex, but VMWare is available free.

All the above have detailed install guides.

Just let us know which one you want to install, and whatever questions you have.

Adak said:
If you have a dual-core cpu (or more), then the FAH client to run for best results would be a version of the SMP client. It generates 4 threads but produces the fastest WU finisher, as well as earning the most points, by far.

Within the SMP family of clients, the Linux one is currently the most stable, fastest, and highest point getter. It needs a 64 bit version of linux, and just browsing the internet and such is a breeze, even for noobs at it. Highly recommended for dedicated folders with dual core cpu's.

Windows SMP client is next - newest and not quite as stable as the Linux version, but a real advantage still, over folding two versions of the uniprocessor FAH client (like the 5.04, etc.).

Following the install instructions CAREFULLY (especially on setting up the administrator's account before installing), is very important.

A third choice is to run the linux client in VMWare software, over Windows. Works well, but about 12% slower than native Linux, and needs 2gigs of RAM for reasonable multi-tasking. A bit more complex, but VMWare is available free.

All the above have detailed install guides.

Just let us know which one you want to install, and whatever questions you have.

Thanks for the reply , going to try the SMP for Windows now :) One more question, if the service is running on the background , what happen if I open back the folding console?

s[H]sIkuA said:
Thanks for the reply , going to try the SMP for Windows now :) One more question, if the service is running on the background , what happen if I open back the folding console?

When you say it is running in the background, I assume you mean it is minimized? If so, there is no effect on it ... it just makes it viewable when you display its window. Running this way the only thing you can do with it is ctrl-c which is the proper way to shut it down.

If you meant by running in the background that you configured it to run as a service, then the console is not viewable. You can open the log file to see what it is doing, or use fahmon which also has a convenient view to display the console's log. The fahlog.txt file caintains everything the is displayed on the console.

pscout said:
When you say it is running in the background, I assume you mean it is minimized? If so, there is no effect on it ... it just makes it viewable when you display its window. Running this way the only thing you can do with it is ctrl-c which is the proper way to shut it down.

If you meant by running in the background that you configured it to run as a service, then the console is not viewable. You can open the log file to see what it is doing, or use fahmon which also has a convenient view to display the console's log. The fahlog.txt file caintains everything the is displayed on the console.

Thanks currently running F@H dual core in service :) Fold for humanity!

any way to get the one click setup with 5.04? and work with vista? i have a lot a vista computers available to me but i want to be able to one click setup them :)

most of them are dualies but probly can't handle -advmethods

Last edited:
Papo said:
most of them are dualies but probly can't handle -advmethods

:welcome: to the team and OCF.

Last I heard wedo had no plans to update the current 1 click from 5.02 to 5.04.

There isn't a lot of difference between them ... max memory setting was added to 5.04 to solve a problem with memory overcommit running multiple instances of qmd wu's (qmds' have been gone over a year now) and the advmethods setting could be set in client.cfg in addition to setting it as a command line switch for a desktop console, or property for a service setup.

There was some talk a while back about updating it when a new version of the client comes out, but i haven't seen a post from wedo in quite a while.

Is there a reason why my 'edited' config files keep giving Wedo credit ? even though the files say SH0DAN.I now click on stats and it takes me to Wedo's stats page ?!?? I went to look up my stats and see I have nothing....

I did the 4 core one click download on mine,and did 3 wu's on my main comp,and one install on my wifes x2 3800 @ 2.5Ghz with the daully download.

Config Files on both comps are edited for team32 and SH0DAN....

Edit:

I noticed that a few others have asked this q over the past 2 years,and they got no answer.

I was going to ask if you edited with wordpad and not notepad (wordpad messes it up. some bs about being a unix file), but if they are defaulting to wedo and not anon, then I dunno...

All files were edited with Notepad in a WinXP Pro SP2 install,all with the latest updates from MS.

It's been a long time since I've used the wedo one-click, but doesn't it come with cfg files that are then copied to the installed FAH directories? Did you edit the cfg before or after installing? And did you make sure that the cfg files in the FAH directories themselves are properly edited with your info?

That's all I got. :-/

yes, you have to edit wedo's .cfgx files before running the installer.

You should be able to change them if you stop the FAHx service(s) and then edit the client.cfg files in each of the FAHx directories you installed.

After you restart them, the next wu's that you complete will go to your id.

If you have already completed any wu's then wedo got a royalty :D ... but the points still went to T32 :)

Well as long as we get the points as a Team I guess its all good.I folded for about three days on a Quad @ 3.30Ghz and X2 3800 @ 2.5Ghz,full bore.I did get it fixed on my comp with some.....help.

I uninstalled them on both comps,and made the crucial edits as you directed pscout and all seems fine now.I'll check the page in a day or so,and see if/what points we have attained.Thanks for the help and tips all. :)

I scimed throug the post my antivirus program thinks its a trogen virues in the file? let it go or wait i would love to help just dont want to mess up or have to format :bang head thanks:beer:

I scimed throug the post my antivirus program thinks its a trogen virues in the file? let it go or wait i would love to help just dont want to mess up or have to format :bang head thanks:beer:

There is NO virus in any FAH file, you may be sure.

That's why you can get the FAH files ONLY from Stanford, and they're all digitally checked there, AND again, before they start work on your system. You don't get to be the biggest distributed computing project in the world, by having less than stellar security.

Some AV programs (Avast was one), will ring up a false positive on FAH's file. Ignore it and maybe upgrade to a better AV program (like AVG - which has a free as well as a paid version, is top-rated, and updates it's data files automatically, EVERY SINGLE DAY (takes about 5 seconds). It correctly finds no virus in FAH, neither does Norton, (Symantic), nor any other top-tier AV program.

There are approximately 800,000 machines working with FAH. How many have EVER had a virus in their FAH files -- ZERO! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back