• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate FAH Install Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just a heads up...I DO NOT use -advmethods flag...WITH the BigPackets enabled....and HAVE gotten BPs...like those 600pointers (those are them..right?

Just Downloaded And Edited The Dual Client And Norton Found A Virus In It ... Watch Out People

diehrd said:
Just Downloaded And Edited The Dual Client And Norton Found A Virus In It ... Watch Out People

For the 1000th time.... there is no virus in the Dual Client version. Norton mistakenly associates the .exe within an .exe for some virus. I just installed dual client a week ago from the download and it is fine.

diehrd said:
It is a false positive... it's just like McAfee finding HijackThis as some sort of worm.

The One-Click is safe for use!

Trouble

Hi.
I have trouble when using "Ultimate FAH Network Installer".
When service is registered in WinXP|Win2k Srv ("sc" command), registry key "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters" isn't created. But "regini.exe" can't create keys. So, this key isn't filled and service don't start properly. Service stops direct after starting. It shows error sometimes.

To solve the problem I inserted before "regini.exe..." in single_install.cmd next command "reg add \\%1\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters".
But it's needed running under admin's account directly. I had to use "runas" command to run "single_install.cmd". It's not comfortable.

Kto said:
Hi.
I have trouble when using "Ultimate FAH Network Installer".
When service is registered in WinXP|Win2k Srv ("sc" command), registry key "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters" isn't created. But "regini.exe" can't create keys. So, this key isn't filled and service don't start properly. Service stops direct after starting. It shows error sometimes.

To solve the problem I inserted before "regini.exe..." in single_install.cmd next command "reg add \\%1\HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH\Parameters".
But it's needed running under admin's account directly. I had to use "runas" command to run "single_install.cmd". It's not comfortable.
I'll take a look at the installer later today. Thanks for the insight and help!

This installer does need to be run under an admin since it is copying files and modifying the registry of remote computers. You wouldn't want regular users to accidentally able to do that, right? ;)
The other reason is it requires if someone wanted to borg F@H to other workstations maliciously. Since the installer would require the rights of an admin (who is more than likely someone above them), then the potential borger would require permission first before installing; this follows our rules of getting permission first before doing stuff like this.

dark_15 said:
Thanks for the insight and help!
I always glad to help. :)
Especially, if it can make my life easier. ;)
dark_15 said:
This installer does need to be run under an admin since it is copying files and modifying the registry of remote computers. You wouldn't want regular users to accidentally able to do that, right? ;)
The other reason is it requires if someone wanted to borg F@H to other workstations maliciously.
Certainly. :)
I means that used in "single_installer.cmd" ("set username=...") way doesn't work with "reg.exe". So, I had to run "single_installer.cmd" with "runas.exe" instead of changing "userpass" and "username" params in "single_installer.cmd". But using "runas.exe" may lead to some limits.

Additionaly, it's need to say that I've run "reg.exe" without using "runas" utility. I think it's 'cause network type (domain or workgroup). I had to use "runas" in domain, but not in workgroup.

it IS a sticky. Or at least it once was. This section once had TOO MANY stickies, so Dark_15 and I took it upon ourselves to see if we couldn't find a better solution. We came up with one that worked very well for 90% of instances. Dark_15 shoudl get 90% of the credit though as he is the one that made the final surge of work on it and basically rewrote this sticky and a few others and the sticky 'owners' changed thier stickies to reflect the newer, more efficient info.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=386159

that is what you are no doubt looking for. After the reorganization, we went from nearly 15 or so stickies down to 1... and we are now back up to what... 4? Not too bad at all.

Hi, I have a few questions about the Ultimate FAH network installer.

I'm hoping to convinse my school's it Professional into letting me install F@H on our school's network. I don't think most schools would alow this, but my school cares alot about the environment, helping others and making the world a better place. B/c they have that attitude, I think I can get them to let me install it.

Anyway, on to my questions. First of all, the computers get shutdown afterschol and are then turned on again when school starts, how would that effect F@H? Do you need to shut down the service before shutting down the computers for the WU progress to be saved? Also, is there a way to have all the F@H Logs on a single server computer, or do they need to be on the individual computers? Which way would be work better/be easier to set up?

Hopefully if I can get all the questions I have come up with sorted (I beleive I will have more, but these are the first one I have though of.), I will be able to add 30+ 3.0ghz p4s to team 32.

BenF

BenF said:
Hi, I have a few questions about the Ultimate FAH network installer.

I'm hoping to convinse my school's it Professional into letting me install F@H on our school's network. I don't think most schools would alow this, but my school cares alot about the environment, helping others and making the world a better place. B/c they have that attitude, I think I can get them to let me install it.

Anyway, on to my questions. First of all, the computers get shutdown afterschol and are then turned on again when school starts, how would that effect F@H? Do you need to shut down the service before shutting down the computers for the WU progress to be saved? Also, is there a way to have all the F@H Logs on a single server computer, or do they need to be on the individual computers? Which way would be work better/be easier to set up?

Hopefully if I can get all the questions I have come up with sorted (I beleive I will have more, but these are the first one I have though of.), I will be able to add 30+ 3.0ghz p4s to team 32.

BenF

The service does not need to be stopped before windows shuts down. Windows takes care of that. It would take too much effort imho to try to have the logs on a single computer.

ok, thanks. So with that installer, I get set up the configs (with my username of course, and team 32) and let the admin run it.

BenF said:
ok, thanks. So with that installer, I get set up the configs (with my username of course, and team 32) and let the admin run it.

If you are planning on using the network installer from a central pc, the admin will have to do it. You could use a regular "one click" on each pc from a flash drive. The network installer has different scripts, and I would be affraid that a network administrator would be leary of such things.

mactel questions

any idea on how the f@h ppc version works on say..... a mini c.solo? what i'm trying to avoid doing it with bootcamp. i have 2g of ram in it, so parallels is an option. anyone seen data on that yet?

Hey guys, I'm new to this and just installed the console version on my main rig. However, I decided to install it as a stand alone application (not service) because I anticipated turning it off and on quite a bit. I think that was the wrong choice, because I don't see where I have control to start and stop the standalone console application.

Anyhow, I re-ran the configuration options (by adding -configonly to shortcut file) and chose to install as a service. The problem now is that the batch files provided in this sticky do not work to stop the service. If I type them manually in a command prompt, I get the following message:

"The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

However, I can clearly see the FAH@C service running and it's at 100% CPU usage. What's going on? Do I need to uninstall/reinstall?

Back