• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Rig o' The Month - August 2012 (Concluded)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Which rig is your favorite out of the five linked in the OP?

• Post # 6 - skeeg's Silverstone build

Votes: 19 12.8%
  • Post # 12 - BlueZero5's Project Wraith

Votes: 16 10.8%
  • Post # 15 - mwindham08's Computer-in-a-Desk

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • Post # 18 - Conumdrum's Banchetto Test Station

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Post # 36 - MybadOmen's Mass Effect 3

Votes: 32 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks really nice, and seems like you actually still have quite a bit of room in there.
I'm getting some really good ideas, and once I upgrade my CPU, GPA, I'll be also adding a loop, only I want the colors to be either purple, gold/yellow, or combo of both.
You know....."Smooth as silk, strong as a tiger" lol.

All these rigs are beautiful...nice work all :thup:
But, I have a soft spot for computer desk builds :D
Voted for mwindham08 :clap:

I voted for mwindham08's Computer-in-a-Desk. Its the coolest, but not really practical. If you sit to the left you're not centered to the 3 screens, and you'll need to use a mouse pad for your laser mouse that will slightly cover the awesomeness of this build, Maybe rev 2 will be more to the left rather than right in front. ;)

I just can't imagine the amount of time and money that is needed to build such elaborate systems. I applaud everyone who posted. Very impressive. What a great hobby!

Lol I came to the same conclusion. I put a table to the left of the desk and moved all my montors over so now nothing covers the motherboard and I can sit with my legs underneath the drawer. Oh, and my mousepad came from a shipment of O'keefes hand lotion. Came from a shipment where I used to work, I really need to invest in something else lol, it's bright green...

Thanks for all the votes guys, looking forward to seeing the new builds put forward in September!

I actually got really lucky in that regard. It was originally a sewing desk. That base is adjustable that way when you put a sewing machine on it, the base can be lowered making the needle flush with the top of the desk, which allows for you to move the fabric evenly across the desk. There was like three preset heights and the highest one left the tops of my graphics cards sticking out of the desk by about an inch. I had to drill a hole into the metal plate the base travels on to get the height right.

Using Koolance quick disconnects I can actually detach all the hoses and raise the entire motherboard and resevoirs up to the top of the desk if I need to get in there an swap something out.

I had actually posted a build log before, here is the link if you want to look at some of the pictures.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710366

you should do 2 rigs of the month. 1 with no mods to parts and 1 with mods. I can not a ford the price of some of these special mods n such, and I know Im not the only one

Yea these have some good parts but the leader is winning due to ingenuity and the work he did himself to mount the computer in a desk. Its not all $$ although this comp will lean towards that.
There are other comps like 3d mark or some sort of CPU test to enter without fancy mods.
Computers like mine and yours wont win this tho as they look ordinary.

I am trying to rub off some of the maestros here.. all great builds. the only one I have yet to see anything special is Skeeg's build.. did I miss anything? sorry, kinda noob here.. I saw it receiving lots of votes, so obviously it is awesome, right?

would like if someone do me the elaboration on what to learn there. thanks!

I am trying to rub off some of the maestros here.. all great builds. the only one I have yet to see anything special is Skeeg's build.. did I miss anything? sorry, kinda noob here.. I saw it receiving lots of votes, so obviously it is awesome, right?

would like if someone do me the elaboration on what to learn there. thanks!

Yes, skeeg's build is quite nice; very clean and uniform, two thumbs up from me. What is it that makes it the only one with anything special over the other competitors to you?

YES!! someone answering me!!!

ok ok, this is what I see in each built, please help me out and correct me if I am wrong.. I want to know how to see things correctly.

Corundrrums:
* very sleek benching station,
* optimal water cooling attributes for GPUs,
* excellent cable management
my critical comment:
* post 2 more pics man
* only see computer, want to know monitor set up too.

Mwindham08:
* Innovative, I always like computer in a desk too.
* Excellent cable management
* 3-way SLI under water cooling.
* Great cosmetic work out in a red theme.
my critical comment:
*Off-centered to right side makes mouse-pad required on glass. (unless he's left handed)
*can polish table a bit more, but already very nice.

Bluezero5:
* Great cable management
* Great cosemtic work in blue theme
* Switchable GPU in choosable Bios is bad ***
* Fan color changing to CPU load is quite innovative
my critical comment:
* Water cables gives me headache, though looks cool.
* might be better if not under table? seems consealed.

mybadomen's:
* VERY neat, the neatest of them all
* clearly well planned, from start to finish
my critical comment:
* I would like if the window plane has no cartoon on it, but still beautiful
* seems commercially driven.. right?
* how are the monitors?

Skeegs:
* neat cable management... can sleeve the cables tho!
* looks uniform.
my critical comment:
* Antec 920 closed-water-cooler? would custom water be better? given 2-way SLI too.
* can add some lighting? seems like everyone elses.
* how are the monitors?

as you see, I can pick up something from each, but skeegs, and I can't shake the feeling that I am missing the big picture here... is the GPU 2-way SLI overclocked to phenomenal levels on air or something? or has it archieved water cooling temps on air only??

Last edited:
To me skegs is a very neat design without being overly showy with lights and fancy crap. It has the coolness factor.

Its motherboard has the thermal Armour so its a very diff and sleek look
2 GPU and OC CPU are cool
Corsair water cool is neat
The case allows cable management from behind so thats neat as
It dosent really look like a computer inside due to these factors.

Its a good system without being over the top and one that is probably accessible to the everyman. In two words, its 'Bad ***'

The diff can be seen like in the pic below. His is the ordinary looking yet bad *** black car vs the showy, full of tech orange car.
2nvcl5w.jpg

Last edited:
YES!! someone answering me!!!

ok ok, this is what I see in each built, please help me out and correct me if I am wrong.. I want to know how to see things correctly.

Corundrrums:
* very sleek benching station,
* optimal water cooling attributes for GPUs,
* excellent cable management
my critical comment:
* post 2 more pics man
* only see computer, want to know monitor set up too.

Mwindham08:
* Innovative, I always like computer in a desk too.
* Excellent cable management
* 3-way SLI under water cooling.
* Great cosmetic work out in a red theme.
my critical comment:
*Off-centered to right side makes mouse-pad required on glass. (unless he's left handed)
*can polish table a bit more, but already very nice.

Bluezero5:
* Great cable management
* Great cosemtic work in blue theme
* Switchable GPU in choosable Bios is bad ***
* Fan color changing to CPU load is quite innovative
my critical comment:
* Water cables gives me headache, though looks cool.
* might be better if not under table? seems consealed.

mybadomen's:
* VERY neat, the neatest of them all
* clearly well planned, from start to finish
my critical comment:
* I would like if the window plane has no cartoon on it, but still beautiful
* seems commercially driven.. right?
* how are the monitors?

Skeegs:
* neat cable management... can sleeve the cables tho!
* looks uniform.
my critical comment:
* Antec 920 closed-water-cooler? would custom water be better? given 2-way SLI too.
* can add some lighting? seems like everyone elses.
* how are the monitors?

as you see, I can pick up something from each, but skeegs, and I can't shake the feeling that I am missing the big picture here... is the GPU 2-way SLI overclocked to phenomenal levels on air or something? or has it archieved water cooling temps on air only??

Good points all, though I do think you're leaping to conclusions about skeegs' overclock, where are you getting all of that about his overclock?

FWIW, to address a couple of your points, Conumdrum linked to a thread with all kinds of pics. Mwindham08 used a sewing table, so the hole is where the hole started. Mybadomen's build was a sponsored build, that is correct.

I'm curious as to why the monitor is so important to you? I wouldn't want to post pics of my desk in a thread like this, it would take away points! This competition is about the computers, not the monitors. :salute:

Hey Hokie
He is asking whats so special about skegs build. He sees the value in the rest but not that one. He says he is trying to learn.

As to the monitors, its a valid point. 'Its Rig o the month' which to me points to the whole package potentually They have 3 pics to show the best of their computer off.
The winner is winning in part because of the photo with the desk its in and 3 monitor sweetness, not just the internal parts.

Great idea, I'll give it a go!

MB: Gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB / CPU: I7 3770k / GPU: EVGA 670 FTW X 2 SLI / RAM: Gskill Ripjaw Z 16gb@1600 / PSU: Corsair HX 1000 /OCZ Agility 3 240G / WD 1tb Black / Samsung 2tb (both 6gb@7200) / CM Storm Trooper

Attachments

• IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    482.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1992.JPG
    IMG_1992.JPG
    497 KB · Views: 78
Next month Timesavage, next month. This month is in the voting stage. Wait until September and you can post them for it to count. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back