• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbies and vaguely interested people: Feel free to ask questions!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sup fellas! So I guess I've finally decided to invest some money on this gig, but needed some help and would appreciate it if any would help out. I've been building stock computers, xfer from intel to amd and now I've been getting very interested in OCing my PC. I've played around with my settings, but of course with lack of understanding of how it works, makes me feel that I can push more with the setup that I currently have. So here is my set up:

msi 890fxa-gd65 on latest bios 18.6
CPU: amd x4 980 [email protected] my oc max was @4.25
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H100 (keeps my cpu at between 25-30 in idle. playing games at about 50-55)
SSD: Chronos 120gb (ran win7 with trimm, but havent set up trimm on win8 yet) waiting for 8gb more ram for a total of 16gb, for now. I've been wanting to go with my full 32gb ram, but I've been waiting for price to drop.
ram: corsair ddr3 8g (1600 capable)(not really messed with this one so left it @ 1300
video card: geforce gtx 460 (havent done anything with it, not much interested in quality of picture. I am playing wow at max though.
PSU: blackwidow 850w

I don't know why, but it seems like my mobo is giving my all kinds of problems. I do have skype, magic jack, along with the ps3 usb wireless headset. The sound is supper scratchy, but noticed it was like that on my previous headphones. Thats why I bought these wireless. I've also had problems with my usb ports. When I try to connect my ipod touch on one of the usb hub(my computer desk is internally equipped with it). But it use to work fine before. I've already flashed my bios to the latest firmware. I've read a couple forums that it might have something to do with overclocking of the ram, or some settings in the bios, but it makes no sense. Well, thanks in advance guys for any help.

Your very own,

student in the making and worshiper of the great pc monster builders.

i have many newbie questions. there are some members who have helped tremendously, but i fear i am asking too much of their time on my other thread,and since this is newbie thread. It might be easier if i post here. where can i find a newbie guide to oc'ing? i can listen to suggestions from the pro's here, but it does me no good if i have no clue what and why i am doing any changes. i need to know where to start oc'ing this processor, etc.

Attachments

• hardware monitor.PNG
    hardware monitor.PNG
    37.4 KB · Views: 39
  • intel burn test.PNG
    intel burn test.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 4 to 6 core processor.PNG
    4 to 6 core processor.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 44
i have many newbie questions. there are some members who have helped tremendously, but i fear i am asking too much of their time on my other thread,and since this is newbie thread. It might be easier if i post here. where can i find a newbie guide to oc'ing? i can listen to suggestions from the pro's here, but it does me no good if i have no clue what and why i am doing any changes. i need to know where to start oc'ing this processor, etc.

This guide is more for newbies getting into benchmarking rather than just overclocking.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Is the PhenomII thread, I'd presume that it will give you a good head-start.

With regards to your other thread, there isn't much reason to deviate from it, keep your questions all in one thread so that the members that are currently helping you (we are all here to help with whatever we are knowledgeable of) can continue to do so in one place instead of answering multiple posts.

@LoganOC
:welcome: to the forums, I put in a request for your post to get moved into its own thread over in the AMD Mobo/CPU section as it is more geared for that area than benchmarking.

This guide is more for newbies getting into benchmarking rather than just overclocking.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596023

Is the PhenomII thread, I'd presume that it will give you a good head-start.

With regards to your other thread, there isn't much reason to deviate from it, keep your questions all in one thread so that the members that are currently helping you (we are all here to help with whatever we are knowledgeable of) can continue to do so in one place instead of answering multiple posts.

@LoganOC
:welcome: to the forums, I put in a request for your post to get moved into its own thread over in the AMD Mobo/CPU section as it is more geared for that area than benchmarking.
thanks.

Back