• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel X6 i5-9600KF based system (5.00Ghz project)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
The time has finally come to retire the venerable Phenom II X6 rig and upgrade to something a little more powerful. This will be the build log for my new system, and I can't wait to get started!

First off, this will be my main machine, not just a benching setup. So in my parts selection I have tried to blend performance with good looks, and doing all this while keeping the system running whisper quiet if at all possible. I want to focus on single-thread OR per core performance vs brute force and pure number crunching power. This leads me to the Intel Core i5-9600KF, a 9th gen unlocked 6 core CPU that boosts to 4.6Ghz. The price/performance ratio of this CPU cannot be beat, as they go for only $200 shipped. Seeing as how single-thread performance is nearly on par with the 9900k or the 8086k, I realized I likely won't notice any difference in day to day usage (short of benchmarking). My target goal is 5.0Ghz all cores. I'm pretty sure the CPU should be capable of this speed, now it is just a matter of cooling it down. I chose the Core Frozr XL primarily for aesthetics (I love the look) but also because it will fit in my relatively "slim" case, a Cooler Master Sileo 500.

To be honest, I really do not like the look of most modern gaming cases. In some cases, it almost seems as though they were designed by aliens on another far away planet. They've done away with 5.25" drive bays all together and they seem larger than life, complete and total overkill for my purposes, with about 20lb of tempered glass hanging off either side. I prefer the business look, and since I've used this same case in the past (main selling point is it's quiet), I thought I would go retro here instead of the popular trends we are seeing today. That being said, I also want to point out that I WILL NEVER GO RBG! Period. So this mandate also effected my parts and build plan to an extent. I also want people to know that I chose some parts here for aesthetics, and I fully understand I may sacrifice some performance as a result. And I am okay with that. This was also not an economical build, I spent the money to get a "numbers matching" PC (MSI themed video card, motherboard and CPU cooler) and I wanted parts that would sync up with this black / red theme.

Here is what I've come up so far. Just waiting for the new case to arrive (it was the last one on the internet, seriously, it took me a few hours of searching to find it). So expect pictures and updates later this afternoon.

Motherboard = MSI MEG Z390 ACE (12 phase power IIRC)

Memory = G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Intel Z270 / Z370 Memory (Desktop Memory) Model F4-4000C18D-16GTZ

CPU = Intel Core i5-9600KF Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.6 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I59600KF Desktop Processor Without Graphics
$200

CPU Cooler = MSI Core Frozr XL 120MM

SSD = SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 2-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7P512BW

CASE: Cooler Master Sileo 500

I figured I would go for broke with the m.2 NVMe SSD, so this one ranks pretty high up in the speed department and seems to get rave reviews with one user even claiming a 5 second boot time (seems dubious but at the very least I am future proofing this build)

Cooling will be a major concern as I begin to turn up the wick.

So, I'll be back later with some updates :)

Last edited:
I get by okay with USB external optical drives when I need to do optical. My only complaint it that they max out the DVD writing speeds at 8x. You can still buy USB ones that write at 24x but they are clunky and need wall wort power.

I slow down write speeds anyway, so that wouldn't bother me. What I need is a writer that writes good quality CDs and my internal Plextor is the one. The discs that come out of it sound far better than the ones I got from a long line of crappy LG, LiteOn and Samsung ODD. The Plextor almost eliminates coasters and the sound quality of the discs it burns is way above anything else I've tried.

I slow down write speeds anyway, so that wouldn't bother me. What I need is a writer that writes good quality CDs and my internal Plextor is the one. The discs that come out of it sound far better than the ones I got from a long line of crappy LG, LiteOn and Samsung ODD. The Plextor almost eliminates coasters and the sound quality of the discs it burns is way above anything else I've tried.

I'm hard of hearing enough that good audio is lost on me. I just need it to be loud with no international accent.

My rig gets loud enough for me to hear the details, still. LOL Although years of abusing what used to be great hearing (The Army told me I could be a German Shepherd if I wanted. LMAO!) has degraded it considerably.

Nice card reader! May I ask who made it? I could use one of them, possibly two. LOL

Yes, I picked that up from the same place I got the case. PPCS, www.performance-PCs.com
Site mainly deals in water-cooling but they have some excellent system builders equipment. I also picked up a carbon fiber weave for cabling to complete the grey/ gunmetal look that I am going for inside the case. Their site is a little slow but they really have some good stuff there. Lighting fast shipping as well.

Details on the card reader / fan controller:

detail.png

A link to all their 5.25" Card readers / fan controllers:

https://www.performance-pcs.com/case-parts-mods/bay-hardware/5-1-4-inch-bay-devices.html

The specific one I purchased was $39.99:

STW Multfunction 5.25 inch Bay device with Fan Controller, USB 3.0, eSATA, HD Audio, & All-in-One Card Reader
SKU: STW-3008

Never hurts to have a fully charged headlamp and flashlight for builds like this:

flashlight.jpg

ps. CPU upgrade on the table there is a Core i7-640M for my Lenovo T510.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7 Mobile I7-640M CP80617004152AE.html
(2.8GHz, 3.4GHz turbo, dual core w/ hyperthreading)

Sad to say But I must now update my avatar... goodbye Phenom II you served me well!

Thx! I've gotten a few things from them (Anyone want a Black Ice GTX 280? In red?). Haven't been on th esite for a while so this is good motivation to check it out again.

My rig gets loud enough for me to hear the details, still. LOL Although years of abusing what used to be great hearing (The Army told me I could be a German Shepherd if I wanted. LMAO!) has degraded it considerably.

I was expecting your reply to be, "I hear ya'."

Yeah, but it probably wouldn't be true! LOL

:clap:I love your sense of humor. Your comment about the military telling you they could let you be a German Shepherd made me He Haw! It could have been a line from Gomer Pyle.:D

A lady Lieutenant actually told me that at the AFEES center after my physical. She pulled out the MOS book from a bottom drawer while looking at my test scores and physical results (which they screwed up) and told me to pick whatever I wanted out of the book that didn't require 20/20 vision. So there went tanks and choppers and sniper. That's when she told me with my hearing test I could sign up for German Shepherd and probably get a waiver for it. They made me take the hearing test three times because they didn't believe me. "No no no! Don't release the button until you actually hear the sound!" "But I can hear it. Try it again." After three tries with no false positives they just said "Go be a guard dog". I'd love to see what they actually wrote on the paperwork. LOL

If I hadn't been a dumb 18 year old (Is there another kind?) I would have joined the Navy and signed up for sonarman on a sub.

Yeah, you could have been a sonar guy and not have to use headphones.

My wife has super keen hearing and smell. Drives me nuts! I can never get away with passing gas when I'm anywhere on our property.

I finished up the build last night at about 3am. Very happy with the way it looks, fits my vision exactly in terms of aesthetics - and performance.
First post was successful, always a nice feeling!

Very close tolerances. I have less than 1mm between the video card and the hard drive cage.

Also, the side panel goes on and clears the CPU cooler by less than 2mm... tight fit!

The MSI Core Frozr XL has provisions for two 140mm fans (stock is 120mm), in case I need better performance for overclocking. So that's a nice insurance policy knowing that I can upgrade what I already have.

I was too tired to overclock last night, so I'm tackling that today. Just putting the finishing touches on it now such as cable management. Looks like I wont be able to use my carbon fiber wiring sleeve kit, so I've settled for wire management with zip ties attached to the case frame. (I will post pictures shortly)

I ordered two Noctua NF-12 120mm fans to replace the existing case fans. These two fans will be controlled by my front display 5.25" card reader/fan controller.

I will be working on getting windows 10 installed in the next few hours and then we can let the fun begin!

5.00GHz here we come!

P-20200222-032128.jpg
P-20200222-032122.jpg
P-20200222-032016.jpg
P-20200222-030446.jpg
P-20200222-030131.jpg
P-20200222-025626.jpg
P-20200222-024324.jpg
P-20200222-024105.jpg
P-20200222-024054.jpg
P-20200222-012044.jpg
P-20200222-011935.jpg
P-20200222-011616.jpg
P-20200222-011535.jpg
P-20200222-011521.jpg
P-20200221-204342.jpg
P-20200221-204357.jpg
P-20200221-204334.jpg
P-20200221-204236.jpg
P-20200221-204154.jpg
P-20200221-204148.jpg
P-20200221-202258.jpg
P-20200221-202252.jpg
P-20200221-202244.jpg
P-20200221-185046.jpg
P-20200221-184818.jpg
P-20200221-184728.jpg
P-20200221-184700.jpg
P-20200221-184600.jpg
P-20200221-184512.jpg

Power phases for dayz!
P-20200221-184418.jpg

Last edited:
A lady Lieutenant actually told me that at the AFEES center after my physical. She pulled out the MOS book from a bottom drawer while looking at my test scores and physical results (which they screwed up) and told me to pick whatever I wanted out of the book that didn't require 20/20 vision. So there went tanks and choppers and sniper. That's when she told me with my hearing test I could sign up for German Shepherd and probably get a waiver for it. They made me take the hearing test three times because they didn't believe me. "No no no! Don't release the button until you actually hear the sound!" "But I can hear it. Try it again." After three tries with no false positives they just said "Go be a guard dog". I'd love to see what they actually wrote on the paperwork. LOL

If I hadn't been a dumb 18 year old (Is there another kind?) I would have joined the Navy and signed up for sonarman on a sub.

This is why I take your advice on audio gear :thup:

Back