• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Reckon "INTEL Wants Us Dead"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So you can make a 386 now without legal action. Pentium+ is still covered in the 20 year patent expiration time and this is where the fun stuff. SIMD is also a patent they hold, in many varieties.

Yeah, following the meaning of the laws would never work. I mean, it has gotten us this far right? Antitrust lawsuits flying around the globe and a total economic collapse. Let us not follow the law, let us make new legaleese that goes to the highest bider.

EDIT: I pulled my original post as it may have been inflammatory, I apologize.
EDIT 2:We are getting a little off topic if we veer far this thread will be closed I have been assured of that. We are not here to discuss our opinions about the law's in question (or any other laws) we are expressing our views about the agreement and attempting to understand the case (or lack thereof).

Last edited:
Needless to say I think keeping AMD here is important. All of us who like high performance cheap PC's cry out (with your wallets)!

I recently bought a new amd cpu and mobo, and an ati graphics card =)

Needless to say I think keeping AMD here is important. All of us who like high performance cheap PC's cry out (with your wallets)!

I recently bought a new amd cpu and mobo, and an ati graphics card =)

I'm against keeping most things. I think the auto industry needs to be saved from oblivion... but the airlines, the banks, AIG, and Starbucks all need to go.

I believe this because I feel the way they all do business is wrong and they've each played a part in bringing our economy wrong.

That said, I've made the argument many times over that AMD has been badly managed for too long and I would love to see them bought out by IBM or Texas Instruments, or somebody who's going to get the job done RIGHT.

I hate seeing a company I used to respect beaten, peed on, and dragged through the mud.

New ownership is the only thing that can help AMD at this point. They're so far in the wrong direction they can see Sarah Palin's house from Russia.

A lot of the trouble is simple bad luck... but bad luck combined with mismanagement leads to... well... their reality today.

AMD needs to start innovating again. Meaning smaller form factors for their CPUs, less power consumption for their video cards, maybe slightly higher prices for the time being so they can actually have some MONEY. (You guys being cheap Phenoms aren't actually doing AMD any favors...)

On top of that they need to start making some DEALS. More AMD processors in things like cell phones, camcorders, and MP3 players. Whatever they can do under the sun to become profitable again. Their current management has decided to stay the course.

That road leads to Oblivion...

I agree that AMD needs to innovate but my guess is that Intel is going to do everything they can at present to stop that up and including injunctions until the current case is resolved.

I think that Amd really made quite a mistake when they signed this x licensing agreement. I know basically everything runs of x86, but amd should really put some $$$ into RandD to get their own instructions and keep intel from using anything new Amd come up with. I doubt that Intel could get anywhere close to the John Rockefeller level of monopoly, but they might try and keep Amd as weak as possible to keep competition down.

I think that Amd really made quite a mistake when they signed this x licensing agreement. I know basically everything runs of x86, but amd should really put some $$$ into RandD to get their own instructions and keep intel from using anything new Amd come up with. I doubt that Intel could get anywhere close to the John Rockefeller level of monopoly, but they might try and keep Amd as weak as possible to keep competition down.

Great concept but implementation is almost an impossibility without investment of money AMD does not have.

AMD tried doing several small-scale instruction sets and got nowhere (ever hear of 3DNow!?). Intel has such a huge chunk of the market that AMD either follows their lead on popular instruction sets or gets left out ...

"Alive" but "weak"... Now THAT's great business! Even Microsoft couldn't achieve the "weak" part with Apple...

This is unfortunately true... There would have to be whole new or atleast altered versions of windows and all other os's. Not to mention people aren't really looking for new and exciting with the economy the way it is...

Actually not so a custom linux distro with a windows VM. It would be limited but..............

Actually not so a custom linux distro with a windows VM. It would be limited but..............

Actually this may not be a bad idea and as a test certain registers could be DA (the ones for the instructions in question) and run linux using a limited test market.

Rainless, I would rather see Intel take the dump with all of their stifling practices. AMD would need to continue their reorganization but continue the direction. Intel has become too much like Microsoft and IBM. Control freaks that hold on to stale technology too long. Microsoft is still producing Basic compilers (yes a noob language from the 70s). Dot net is just MS-Basic on steroids. IBM is still trying to achieve Peta-flops with massive machines. Someday AMD will do it with Video cards a DAAMIT product. Credit to NVidia too, another smaller innovative company. ONE video card in your box today will out-flop the Cray room filler from the 80s; search for it! Think of it as the grocery store. It's 3/4s full of sugar loaded products that we should not have because we are too lazy to cook the real stuff. People are so sold on Intel because it is too easy to believe the hype. Yes a penryn still is faster in all the benches and neha is a few steps ahead but for 90% of the PC users out there the AMD platform is so much better. Phenoms and Extremes are more for us on the scientific, developer and enthusiast side of the business but for mainstream it should be AMD with 75% of the market.

i see,intel and amd always rowing,if everyone had an intel the world would be full off quad cores by intel,amd made a quad core out of 4 single chips whereas intel with there quad cores put two dual cores together,

the phenom 9850 - http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/processors/amd_phenom_9850/images/Phenom.jpg

and the intel quad [Q6600] -

http://www.techzine.nl/uploaded/46755_48303d4c.jpg

can anyone see the difference? :)

intel you cheap suckers
I'm not sure that this is really relevant to the conversation , OK you seem to think it is so let me point out how flawed your thinking is . First off whether it is a single piece of silicone or 2 wafers glued together the results are still the same the Farcts are also unchanged as we all know one of the BEST Quad cores ever to come out is still the Q6600 it over clocked like mad it ran circles around AMD's Quad cores ALL OF THEM ! ( at the time ) and this all done with 2 cores glued together to me that speaks volumes as to the testament and quality of Intel's products Intel moved forward after a long hard fought P4 battle and now are on top of there game I still have yet to see AMD come out with some thing competitive to even MY Q9650 ! So with that said lets not make this a Intel VS AMD thread . Intel will never be able to shut down AMD this is just not going to happen and that too is a fact .

i see,intel and amd always rowing,if everyone had an intel the world would be full off quad cores by intel,amd made a quad core out of 4 single chips whereas intel with there quad cores put two dual cores together,

the phenom 9850 - http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/processors/amd_phenom_9850/images/Phenom.jpg

and the intel quad [Q6600] -

http://www.techzine.nl/uploaded/46755_48303d4c.jpg

can anyone see the difference? :)

intel you cheap suckers

I agree with Trick that is not what this thread is about. Trick you did push the envelope but you also tried to bring this back on course after your vent, Thanks.

As to your post (SCFAdamVcG) it is not relevant to this topic and uhhhh?? do some fact checking please find out what the pics are besides pretty pictures please.

I'm against keeping most things. I think the auto industry needs to be saved from oblivion... but the airlines, the banks, AIG, and Starbucks all need to go.

I believe this because I feel the way they all do business is wrong and they've each played a part in bringing our economy wrong.

That said, I've made the argument many times over that AMD has been badly managed for too long and I would love to see them bought out by IBM or Texas Instruments, or somebody who's going to get the job done RIGHT.

I hate seeing a company I used to respect beaten, peed on, and dragged through the mud.

New ownership is the only thing that can help AMD at this point. They're so far in the wrong direction they can see Sarah Palin's house from Russia.

A lot of the trouble is simple bad luck... but bad luck combined with mismanagement leads to... well... their reality today.

AMD needs to start innovating again. Meaning smaller form factors for their CPUs, less power consumption for their video cards, maybe slightly higher prices for the time being so they can actually have some MONEY. (You guys being cheap Phenoms aren't actually doing AMD any favors...)

On top of that they need to start making some DEALS. More AMD processors in things like cell phones, camcorders, and MP3 players. Whatever they can do under the sun to become profitable again. Their current management has decided to stay the course.

That road leads to Oblivion...

OT but I must have my say. People spending their own cash can save any company they want through purchasing their products or investments, this is a free market working as it should. Notice I did not say I want AMD to get bailed out by the money printers, I just spend my hard earned income for a set of products I felt performed great for the price, and I felt good about helping out AMD in the process. I have always loved AMD as a company, though they definitely made a big mistake with the perfomance of the phenom 1 line.

It is when government comes in with its power of forced wealth redistribution, and saves one company at the expense of other, where the problem comes into play. They take money from a successful company, then give it to GM, and say here now you can compete with the successful guys with their own money!

I think their were a lot of complaints, many justified, about AMD's last management team, but the current one has done much better. At least when they were mismanaged they got new management. Many times in our system not only do the inept stay, but they are vastly over paid at the same time.

The redistribution of wealth has been a normal course in our economic system for centuries. However in the past decade the redistribution has been from the poor and middle class to the wealthy. This same kind of concentration of wealth preceded the Great Depression.

As for a free market, there is nothing free about a market dominated by large international cartels who are above regulation by any national government. Intel is one of these companies and through size, aggressiveness and total disregard for rules of fair play, they will wreak havoc. Consumers need to decide if they support them or not by voting with their dollars at the market place.

R7 :beer:

R7 is right, we have governing power for a reason. People use all the political terms about it they want varying from which media they watch. Money is a product the of government and treasuries. CPUs and Tech is of companies. Large holding companies with the potential to destroy millions of lives being saved can not be compared to monopoly CPU companies. I can't add any more to which countries are seeing AMD as strategic and why but that is already in play. How much global politics are in play with "Why Intel wants AMD dead" will unfold over the years as this battle to gain market share continues. Some ways to secure market share is to provide the Best CPUs and Chipsets that perform and don't have many problems. Service the customer right, don't lie and don't cheat. As for the regulation part of it, better regulation would have prevented the cheating Intel has done just as preventing the mess economic systems are in now.

Back