• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Impulse buy display ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

The talk about monitors in another thread reminded me I'm looking at a new system later this year. I thought to myself, why not a new display to go with it? I don't need to wait either, since it isn't tied to the system unit.

My current main gaming and general display is a 24" 1440p 144Hz TN G-Sync native display. It's a high end TN, so colours and viewing angle are great.

I've not thought about exactly what I need or want, but following would be on my wish list:
  • Decent colour out of the box. Gamut should cover sRGB at a minimum.
  • G-Sync Compatible certified at minimum, native G-sync a plus
  • 27" - 28" class is probably optimal. I wish for a bit more than 24" but certainly 32" is way too big to fit.
  • Doesn't need astronomical refresh rates. 120 Hz floor is fine. Any more than that is a plus but not essential.
  • I wonder if 1440p will be too low resolution at 27"+ so I'm thinking of making the move to 4k.
  • Don't care about HDR. If it is there, great, but I wouldn't go out of my way or pay more for it.
  • OLED could be nice.
  • I prefer matte displays over gloss, but wouldn't rule out gloss.
  • 16:9 aspect ratio or very close, no ultra-wides.
Just thought I'd throw this out for suggestions while I go look in parallel. I haven't listed a budget since I'm not working to one specifically. How much of the above can I get at what cost?

I'm in the same boat(ish). Currently running a 27" 2560x1440 165hz IPS. But my next upgrade will be significant to larger diagonal (32"), increase in res (4k) UHD, at least the same Hz (165+), with a better panel type (oled, or miniled).

If money was no object, the Samsung 57" dual 4k dual hd display would be mine...

1440p at 27/28", IMO, is good ppi... but how you react from going from a 'tiny' 1440 to
'normal' no idea. I suggest looking at it in a store. If it's not enough, 4k time. ;)

That said, if I was you, I wouldn't upgrade or make it more significant of one. Larger diag, same res, similar hz, no hdr, doesn't scream worth it, to me.

That said, if I was you, I wouldn't upgrade or make it more significant of one. Larger diag, same res, similar hz, no hdr, doesn't scream worth it, to me.
Did I write too much that details got missed? I do want to step up: from 1440p to 4k, 24" to 27"+. Refresh rate really doesn't have a big impact to me above 120 Hz baseline. I tried HDR, it just doesn't do anything for me that I wouldn't make it a must have feature. Keeping the door open for it is ok.

I've had my first look around. As feared my combination of requirements is a challenge. Doesn't look like I can get 4k OLED around 27". I would have to drop down to IPS as I really don't think I'd want to go to 32"+.

I wonder if we have some cultural differences on size perception. To me 24" is a good standard size display. 27 is on the large side, and 32+ are TVs.

No? You said you were "wondering" if the 1440 27/28" PPI was good enough and "thinking" about moving to 4K. The rest, I don't deem worth the trouble or cost. :)

Cultural differences? No idea, but a 24" monitor screams 1080p to me, 27/28" is 1440, and larger than that is 4K. For me, the increase in resolution to 4K on a 27/28" monitor is too small for daily use. I use one on the test bench, and even with 'larger' icons, some things are not easy (for these eyes) to read, so I need more physical screen real estate. You may not have that issue. Working with 2x 27" now, a 32" monitor that's my arm's length away (long arms, lol) doesn't feel like a "TV". I had a 32" TV 20+ years ago though... CRT! :)

Apologies I don't know of any specific panels. I love my Acer Predator (XB271HU), but it's a few years old at this point. I'm sure you can find something similar/better for less than the $400 it's still being sold at.

Last edited:
I used to own a 28" 4k display. It did need a little resolution scaling for desktop use. Looked great in games, even if GPUs of the time struggled to drive it. 1440p at 24" is ok for me at 100% scaling. For gaming, I do feel 1080p is a bit low resolution at 24".

I have the XB241YU almost reaching 7 years old, hence looking to see what I can get today. My first flat panel TV was 32" so that may be why I associate it as such. I still feel it is too large for my desk, and no, a bigger desk is not a consideration at this time!

I will say that I currently still dont like the options out there for displays.

The next display I get will be:
1000+ Nits
90%+ DCI-P3
120Hz + w/ Adaptive Sync (No nvidia till they have open-source Linux drivers)
UHD+
~32"

So far I cannot find my perfect screen, I am still rocking my Dell UltraSharp UP3216Q and while its old, not HDR, not high refresh, not adaptive sync, its been rock solid and as someone who works from home and games at night, it ticks all the minimum requirements.

Last edited:
Looking at that list, I'd have to instantly rule out two on size. The 2nd Asus doesn't seem to be sold where I am, leaving the Dell as a contender. On specs it seems fine if unremarkable. Compared to my current display I'd get same resolution at the next size up, HDR which I don't have, and a slight bump to refresh rate. Price is quite affordable, although the UK price for it isn't nearly as good as the US one.

I shouldn't rush into these things, as tempting as it is for "new toy!".

no dont rush into a monitor buy, too much can go wrong.

I will say that unless its HDR1000 rated ignore the HDR "feature." HDR10 and HLG both require a peak white of 1000 nits, so while the display will map HDR sources it has to compress it down to either 400 nits or 800 nits causing all your content to be darker and compresses the actual colors as well meaning it still wont match the intended colors.

The only device I have that supports HDR is my LG OLED TV, and I have a vague memory reviews said it wasn't the brightest in that area. I tried it a bit but decided I'd rather not use it at all.

Might just be me, I often find displays to be too bright. One of the first things I usually do when getting a new display is turning the brightness right down, depending on the device usually 50% or lower.

First is too large. 2nd has already been mentioned in this thread. I do not see the XG27UCS for sale in the UK. I note it was first reported about a month ago. Is it actually out yet?

Edit: having had a think about a 32", rather than keep saying it wont fit on my desk, I'll turn it around. What could make that size work for me? Wall mount maybe? Gets it further away from me.

First is too large. 2nd has already been mentioned in this thread. I do not see the XG27UCS for sale in the UK. I note it was first reported about a month ago. Is it actually out yet?

Edit: having had a think about a 32", rather than keep saying it wont fit on my desk, I'll turn it around. What could make that size work for me? Wall mount maybe? Gets it further away from me.
That Dell is a steal with a price like that. :eek:

Back