• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FreeSync, G-Sync, Kitchen Sync?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mackerel

1711793469163.png

Above is the cheap monitor I bought recently. The web page, as shown, lists FreeSync and G-Sync, or a close approximation (spacing, capitalisation). So far I've been unable to get variable refresh rate working with Nvidia GPUs. There is a menu in monitor which allows Adaptive Sync to be turned on/off. Doesn't help. Note the display only has HDMI, no DP input. To my understanding this might be the problem.

To my understanding, early FreeSync over HDMI was an AMD proprietary implementation, so it will never work with Nvidia. The HDMI VRR implementation would work, but was released with HDMI 2.1. Some 2.0 devices (like my LG TV) included it. This monitor claims to support HDMI 1.4. Too old? I don't have an AMD GPU on hand to test. My laptop does have a 5800H but given it is a hybrid it isn't clear how it is connected internally thus I don't feel me failing to get VRR working on that either is conclusive.

I have more recently looked at other similar spec low cost displays from various bigger name manufacturers. Some only list FreeSync, some list Adaptive Sync. I'm guessing they will use similar tech. I am bouncing e-mails off their support but I do not have confidence it is going anywhere. I'm thinking of returning this monitor.

I'll make the final decision on returning it early next week. The bigger branded similar spec models likely have the same problem, in that they're also HDMI 1.4 and no DP. I'll have to pay more for something better.

Kinda want an AMD GPU to prove my theory on this, that the VRR can work but not correctly described. I'm not buying an AMD GPU just to test this, and I don't know anyone with one locally.

Apart from the VRR not working, it isn't a bad display. Good viewing angles and colour. Even the speakers are not the worst monitor ones I've come across.

Oh wow I had no idea it was only $70 lol. Yeah can't say I'm super surprised!

But I wish you luck in troubleshooting!

View attachment 365632

Above is the cheap monitor I bought recently. The web page, as shown, lists FreeSync and G-Sync, or a close approximation (spacing, capitalisation). So far I've been unable to get variable refresh rate working with Nvidia GPUs. There is a menu in monitor which allows Adaptive Sync to be turned on/off. Doesn't help. Note the display only has HDMI, no DP input. To my understanding this might be the problem.

To my understanding, early FreeSync over HDMI was an AMD proprietary implementation, so it will never work with Nvidia. The HDMI VRR implementation would work, but was released with HDMI 2.1. Some 2.0 devices (like my LG TV) included it. This monitor claims to support HDMI 1.4. Too old? I don't have an AMD GPU on hand to test. My laptop does have a 5800H but given it is a hybrid it isn't clear how it is connected internally thus I don't feel me failing to get VRR working on that either is conclusive.

I have more recently looked at other similar spec low cost displays from various bigger name manufacturers. Some only list FreeSync, some list Adaptive Sync. I'm guessing they will use similar tech. I am bouncing e-mails off their support but I do not have confidence it is going anywhere. I'm thinking of returning this monitor.
I thought it can't be both????:unsure:

They will be labeled as G-Sync compatible on the Nvidia control panel, but the list of monitors "certified" to work properly is regrettably very short. My own Asus VG27WQ1B is supposedly compatible because of the Freesync Premium but doesn't work properly on some games (yes, it's the monitor, was already out of return date when I found out).

Following is my understanding, do correct if needed.

G-Sync native versions need the NV hardware module. Only works over DP. Older displays might only support G-Sync. Newer ones can also support Adaptive Sync.
G-Sync Compatible - note the capital "C" on Compatible, is an NV certification for standards based VRR, and can apply on both DP and HDMI 2.x connected displays. For HDMI, VRR was only formally added in HDMI 2.1 but some 2.0 displays also supported it, like my TV.
FreeSync can be over DP or HDMI. I'm not so sure about the HDMI versions here. As far as I can tell, over old HDMI it was AMD proprietary. For newer HDMI it should be standard VRR so work on NV. I think this is why this monitor doesn't get detected as VRR capable by NV GPUs regardless of the manufacturer's claims. I don't have a directly connected AMD GPU to test that could work with FreeSync on this display.

I still haven't returned it and I guess that means I'm not going to. VRR was a nice to have feature but it was going to be used on test systems and/or as a secondary display, where it still works fine.

I have an old cheapo 32" Philips 1440p FreeSync monitor that also works on Nvidia GPU under G-Sync. Not listed by Nvidia but it works anyway.

I have an old cheapo 32" Philips 1440p FreeSync monitor that also works on Nvidia GPU under G-Sync. Not listed by Nvidia but it works anyway.
Recent enough NV GPUs should work with FreeSync over DP. My problems stem from the display only has HDMI, and I suspect the older version VRR implementation is not compatible with NV.

Back