• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ARMA III : Official Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Most of those are controlled through the Object menu accessed by double clicking on the position you would like an object(or existing object) then using the drop downs to select characteristics, that is where a majority of the work that needs to be done. After that you can start scripting and creating motion paths for certain npc's along with environment triggers and emplacements. I usually set probability radii for opfor so that the positions of enemies are random within a certain area.

It took me a bit to get a hang of quickly creating scenarios in armaII but once I had the basics down it was quite effortless, probably one of my favorite things to do in the game. I have a pretty awesome scenario in mind I can't wait to setup tonight...

Btw have you seen any physx implementation yet or is that going to be in the final release?

Other than the ragdoll which I don't think has much to do with Physx I'm not seeing any unless the vehicles are controlled by it. I'm hoping for an increase of particles with the phsyx 3.0 like in the Unreal 4 engine demo's. I searched through all the settings files and didn't see a mention of phsyx on or off in them I'm not really sure how to tell what its being used for or if its enabled at the moment.

Thanks for the explanation of items and I like what you were talking about the NPC's and them spawning in random areas. I like that Idea a lot I was playing around a lot with them following leaders but tonight I want to look at scripting them some paths in the town so I can add some routes for them to walk vs being static till they hear a shot.

I know I don't fully understand how to setup the scripting and triggers yet but my goal is AI paths and some other static items in the map tonight. and importing cernarus ;)

Contrary to initial beliefs...it is NOT using ARMA III engine. It is using a modified version of the ARMA II engine, but will supposedly include code from ARMA III. Sort of a 2.5 if you will.

Aww man... Their dev blog lead me to believe otherwise. I'd really prefer it to use A3's engine. Either way I'm sure the stand alone will be fantastic.

Aww man... Their dev blog lead me to believe otherwise. I'd really prefer it to use A3's engine. Either way I'm sure the stand alone will be fantastic.

What post of theirs were you looking at? They used the words Arma 2.5 a lot lol. but if you have looked at some of their sample shots the environments look almost identical just the environment in general and some of the textures, trees and grass\bushes.

Man, reading some of the replies makes me think my PC would explode if I tried to run it. Guess I'll have to hold off until I upgrade, because as much as it pains me to say, my 5850s have finally gotten old. :(

I'm sure you can run it. just will be at much lower settings. I'm running everything maxed except view distance. and on that note the MP missions are much MUCH less intense than those short SP missions.

Adding chernarus into the ARMA III Alpha is proving difficult. I have been able to get into the map in the editor but ere are so many things missing from it that I'm trying to convert its going to take a while. not to mention I can't find some of the files its asking for. but I'm getting closer....

Hey fellas, can you give me some tips on flying the hydra with KB and Mouse? I'm having a seriously difficult time with that mission. Seems like I turn to slow and during my strafing runs I always end up lazy drifting to the left or right on my decline.

Well if you haven't... I would say remap all the controls lol if you ever played BF 3 or anything like that I would try and mimic those controls its much more intuitive than the way they try and make you fly it.

But I have only done that mission once but once I had the controls down it was much better.

The big thing I changed was to invert the mouse, for whatever reason they have it set so mouse up is nose up and vise versa. It was really messing me up, every time I pushed the mouse forward I was expecting to go forward :rofl:

Do you have a controller you could use? I will sometimes use a controller for flying(pc 360) but I definitely prefer a joystick, you can also use a ps3 controller hooked up via mini usb. If not as pvt mentioned changing the control scheme to something akin to BF makes a huge difference.

The big thing I changed was to invert the mouse, for whatever reason they have it set so mouse up is nose up and vise versa. It was really messing me up, every time I pushed the mouse forward I was expecting to go forward :rofl:

First flight I ended up standing the heli straight up and down on its nose because of that.... but yeah that's a must change!

and yes a controller or joystick is always better but if your cheap like me and don't want to buy one for one game :D That's how I do it and I do it pretty darn well.

Can't get into a particular wasteland server. Get the "ARMA 3 has stopped working" crash. Using latest nvidia beta didnt fix. Poop.

^^ I had a very similar issue, running as adminitrator(or compatibility) solved this for me, not sure if it will work in your case :shrug:

Do you have a controller you could use? I will sometimes use a controller for flying(pc 360) but I definitely prefer a joystick, you can also use a ps3 controller hooked up via mini usb. If not as pvt mentioned changing the control scheme to something akin to BF makes a huge difference.

I'll give the ps3 with usb mini a try. I've only got wireless 360 controllers but I think walmart sells like a $20USD adapter or something like that.

I did end up setting the controls up BF3 style though, W thrust S dec. thrust, A and D still roll but I try to stick to the mouse for rolling. Helped me out ridiculously.

Are you guys all using the in game server browser?

SO for those of you who have tried the alpha, does it run 'smoother' that Arma II?

Depends on what you mean by smoother. at a lower total FPS it feels smooth. The mouse is super responsive now the way it should be and not to mention all of the new stance controls its pretty freaking awesome if you like this style of game.

I am loving the way they implemented all of the weapon controls, switching sight mid-battle is awesome! That along side the stance shifting makes for some intense battles, especially when you design scenarios around them :p

@Tokae: Overall, yes. Although I think a more apt phrase for the changes would be "more fluid" everything seems to flow a lot better while not sacrificing the complexity of the ballistics we all love. As for hardware performance, it is significantly better in terms of optimization; to put that in perspective I am running 5760x1080 @ mostly high with frames in the 50's.

I am loving the way they implemented all of the weapon controls, switching sight mid-battle is awesome! That along side the stance shifting makes for some intense battles, especially when you design scenarios around them :p

@Tokae: Overall, yes. Although I think a more apt phrase for the changes would be "more fluid" everything seems to flow a lot better while not sacrificing the complexity of the ballistics we all love. As for hardware performance, it is significantly better in terms of optimization; to put that in perspective I am running 5760x1080 @ mostly high with frames in the 50's.

Very well described sir! I was going to go with refined myself but I don't think I can top that!

My scenario is almost done but I'm having issues with my respawn points I setup the description file and it says it set to respawn at Base but yet I always just come back 5 feet from where I died. obviously not as fun. plus that and the AI doesn't want to take my path's it seems. I setup the AI with vehicles and they just kinda sit there.

but I'm having so much fun playing with it all its been great! Just need to get all the new controls down.

EDIT: with sig below I'm get 45+ FPS everything maxed except post processing which is off not for FPS reasons I just don't like the effects. View distance is what I cut down and that increased FPS by a lot. over all the total number of AI in the game seems to be what kills so most of the SP missions are way more brutal to your PC than the MP Missions you would make or download from others in those my fps hits a low of 60

Speaking of this, I just saw someone with a weapon like sit down on the ground. He sat flat on his but and fired, how do I pull that one off? Made him look a like a bad mutha-shut yo mouth.

Back