• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zen 5/8950X etc... rumors, news, benchmarks....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unless it does something spectacular for gaming beyond what I currently use I have zero interest.

Supposedly Zen 5 is a gaming monster, but it really boils down to your current situation, types of games you play, and play style. Most people's situation is that they are far more likely to be GPU limited than CPU limited and anything with at least 6 cores from the last couple of generations from either Intel or AMD should be enough. However, if you have a strong GPU and like to play with higher frame rates and/or are willing to turn down settings to get higher frame rates, then a stronger CPU may be beneficial.

There are also the extremes as well, such as gamers who play fast paced shooters professionally (they need the best CPUs for the fastest frame rates possible) or people who play certain simulation type games where late game scenarios can bring most modern CPUs to their knees. These people will probably all go for Zen 5 if the rumors are true, but they don't make up a large percent of even the PC based gaming population.

Last edited:
Yep exactly. I can't imagine my 5900x to be a real limiting factor outside of maybe a couple % lows here and there.

Normal people don't upgrade every gen. Not everyone here is normal :D

Certainly gets more interesting the older your existing system is. Mine are Intel equivalent to Zen2/Zen3 so 2+ gens is a big enough step I'll be watching carefully.

Normal people don't upgrade every gen. Not everyone here is normal :D

Certainly gets more interesting the older your existing system is. Mine are Intel equivalent to Zen2/Zen3 so 2+ gens is a big enough step I'll be watching carefully.

If the rumors are true, Intel won't have anything to compete for at least 2 years, so if you are looking to upgrade, this is probably the one to get. Or wait for the 3d cache versions.

As mentioned earlier the rumoured doubling of FP resources would be massive for me, and likely let AMD clearly pass Intel in all product areas for the first time in Ryzen era, especially as Intel regressed in that area since 12th gen consumer.

As mentioned earlier the rumoured doubling of FP resources would be massive for me, and likely let AMD clearly pass Intel in all product areas for the first time in Ryzen era, especially as Intel regressed in that area since 12th gen consumer.

Out of curiosity, what work/play do you do where FP performance is so critical?

Out of curiosity, what work/play do you do where FP performance is so critical?
To save repeating things, see following thread from post 60 onwards.

To save repeating things, see following thread from post 60 onwards.

Based on what I've heard, Zen 5 will be a very good product for you.

I bet they are gonna hammer everything with more power to get the clocks up ala Intel.

Atta boys.

Being on roughly the same node (not too significant of a better node), I do expect W/Hz to go up, but it won't exceed the 230 W for max SOC power that Zen 4 established.

230w is getting up there, I can cool 265w on AMD 7nm but it is tough. I did just over 300w manually by accident once or twice in R23. Lol.. I think at 112c the system rebooted.

Good times..

I finally tamed my 7950X on my BOINC loads by adding a second 30mm X 360mm radiator to my existing loop with has a 54mm X 360mm rad. Finally am not throttling on the 95°C. thermal limit and downclocking. Just power limited to 235W now and clocks stay stable at the full-load clocks that each die is capable of which is 5.350/5.025 Ghz. Still staying under 90° C. and typically in the high 80's range for the good die and only high 70's for the mediocre die.

I finally tamed my 7950X on my BOINC loads by adding a second 30mm X 360mm radiator to my existing loop with has a 54mm X 360mm rad. Finally am not throttling on the 95°C. thermal limit and downclocking. Just power limited to 235W now and clocks stay stable at the full-load clocks that each die is capable of which is 5.350/5.025 Ghz. Still staying under 90° C. and typically in the high 80's range for the good die and only high 70's for the mediocre die.
Have you tried lowering voltages? I mean, these chips overclock better at manual, lower CPU voltage than stock. It's possible to run it at 1.25V and 5.7/5.2GHz. I'm just saying that this is how my 7950X acts on a single 360mm rad, and some other guys were sharing similar results on the forums. In short, enable PBO, max boost +200MHz, lower base voltage and it should be all.

Back