• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbox One X - So... Whos interested in one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I know not many people talk about consoles. But curious if anyone is interested iin the new one?

I've had a few over the years myself. Actually own (trying to sell) a PS4, got a PS4 Pro and Xbox and a Wii (I should hook it back up). Anyways I'll sell off my Xbox and get a Xbox One X (Pre-ordered). I got a still pretty old 1080P Vizio TV that gets the job done but, waiting for that sweet spot in 4k TV with HDR, which looks like its hitting that point and the price I'm willing to accept. Though even from the PS4 Pro having that and enjoying the extra power

Over the years I've been a PC player, I still do enjoy my PC games, heck just got a 1080TI and an Oculus Rift! Though there is just something relaxing about sitting back on the couch with a controller (yes I know PC games can use controllers) and playing a game without worrying about big glitches, patches, or settings to tweak before playing. What can I say I enjoy both worlds and I see their strengths for what they are good with.

^If they make it Oculus (or Vive) compatible, then why not? I've heard a few things about this... Might be in the pipeline!

Not I, I ended up selling my Xbox One because I never used it (granted, I almost never use my PS4 either), but with 1st party games on Xbox being able to be played on Windows 10 there's even less reason for me to own an Xbox.

I preordered the scorpio thingy. I need a 4k blu ray player anyway, and my last xbox was the first one, so why not? Shame the PS4 Pro doesn't play 4k discs, or I would have gotten one of those instead - the game library is much more interesting, especially since they're releasing the xbox games on PC.

I preordered the scorpio thingy. I need a 4k blu ray player anyway, and my last xbox was the first one, so why not? Shame the PS4 Pro doesn't play 4k discs, or I would have gotten one of those instead - the game library is much more interesting, especially since they're releasing the xbox games on PC.

Curious have you been able to get many 4k asset downloads yet? Only GoW4 shows stuff for me currently but I'm not sure it was a 4k asset download at all. Think those are supposed to show as a separate "install" on the app window so you can transfer/delete it if its not needed. Just curious got roughly 10 games, maybe more, that will require updates and want to make sure I'm not waiting for crap to download to enjoy the new console, still a few days out but eager here :)

Hey mods, this guy needs his decennial badge! :p

I keep going back and forth. I like my xbox one s, but I don't play it near as much as I play on the PC...

Maybe in a couple of years when the price drops to under $250.

Just hooked my Project Scorpio up and downloading first update. I don't know why but I always have to have all the consoles. I think since the original PS I've had every console from the Big 3 except the WiiU (I had plans to get one and actually bought games and some controllers for it that were on crazy good sales but waited to long and heard about the Switch so waited for it). Before that I was always happy being strictly Team N except for the TGFX16 detour.

Traded in XB1 and PS4 for Switch but kept all my games. Only thing that's held me off the PS4 Pro is rumors of an updated PS4 to compete better with the XB1X but if there is a good price on BF I will probably grab one so I can play GT.

I do prefer PC games but some games are just made to play on console. I think Fifa 18 is the only new game out I have any interest in getting. UFC3 when it comes out maybe otherwise its pretty slim pickings on MS side of things. Which is fine, I needed another UHD player and Switch has me plenty busy.

If your still looking for a good 4K TV at good price can't beat the TCL 55P607.

Last edited:
Just hooked my Project Scorpio up and downloading first update. I don't know why but I always have to have all the consoles. I think since the original PS I've had every console from the Big 3 except the WiiU (I had plans to get one and actually bought games and some controllers for it that were on crazy good sales but waited to long and heard about the Switch so waited for it). Before that I was always happy being strictly Team N except for the TGFX16 detour.

Traded in XB1 and PS4 for Switch but kept all my games. Only thing that's held me off the PS4 Pro is rumors of an updated PS4 to compete better with the XB1X but if there is a good price on BF I will probably grab one so I can play GT.

I do prefer PC games but some games are just made to play on console. I think Fifa 18 is the only new game out I have any interest in getting. UFC3 when it comes out maybe otherwise its pretty slim pickings on MS side of things. Which is fine, I needed another UHD player and Switch has me plenty busy.

If your still looking for a good 4K TV at good price can't beat the TCL 55P607.

Got my Scorpio edition sitting in the car... waiting for tonight and everyone to get their butts in bed.
Still eying up my 4k TV and you mentioned it TCL 55P607 is high on my sights... like it is the one, just got to wait at least til after this month, bills bills bills arg.

It showed up today, and I'm not even bothering to hook it up till maybe this weekend. I have 0 xbox one games and a single 4k movie to watch, so no rush. Any suggestions for games, bearing in mind that I prefer PC versions when they're available? Are there even any exclusives for xbox one that aren't also on PC? What about 360 exclusives I can play through backwards compatibility? I haven't had a console since the first xbox, so I probably missed some gems along the way..

Hmm, for whats out now. Maybe Fallout 4 GotY ed. if you didn't play it yet. You got the Middle Earth games. Forza 7 and Need for Speed Payback. Metal Gear Solid V: The Definitive Experience. Mass Effect Andromeda (I prefer this series on console to PC). FFXV pretty cheap now. Dark Souls III.

I have FO4, MGSV, and Dark Souls 3 on Steam. No way is the console doing better than a 1080 Ti. Great call on Mass Effect, I had forgotten that I stopped partway through Mass Effect 2 because I didn't like keyboard and mouse controls. I'll be sure to grab the whole series on console.

I did end up connecting it, it's about 15 minutes into a ~750MB update. Bleh.

Not for me last Console I had was a n64 and the last I played was the first Xbox .
I like sitting @ my desk playing games my self if it was on the family's main Tv I could never use it between the wife and the kids . Plus I like 1080P 100+fps with ultra settings few times I saw friends playing Bf1 (on a console) I was not impressed .

Last edited:
Its sooo small.... Not sure if newer controllers have this but I like the texture on the grip portion of the controller instead of the smooth surface.
Temp setup til I make sure everything is up and running.

Edit: And nice on the power consumption department standard Xbox Games, non4k, looks around 97-110W. 170-175W for 4k enabled games so far. Nifty little program MS put out called "Insects" that can show off 4k, HDR and Spiritual Audio from flicking a few switches. While I only tested the 4k aspect it sure made a stunning difference even on my pathetic 1080p TV.
Also thing is nearly dead quiet at 8-10ft away. I can't hear it on, where as the original unit I could hear it a very little... PS4 Pro on the other hand I can hear when its going and quiet in the room.

IMG_6251.jpg

Last edited:
I have FO4, MGSV, and Dark Souls 3 on Steam. No way is the console doing better than a 1080 Ti. Great call on Mass Effect, I had forgotten that I stopped partway through Mass Effect 2 because I didn't like keyboard and mouse controls. I'll be sure to grab the whole series on console.

I did end up connecting it, it's about 15 minutes into a ~750MB update. Bleh.

Good call on getting that update out of the way... updates take forever :/

As for games. My selections at least...
Racing Games = Forza Horizons 3 or Forza 7 for racing type games both are great.
Tomb Raider is fantastic! I got in late with the first one but played that before diving into the second one when it was released. The second one was updated for the console which looks fantastic.
Assassins Creed Origins/Middle Earth Shadow of War = I have yet to play this as I was waiting for the X to really enjoy it. With Middle Earth actually trying to finish up the first game here so I can enjoy the second one a little more and have that story line.

I have a few others Quantum Break, Halo 5, Halo Wars 2, Gears of War 4 that are Enhanced so far, waiting for a few more games to drop their updates to also enjoy them, but I haven't jumped into these. Out of them the Halos and GoW4 are the most significant upgrades to graphics. GoW4 and HW2 both have cross play to the PC if you buy the digital copy.

Oh another one is Titan Fall 2... I have it for the PS4, but supposed to look fantastic now with 2-6k resolutions. There is a minor glitch with it currently so hopefully they fix it where it can look a little off because of the scaling but overall its supposed to look really good. From the other console at least it looks great, and can't imagine what it looks like now with even more visual enhancements.

Unfortunately, Mass Effect 1/2/3 say 'not available' in the xbox store thing. Oh well.

I did get a weird glitch where I brought up Netflix on the xbox, my TV went into HDR mode, but the receiver switched from Atmos to just 'Dolby Surround' when I played a show. Then, when I went back to my computer on another input on the receiver, everything was very dark. I had to switch from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 and back to 4:4:4 to get the display looking right again. Maybe the TV got stuck in HDR mode or something. Netflix through the Win10 app showed Dolby Digital+ as normal. I'll have to fiddle with the settings and see if I can get the xbox playing nice when switching inputs on the receiver. If not, it'll be relegated to playing 4k discs only. I was hoping it would be my new Netflix client as well, since the W10 client doesn't seem to work with HDR.

Hmmmm Mass Effect should be on the Xbox backwards compatibility list... they made a big thing about it before Andromeda came out.

As for the glitch with Netflix... sadly its an issue that even haunts the PS4 users with HDR since it updated the application last year. If not mistaken the Xbox One S has the same issue too. When launching the app if you have HDR enabled, it automatically makes everything into HDR even though the content doesn't support it. So either you have to crank the settings on the TV to see anything or you have to disable it on the TV or Xbox from allowing it to turn on before launching the application. So no its not an issue with you its an issue with the Netflix application. Amazon Prime doesn't have this issue if not mistaken.

Then again most say if watching something like that and you have a smart TV, its better to use the application thats on the TV as it doesn't have these issues.

Edit:
Yeah Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 are on the backwards compatibility chart. Not sure if that is digital download or requires the disk type capatibility though. Sadly I got rid of mine after I sold my X360 after I got my Xbox One... should of kept them :/ Really liked those games.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

Ahh, thanks for the info on the HDR/Netflix thing. I would use the app on the TV, but my TV doesn't support Atmos over ARC, it's a LG B6, need a B7 for that feature :/

Maybe I'll just grab a Roku for streaming stuff.

Roku has been fantastic for me... got a model now 3 years old now but works like a champ for 1080p content.

Back