• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X299 and 7980XE in 2024

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you are using simulation software whether Ansys Fluent or SLB (Schlumberger former employee) geophysical reservoir simulation software, gas fluid simulation, computational neuroscience brain simulation programs (nephew is a professor of neuroscience), etc., all will benefit from as much ram as possible, an AVX512 multi core processors, and a mid-range RTX gpu for the CUDA programming platform.
IMO the Asus Tuf 2 being the first generation, second iteration series from 2017 introduced with the 7900x series, does have premium capacitors and chokes and mosfets, however the vrm specifications for stable overclocks is limiting. The Asus Prime Deluxe utilizes a slightly robust cooling of the vrm area with passive and active cooling, and a change to improved rectifiers. The 7900x and 9900x series were limited to128GB of system memory, where as you know the 10900x series were able to utilize 256GB of memory. Clean power delivery via your PSU is so important when all 8 dimm slots are in use.
My system and nephews system have been rock solid for almost 2 years now, using the Asus Prime Deluxe and Prime Edition 30 motherboards. Perhaps just lucky. Next will be TR 7960x or Saphire Rapids for the 8 channel memory, and pcie 5.0.

For my interest area X299 still has significant value. It has full fat AVX-512 which is absent in consumer tier CPUs. Current Intel and AMD offerings are weaker, although newer CPUs might overcome that weakness through clock. Also the quad channel DDR4 means it is still comparable to DDR5 systems in that area. To get comparable performance to my Intel 7920X right now on desktop I'd have to get an AMD 7900X which would be much more expensive.

As for filling out the collection, pass. This is simply "because I have everything else" to build a system already. It is only the mobo I'm missing and the Acer was cheap enough to be worth a go, even if it may be more limited as an OEM model. A few years ago I did want the 7740X as I wanted to try for quad core world records but more modern quad would easily pass it now.
You do know that the 7740x is only two channel memory compatible, right?

If you are using simulation software
I've outlined my use cases earlier so that is irrelevant.

Next will be TR 7960x or Saphire Rapids for the 8 channel memory, and pcie 5.0.
I was just looking at them again. The CPU pricing isn't too horrific but the mobo cost is to the moon. The last affordable HEDT platform was X299. TR scales in a bad way for me as I prefer monolithic-like CPU layout.

You do know that the 7740x is only two channel memory compatible, right?
Yes. Regardless, at the time it was the fastest quad core CPU. The only competition it had was the 7700k which was basically the same CPU, but the hope was Intel put the best binned silicon in the X over the k. More recent quad cores likely would beat it given I saw +39% IPC comparing Alder Lake to Skylake-X in Cinebench R15.

I've outlined my use cases earlier so that is irrelevant.

I was just looking at them again. The CPU pricing isn't too horrific but the mobo cost is to the moon. The last affordable HEDT platform was X299. TR scales in a bad way for me as I prefer monolithic-like CPU layout.

Yes. Regardless, at the time it was the fastest quad core CPU. The only competition it had was the 7700k which was basically the same CPU, but the hope was Intel put the best binned silicon in the X over the k. More recently may be irra quad cores likely would beat it given I saw +39% IPC comparing Alder Lake to Skylake-X in Cineb
Sorry, it may have been irrelevant to you, but others might be interested in other more pertinent
use cases for avx512 and 4-channel memory.

Agreed, X299 was most likely the last affordable HEDT platform available to the prosumer.

Good luck in your endeavours. looking forward to hearing about your next workstation platform.

I'm thinking of going mainstream next round. Just don't feel I can justify the cost vs benefit to go workstation and would rather put the cash towards a faster GPU. I'm thinking I could split my use cases more than I have. Basically right now I run two significant desktops, my main one that does a bit of everything, and a dedicated TV gaming system. I could keep the X299 system for the heavier work side, and get a more gaming and light work focused system to replace my main. Then I also wont run into a problem I have currently that long rendering tasks will prevent me from using my main system effectively. I look forward to the Arrow Lake vs Zen 5 battle ahead.

BTW for those who have been following my ram woes, I'm thinking of swapping the 7980XE and my old 7920X again. The 7980XE was mainly obtained to help in one CPU limited game that I don't play much any more. I don't think I had as many quirks with the 7920X so want to try that again. The 7980XE can still do well in a pure compute system. The only part I'm not looking forward to is re-validating the ram again on both. I still have an open question if the ram weirdness follows the mobo or the CPU. I can't tell until I swap them. I should get some more thermal compound on order.

For sure, the Motherboards for Xeons and Threadripper are certainly a 1000 USD or more today, a real deterrent to those of us who could use he compute power that these HEDT systems provide. That is why I would start with the entry Threadripper (7960x) at $1500, and switch up for resale 70x or 80x. Same goes for the Xeon W790 motherboards, and entry Xeon W5-2465x then later a Xeon W9-3465/75x upgrade.
Your ram issue is the most strangest I’ve ever heard, especially since it was running well for your for some time. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that my systems remain stable, as you say the new ones are almost out of my range.
I did acquire a couple of bargain spare Asus and EVGA X299 motherboards through the years, as well as other compatible components; so I think I can keep all my systems operational for a few more years yet. My X299’s do get a workout, some computations and simulations that last days at a time.

Last edited:
CPU swap done. I overpaid for some toothpaste at a local computer store as I've no idea where my paste is and I really should reorder something soon. I was running out anyway.

On my main X299 system (TUF mk2) the 7920X is back in. It still has the same problem in that it wont recognise a specific stick of a 4x 16GB kit so that is unchanged. It's happening with 2 CPUs so it points to the mobo. I have tried that stick in various slots and with fewer sticks, so it is not a faulty slot or some weird capacity thing. I was randomly discussing with the guy in the shop. He suggested it could be a new bios thing, but I don't recall doing any updates around the time this happened. Not sure I'm motivated to try reverting back to a much older version just to test this theory. I'm too lazy to try 8x8 again on this one so I'm in the process of checking 3x16 is still stable and will leave it alone.

On the other X299 system I've yet to experiment much with it yet other than making sure it boots. Will see if I can get more sticks to detect on that as I've not got above 4 previously.

I'm thinking of going mainstream next round. Just don't feel I can justify the cost vs benefit to go workstation and would rather put the cash towards a faster GPU. I'm thinking I could split my use cases more than I have. Basically right now I run two significant desktops, my main one that does a bit of everything, and a dedicated TV gaming system. I could keep the X299 system for the heavier work side, and get a more gaming and light work focused system to replace my main. Then I also wont run into a problem I have currently that long rendering tasks will prevent me from using my main system effectively. I look forward to the Arrow Lake vs Zen 5 battle ahead.

BTW for those who have been following my ram woes, I'm thinking of swapping the 7980XE and my old 7920X again. The 7980XE was mainly obtained to help in one CPU limited game that I don't play much any more. I don't think I had as many quirks with the 7920X so want to try that again. The 7980XE can still do well in a pure compute system. The only part I'm not looking forward to is re-validating the ram again on both. I still have an open question if the ram weirdness follows the mobo or the CPU. I can't tell until I swap them. I should get some more thermal compound on order.
Thats what i did with my X299 its in my guest room , remote access available to it in the network. its a Workhorse now.
HDD Toaster etc if i want to back things up it goes from there.
Encode a Movie etc Do it off that.

Frees up my Main pc for uninterupted use.
CPU swap done. I overpaid for some toothpaste at a local computer store as I've no idea where my paste is and I really should reorder something soon. I was running out anyway.

On my main X299 system (TUF mk2) the 7920X is back in. It still has the same problem in that it wont recognise a specific stick of a 4x 16GB kit so that is unchanged. It's happening with 2 CPUs so it points to the mobo. I have tried that stick in various slots and with fewer sticks, so it is not a faulty slot or some weird capacity thing. I was randomly discussing with the guy in the shop. He suggested it could be a new bios thing, but I don't recall doing any updates around the time this happened. Not sure I'm motivated to try reverting back to a much older version just to test this theory. I'm too lazy to try 8x8 again on this one so I'm in the process of checking 3x16 is still stable and will leave it alone.

On the other X299 system I've yet to experiment much with it yet other than making sure it boots. Will see if I can get more sticks to detect on that as I've not got above 4 previously.
Like i said before my 8x mem issues started after moving from a EVGA X299 FTW K mobo to a Asus TUF Mark 2 mobo.
As soon as the Tuf Mark 2 goes over 4.5ghz all core it starts acting up on the memory dropps 4 channels , the EVGA mobo didnt do that at all even ran it at 4.8-4.9ghz without memory drops before.
Issues started imediately after board swap and never resolved with any bios updates.

Otherwise it runs fine 24/7 with variable clocks i think 2c/4t are at 4.6 the rest 4.5 and its been stable for over a year.

IMG_20240423_131201.jpg IMG_20240423_131152.jpg

Got it! I decided to test the 8x8GB kit on the alt system now I can do it without messing around with my main. One stick is confirmed bad. I'm going through the rest to check them now.

I also figured out the system is a bit fussy over which ram slots you use. It looks like you have to use the outer one of a pair before filling the inner one. This is annoying for me because the AIO at the back presses on the outermost module if I use that slot, which I will need to if I want quad channel.

Edit: confirmed that stick also errors in a different system. The other 7 seem to be running without error so far. Debating if it is worth going through RMA. The effective cost of a stick isn't going to be that much different to shipping ram back and forwards, not counting the time cost to get it all done. I'm ok with running 4x8 in the alt system. Later I'll try 2x8 in one channel of my main and see if that works to balance it back up to quad channel and 64GB.

Last edited:
Here’s my experience FWIW:

As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, I had this same problem.
Corsair support recommended that the 64GB kit be installed in the corresponding dimm slot in sequence to the last number of the serial number. Kits of 2,4 or 8 DDR modules will have sequential serial numbers. For instance, my memory modules (in this kit of 4) start with serial number ending in 60, followed by 61, 62 and last one ending in 63. So module ending with 60 will go into DIMM C1, then 61 goes into A1, 62 to D1 and 63 to B1. And if you had 8 modules, 64 would go into C2, 65 into A2, 66 into D2, and finally 67 into B2.
When I tried this procedure, bingo it worked.
That was 2 years ago.
Two months ago I added another kit of 128 GB, I installed with 2 DIMM modules out of sequence and on boot encountered a memory error. checked my memory module install and sure enough 2 were out of sequence. Re-installed correctly and viola, system has been stable with all channels working.
No harm in trying this method, hope it works for you.

Attachments

• IMG_2350.jpeg
    IMG_2350.jpeg
    846.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7166.png
    IMG_7166.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 3
This isn't a minor question of stability. One stick is definitely bad. I can use that single stick as shown in the photo above and get errors, and this is repeated in another different gen system.

BTW I put 2x8GB in the 4th channel of my main system. The other 3 channels are 16GB 2R modules. Passed memtest and some aida64 so it seems good. I got +57% improvement in Prime95 ram limited benchmarks which seems too good for a theoretical +33% increase in max bandwidth. I wonder if there is some internal bandwidth limiting going on when you drop channels.

This isn't a minor question of stability. One stick is definitely bad. I can use that single stick as shown in the photo above and get errors, and this is repeated in another different gen system.

BTW I put 2x8GB in the 4th channel of my main system. The other 3 channels are 16GB 2R modules. Passed memtest and some aida64 so it seems good. I got +57% improvement in Prime95 ram limited benchmarks which seems too good for a theoretical +33% increase in max bandwidth. I wonder if there is some internal bandwidth limiting going on when you drop channel
There is a reason ram modules are bought in a kit. Sometimes there are just anomalies.

Back