• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to build in-expensive cruncher

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donuts

Just like the title says,

Here's what I've got so far,
Used psu on it's way
used ddr2 800 (4 gb)
Xigmatek (sic?) cooler
Misc vid cards and pretty sure a SATA hd.

I want to stick with an Intel quad setup. Is the extra cache worth the extra $?
q9650,q9550 vs q6600.

I'm also going to need a board. I would like overclocking options, but I don't need it to be bleeding edge. My main is p35 based, (for that matter all 3 quads I have now are p35) would p45 or another chipset bring more to the table?

I'm not trying for a complete budget build, but more a bang for the buck build.
I posted here because my teammates have a variety of crunchers and opinions on what would work best for what I'm doing.

I think you should go with the 9550, the recent price drop brought it down 20-30 bucks and it looks like it is going to outfold my 6600 2 to 1.

I think the next folder I build which will end up being my dad's machine is going to be the one gigabyte board newegg has with on board video and oc'ing options for 52 bucks. I forget what chipset it was.

Last edited:
That's what I was wondering about the 9550 over the 6600, there's still a 90.00 price difference even after the price drops. (q6600 about 180.00, q9550 about 270.00)

I am getting all kinds of compute errors on my 9550 now. I don't know what is going on. The 6600 is running 3.3 and is churning away without problems. I am running windows 7 on both machines. I have no idea what the problem is. I dropped the 9550 back to stock clock to see what happens. Might wanna stay with the 6600 lol.

The 9550 out produces the Q6600 quite significantly due to the doubled cache. Not to mention the 9550 clocks like crazy and runs cooler, even at higher overclocks. I would say it is most definitely worth the extra few bucks if you're buying new.

The q9550 is the best 45/65nm chip for folding IMO. And yes, I have used the Q6600 for folding extensively.

As far as Board goes, the P5E-VM-HDMI is a great choice if you want to go mATX because it has integrated graphics and clocks quads very well. Good way to save money and get a kick *** DDR2 board at the same time.
If not, a P5Q or P5E from ASUS or a P45 from Gigabyte would do you well.

I'll be putting an EP45T-Extreme up on the classifieds soon if you're interested.

Actually, I'd jump on the X48T-DQ6 that Paul just put up. For $140 there's no way you could go wrong. Along with the 4GB set of DDR3 he listed, you could get a killer machine going for a relatively small amount of money.
That board, 4GB of GSkill DDR3-1600 and my Q9550 is by far the best setup I have ever put together.

Last edited:
Just an update (and I've cluttered up the "status" thread enough) I did end up getting the 9550 and bad's EP-45T. I'm waiting for the board to arrive, although it does have to travel damn near the entire continent. While all this was coming about, my main rig decided to take a vacation. The MOBO left and I don't think it will be back.

The 'egg delivered a little box to the house today, a shiny, new 9550 and a UD3R. My old q6600 is now in said board and is letting me run @ stock settings. (I'm on it now!!) Tomorrow I should be able to push it back up to 3.0 and get it crunching again.

And yes I'm excited. I've been stuck on my antique P3 laptop.

Back