• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Grizzly Review... Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They somehow redesigned it, but it's like you said, a band-aid instead of a full redesign. In the end, we have 3 or 4 types of connectors. The one that works with RTX3000 series cards, the one which is compatible with RTX4000 only, but backward compatible with RTX3090/Ti. There is also the redesigned connector which is starting to appear in new PSUs. There are still two, 450W and 600W versions of them. For example, I have Lian-Li PSU, which I was reviewing last year. It has a 12VPWR connector, but it's totally useless as it's 450W only and officially works only with RTX3000 cards. The PSU was released when RTX4000 series was on the market.
Check this out. (y)

Check this out. (y)

It's a nice toy but useless for most users. GPU-Z shows most of that stuff for free (it shows PCIe connector power draw, but not on every card; it splits that into all connectors).
Enermax recently added it to their top PSUs. Worse is that Enermax had a break with their top series PSUs, and right now, it is not as competitive as before.

It's a nice toy but useless for most users. GPU-Z shows most of that stuff for free (it shows PCIe connector power draw, but not on every card; it splits that into all connectors).
Enermax recently added it to their top PSUs. Worse is that Enermax had a break with their top series PSUs, and right now, it is not as competitive as before.
Yep. Why would I buy that over say gpuz/hwinfo for free?

I also have no idea why that was posted in this thread as it has nothing to do with cablemod... :screwy:

EDIT: Moved to its own thread instead of necroing and hijacking an unrelated one....

Last edited:
Uses are niche but there. Any software based method will have some impact on the system performance, however little. If you're doing something on one screen, you'd need another to display the data.

I'm not sure I'd care about negligible performance differences with GPUz running when I'm checking voltage/power use, ya know? If I was benchmarking for a high score, sure, but otherwise...

GPUz/Hwinfo also has logging capabilities.

It's a neat toy and can be useful, but I wouldn't buy it unless I knew I had a problem with my system and exahausted the ability of the free tools we have that show the same information. If I just wanted to 'know' the voltage, chances are GPUz tells me without buying a $60 part. To each their own, doesn't bother my wallet! :)

EDIT: I guess if you want to be fed that information constantly and can actually see it easily inside your chassis (my case sits below the desk making that incredibly inconvenient), I can see it. (y)

Last edited:
I think it's cool the point I am making with this is the build quality there is not one burned up plug with device on a GPU. I emailed them and asked them about that. (y) Also the PS I have has good cables from the card to the grizzly.

Last edited:
To me it's like the digital flow meter for your water loop. It looks really cool & I'd love to have one, but my wallet always says "No!" My gamer's case is on my desk, but it doesn't have a side window. I'd have to take the side panel off to look at it. Ain't nobody got time for that. :)

To me it's like the digital flow meter for your water loop. It looks really cool & I'd love to have one, but my wallet always says "No!" My gamer's case is on my desk, but it doesn't have a side window. I'd have to take the side panel off to look at it. Ain't nobody got time for that. :)
Good point.:thup:

Over the years, while doing computer repair, I've purchased some tools like that one. My work was a side hustle away from my employer who would not purchase such items. If you need it, you need it. If you don't, then it has to be really compelling to warrant a purchase. Since I don't do much computer repair any more, I'm not the target consumer for it. I suspect that the market for something like this would be a large or very busy computer diagnostic/repair shop.

It is interesting to know that there is such a thing.

Back