• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD - Solid State Drive Technology Discussion Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good evening, My first post. Much thanks to all for all the great reading while lurking, I have learned so much. Thought you might like to see HDTach for 4x16GB MTRON Mobi in RAID 0, strip 8k (best setting) using on-board raid for EVGA680i, see attached. Profile is a bit jagged I was thinking about an IOP341 card either the Areca 1231 or the Highpoint 3520. The highpoint is almost half the cost, anyone have any experience with this controller?

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:
no raid card will help those ssd's, you got the mobi's not the pro's. mobi's dont have the the raid support like the pro's do.

I was hoping a h/w raid card with 400+MB/s capability would improve my throughput and reduce the spikyness of the read profile.
You don't think I can improve on what the weak mobo raid can do?

how does the Mtron MSD 6000 stack up aginst 2 raptors in raid zero?

ive seen the 16 gig model for $365, seems like a decent price to me

the Mtron will feel faster, its wont make any noise and runs alot cooler with less power. 2 raptors are nice but their access time cant compare, the raptors might be a little faster at opening very large files but thats it and if you open large files alot you would want larger drives then raptors

I have been using these drives for a couple months now. I have 4 x 16G Mtron Pros in RAID0 on an Areca 1231ML raid card. The only complaint about this setup is the 1231ML. It was a pain to setup with WinXP. I had a hell of a time trying to get the drivers loaded via a floppy. It took a few times to get the driver to actually take.

The other complaint is that I was looking for a significant boot speed increase. The problem is the Raid card takes an eternity to initialize and load its firmware. Any savings in the 4xRAID0 boot time were doubled by the raid card's initialization time.

Aside from the install and boot issue, this thing runs amazingly. Gaming load times are significantly reduced. My main game I play is Everquest2 (MMO), and you have to "zone" (load each major area you travel to). This has been incredibly sped up. I am pretty much garunteed to be the first person loading into instances and raid zones. It's kind of cool.

:thup: from me.

Last edited:
Aside from the install and boot issue, this thing runs amazingly. Gaming load times are significantly reduced. My main game I play is Everquest2 (MMO), and you have to "zone" (load each major area you travel to). This has been incredibly sped up. I am pretty much garunteed to be the first person loading into instances and raid zones. It's kind of cool.

:thup: from me.

i am so waiting for price to drop a little more.
32gb is the smallest size I want to get.

i am so waiting for price to drop a little more.
32gb is the smallest size I want to get.

Yea, I have 64G and it fills up extremely fast. WinXP, a few games and apps and I only have around 10G left. If you install Vista, you pretty much are forced to use a vLite install or you will be losing multiple Gigs worth of space in OS bloat.

I am sure in the next year prices will go down and storage space will go up. :beer:

me either, Dom is the one with the contact, i wonder if he has heard something. i think Dom may not bel able to visit us as much for some reason. call it a hunch here...

on the flip side, i read a article where intel will soon be releasing their own SSD drives. starting at 80gig going up to 160gig, when first release. i just wonder how fast these might be...

getting people setup for a ealry April fools joke maybe... as it would take some "secret" memory controller on the nand drives to get xfere rates that fast. i hope it to be true but things it is a attemp at a April fools joke..

I will enjoy todays speed however since even that 100/90 etc or so outclass my raptor.
32gb if the price comes down a little is well worth it.

me either, Dom is the one with the contact, i wonder if he has heard something. i think Dom may not bel able to visit us as much for some reason. call it a hunch here...

on the flip side, i read a article where intel will soon be releasing their own SSD drives. starting at 80gig going up to 160gig, when first release. i just wonder how fast these might be...

Last I heard from Dom, the Fusion I/O representative who had originally offered to let him do the exclusive benchmark and review had just stopped responding to Dom's emails. I dont think he was getting any response at all from them.

Haven't heard a word about Fusion I/O since. :shrug:

What are the cheapest SSDs that are available that still have decent performance? Is there a site that has a comparison chart for SSDs that is similar to tomshardware's vga or cpu charts?

Back