• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pondering the Xbox360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, Xbox Live is integrated very well into every game, you can send voice messages, have voice and video chat, send game invites, join other games you're invited to (even if it means changing discs) which is a very nice feature imo.

My only bad experiences with Live is that sometimes loading up the recent players list can cause your 360 to crash, but this isn't every time and only happens when you joined like a billion different games in a short space of time. Also, there can be a few team killers around or guys that just act stupid, but you can add them to an avoided player list by leaving them bad feedback, which will means you will have less chance of coming across them later on.

To me it is worth every penny of the £50 a year I pay for it. :)

@ OC Noob: Thanks, didn't know it was that cheap.

Neural Net: Interesting, I've heard a lot about this feedback system. How does it work exactly and what are your experiences with it?

I just got a 360 a couple of weeks ago. Here is a link to the post where I explain my purchasing decision--please note that I had $315 in trade at Gamestop (got rid of old crap + PS2) and that's why I only paid $200:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4750638&postcount=29

Another big reason to get a 360 is Guitar Hero 2 with downloadable songs in February. I'm guessing that the game will be $99.99, but with a wireless controller and new songs available through the XBOX Live Marketplace on demand, a practice mode to work on those tough solos how can you go wrong?

Maviryk said:
Mine does just fine. Maybe people need to learn to use airconditioning?

Yeah, a little AS5 under the heatsink and mine is fine, I think the main problem is people shoving them under their TV and not leaving any room for ventilation at the rear. There is a also a big disadvantage with getting a new revision, they are very difficult to chip, and if chips are legal where you live, they can obviously be handy (especially in light of the reports that some 360s have a habit of turning game discs into coasters).

As far a Live goes, I think it is largely a waste of money, but you can keep getting free trials, you just need to register with different passports/hotmail accounts for each extra month.

Seven said:
Neural Net: Interesting, I've heard a lot about this feedback system. How does it work exactly and what are your experiences with it?

Well first of it's really quick and easy to use, you use it through the central 'X' button on the controller. Basically you can look up your lists of friends and recent players you've come across, select them, then leave feedback.

This enables you to either prefer the player, which will boost their reputation (you start off with 3 stars, 5 is the maximum and means most people like they way you play and if you've got 2 or 1 stars then you haven't made a great impression). Giving bad feedback obviously decreases your reputation, but it does take a lot of it to reduce it - one or two bad comments won't lower it. When leaving negative feedback, you can select three options, that the player was bad due to lack of skill, left game early, or bad sportsmanship (may not be the exact words but that the essence of it). Those who you leave good feedback become preferred players and you're more likely to come across them again. As I said the opposite goes for players you gave bad feedback.

FYI, there is also a 'file a complaint' option, so if someone has had very foul language or you have seen them cheating, you can file a complaint which may get them kicked off Live altogether. Can't say I've used this myself, but I wouldn't use it too regularly. My view is that people can swear if they want to, I have nothing against that, and you don't really come across people that cheat or who are obscenely rude.

That's as far as I can remember, hope that gives you an idea of what it's like, haven't played my 360 in close to a month! Can't wait to get back to it though. :)

You'll need the HDD for sure as some people stated caching for games extra performance but for Oblivion there's the patch that fixes a few bugs. And soon there going to be releasing some expansion packs for it which are supposed to be very big in size.

Plus there's other content like extra online cars for Burnout Revenge (all free) there's 1 out now for Test Drive Unlimited for a free. About 2 new cars Skyline and Audi TT Coupe and lots more for lots of other games. I'm getting 1 but holding off for a decent widescreen TV with 60HZ support to go down in price & the die shrink on the 360.

Back