• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pondering the Xbox360

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Seven

Okay, first of all, let me state that I REALLY need your help on this, as it's a matter of $300 or so and some future planning.

I REALLY want to buy an Xbox360

I've seen the videos for Halo 3, I get pumped every single time I see HD graphics that look THAT good on a console. Gears of War as well. Also, a lot of my friends are probably going to buy theirs, so I figure I might as well hop on the bandwagon.

Does anybody who owns an Xbox 360 or was in the same prediciment as I am in now have anything to say about it? If you bought one, why, what games/accessories did you pick, and how much did it cost? If you didn't buy one, state the reason.

Hopefully I can get some help from you guys and others will benefit from this thread as much as I do.

My 1st suggestion is DON'T spend $300 on one, spend $400 on one because it's not worth getting the base version as the hard drive is MEGA important and the wirelss controllers are VERY nice as well. Without the hard drive you need to buy memory cards, some games like Oblivion will just play like CRAP because they NEED the hard drive for caching and you will NOT be able to get much LIVE downloadable content nor will you have backwards compatibility. Stack on top of that the VERY nice wirelss controllers and you're better off being patient and saving up another $100. The base edition DOES not come with high-def cables either, so that's another $50.I am VERY pleased with mine, in fact today I just bought Need for Speed Most Wanted, NHL2K6 and NBA2K7, got all 3 used for $45 total. If you don't have a HDTV then hook it up to your PC monitor, again $40 cables required, because it looks like CRAP on standard def.

I have to agree with fudge, I have the core version and not having a HD means you can't get additional content (stops me playing online in some games for example) demos, etc. Of course the HD cables are a bonus but DVI cables are superior in terms of image quality, so that's not a big reason to get the premium system imo.

However, the wireless controllers really do go somewhere in delivering the proper experience, the wired controller has cabling that can get knotted pretty easily, and well it looks a bit ugly. You'll notice no difference in sensitivity, lag, or whatever with a wireless controller either. You will also want the headset included and Xbox Live, which is essential imo, it is pointless getting a 360 if you don't intend to use it online.

At the moment, I have my 360 hooked up to a standard def Sony TV, and while it does the job, it does it badly. Suffice to say, you will be disappointed by the visuals if you hook it up to such a tv. The games are built to run on HDTVs so it makes it even worse as some detailing which may help you do well in a game is difficult to pickup on a regular television. Also got to mention that for some reason the 360 tends to suffer slowdown when it's on SD res, as opposed to 720p. I'm buying a 32" HDTV when I can simply because I can't stand to game on the SD 32" TV I have at the moment. Games I've got are Battlefield 2, Ghost Recon: AW, Perfect Dark, Project Gotham Racing 3, Fight Night Round 3 and Saint's Row. I can give quick reviews on these games if you're thinking of getting any of them.

Get a 360 but hold off until the new revisions are out if you want to avoid problems with over heating.

z0n3 said:
Get a 360 but hold off until the new revisions are out if you want to avoid problems with over heating.

I'm probably skipping the Wii to get a 360 [revised]. When are they supposed to be rolling out?

z0n3 said:

Mine does just fine. Maybe people need to learn to use airconditioning?

I do have an HDTV, and it's glorious.

It's a Sony WEGA 56" HDTV, complete with my Klipsch 5.1 system that makes it sound amazing.

I figure I'll just spend $400 on the updated complete version, since it comes with the stuff I'm going to have to buy ANYWAY.

I'm really just in it for Halo 3, Gears of War, and a few other games like Madden and the like.

Also, I need input on this. Worth spending $400 vs. saving up for a new PC? I'm looking at Crysis and a few new PC games coming out for DX10 and I have to say things are looking up for a new PC, and that's what I do best. So would it be worth buying an Xbox 360 or saving up and buying a PC?

Krome said:
I'm probably skipping the Wii to get a 360 [revised]. When are they supposed to be rolling out?

Best guess still is early next year. Of course we'll have to look at the code on the box first though to make sure it is the "revised" one.

z0n3 said:

Well, it was only the initial batch of 360s that had the overheat problem, mine did, Microsoft repaired it free of charge in about one week, even then all they do is re-flash the bios and send it back to you, it really isn't an actual overheating problem as such (I had the three red lights of doom).

Seven said:
I do have an HDTV, and it's glorious.

It's a Sony WEGA 56" HDTV, complete with my Klipsch 5.1 system that makes it sound amazing.

I figure I'll just spend $400 on the updated complete version, since it comes with the stuff I'm going to have to buy ANYWAY.

I'm really just in it for Halo 3, Gears of War, and a few other games like Madden and the like.

Also, I need input on this. Worth spending $400 vs. saving up for a new PC? I'm looking at Crysis and a few new PC games coming out for DX10 and I have to say things are looking up for a new PC, and that's what I do best. So would it be worth buying an Xbox 360 or saving up and buying a PC?

That's great! You'll be able to have the full experience! As for getting a 360 compared to a new PC, there are probably some games on the 360 that won't be on the PC you want. Examples being racing games, I know the PC isn't short of them but on the 360 ones like PGR3 are very good, and it's definitely a more social experience because it is more likely that everyone has headsets and it's great to taunt or proclaim victory to your opponents and generally have a laugh. You won't be disappointed by the visuals one bit, and games such as Forza Motorsport, PGR3/4, Burnout, Saint's Row, all offer hours of great gaming. :)

Live is also completely integrated and pretty versatile, enabling you to contact and start games with friends really easily. Yes it can bugger up sometimes, but that is quite rare. I would say give it a shot! A new PC is good but I would only get one with a Direct X10 card now and you'll have to get Vista to get the most out of it!

Oh, and make sure you get NBA 2k6 (since Nba 2k7 is out, but it's not really an improvement), it's only $19 now and the graphics are WONDERFUL. :D

The place that will be making the new chips is supposed to start production in Q4 of 06 so they should have enough to start selling them in Jan. or Feb.

Interesting. My house is generally pretty cold, so I might as well go with it.

I'll have to see, perhaps they will come down in price when Halo 3 comes out, as of now I think I can manage without one.

Also, I'd like to see what'll happen when the Wii and PS3 are both competing, as I feel like the prices are going to drop about $50-$100 when there is some real competition.

If you do get one and can hold off another month or so I would do that. You never know, with the PS3 close the 360 might get a little price drop, save a few bucks.

cornbread said:
If you do get one and can hold off another month or so I would do that. You never know, with the PS3 close the 360 might get a little price drop, save a few bucks.

Ya who knows, but since there loosing more money on the 360 now then they did at launch anything could be happeneing.

You will not be disappointed with xbox 360, like other previous comments, go with the $400 box. Wireless controller is a plus.

I'm more of a PC games guy since I suck really bad with first person shooter on a gamepad, but Madden 07 and Test Drive Unlimited look awesome on my 50 inch plasma TV. Xbox Live is another mentioned. Sony will not be able to come close when it comes to console online game.

Go ahead and buy one! I bought one about a month and a half ago. I play it on my 65" HDTV and the visuals are stunning! I already have 11 games! Make sure to buy Splinter Cell and GRAW!

Hey, I also have a question about xbox live.

If you buy the pro version of the xbox, the one that comes with the headset and all that ****, do you get a lifetime subscription to xbox live or how does that work?

I guess I gotta buy the wireless adapter too, damnit. That makes it $500, unless I can stealth an ethernet cable from my router all the way to my living room or find another solution.

Seven said:

If you buy the pro version of the xbox, the one that comes with the headset and all that ****, do you get a lifetime subscription to xbox live or how does that work?

I guess I gotta buy the wireless adapter too, damnit. That makes it $500, unless I can stealth an ethernet cable from my router all the way to my living room or find another solution.

you'll get 1 month free for Live. If you want to continue, it's $50 per year. If you have your xbox connected to internet (not dial-up), you have a tab on you xbox screen for Live. From there you can sign up with creditcard.

$50 per year, interesting.

Beats $15 per month for WoW, although that's something I'll be picking up again this summer for sure.

Any other user experiences worth noting?

Seven said:

Save a few bucks and hard wire it or save a few bucks less and get it here or somewhere else on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...10_1&results-process=default?tag2=over-adv-20

Back