• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 165 Testbench & Analysis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Go Jags!

Those boys used to playing in their air conditioned tent city are going to wilt under this hot FL sun...highs expected to be in the 60s...:D

Great cpu you've got there SN. By the way, your point about the cpu's vcore actually has been discussed way back...to the XP days when the 1700s having default voltages of 1.5v (DLT3C) were prized over those having the 1.6v (DLU3C). This also appears to be a factor in the XP mobiles and their lower default voltages making them better clockers vs the desktop variety. Just makes good common sense...sounds good, too. :D

Keep it going, bud.

mitro said:
Nice work so far! No wonder its doing well...take a look at your stepping again... its CCBWE 0534 MPMW 131606AK50026. 0026 is about as close to the center of the wafer as you'll get and the best silicon. :)

My 3800 that does 2.8GHz with 1.5v is a 0027. :)

So what does that make CCBWE 0536 MPMW 132665AJ50008?

Reefa_Madness said:
Go Jags!

Those boys used to playing in their air conditioned tent city are going to wilt under this hot FL sun...highs expected to be in the 60s...:D
Instead of Colts 35- Jags 3 if it were cold, it's going to be 55-, given the nice sunny day :D

Great cpu you've got there SN. By the way, your point about the cpu's vcore actually has been discussed way back...to the XP days when the 1700s having default voltages of 1.5v (DLT3C) were prized over those having the 1.6v (DLU3C). This also appears to be a factor in the XP mobiles and their lower default voltages making them better clockers vs the desktop variety. Just makes good common sense...sounds good, too. :D
Keep it going, bud.

It's good that we have a few oldies/senior citizens among us. Mate, for as old as you are (he is close to 97), I'm surprised you remember anything at all! :D :D

I don't know anything about the wafer growing process. So, why would a sample at the center of the wafer be better than one from the extermities?
Does mechanical stress play a role? How thick are these wafers?

For what its worth, I don't think the Ponies have scored more than 24 on the Jags in the last 2-3 years (not positive on this, but I think that all their games during this time frame have been decided by 10 or less points...including the ones that we've won). You do know that we've split the last two years, don't you?

As per the wafer...I don't know about cpus, but down here in the south we just love our "center cut" pork BBQ, our "center cut" bacon, the center of our watery watermelons and the center from a batch of brownies is always better, so it just makes good sense to me that the center of those wafers would be the best, too. :D

Darn...I'm getting hungry now...think I'll feast on some "center-cut" horse steaks after the game tomorrow. Go Jags!

And lastly...respect your elders, boy!

Looks like I'm getting there slowly. I hope to hit 2.7 GHz by he time I'm all done.:)

almostthere26ghz4na.jpg

Well sir, with all due respect the last 2-3 years have been different. :D Also, you should discount the first game, which was a cobweb game. We split games in the poast, but that will not happen this time. Coincidentally, all those who trash talked the Colts have been smashed. I only hope we meet Cincy in the AFC final and kill them. :D

I'm afraid I cannot share your appetite nor enthusiasm for center-piece meat, for I'm a vegetarian. Hope you had a good meal! :D

I used to know a couple of vegetarians, however, with good counseling and gradual re-introduction into the world of tasty animal fats, especially that center-cut pork that I was telling you about, they are now happy, fat and artery clogged, just like the rest of us. :D

Kidding aside, I met a couple last weekend that, that while not totally vegetarians, are close (will on a rare occurance eat fish and they will eat dairy products). The funny thing is that they smoke like fiends.

I started to ask them if they wanted to race...would my arteries clog before their lungs quit, but it was a party and I didn't want to make a scene, as one of them is my spouse's co-worker.

I just found that so crazy, but I guess it is all about individual choices. In the end all of our bodies are going to give out but I think a quick heart attack appeals to me more than carrying around an oxygen tank. All about choices.

OK, no more tangents on my part, but I will post after the game. I'll either gloat or my next dinner will be grilled crow.

Looking good Nade, almost there ;)

And yes you guys won but it wasn't an easy win. If Manning didn't complete that last pass you guys would have lost for sure cause we got HOT in the 4th quarter.

Man! Am I stuffed!

Just got done with a double helping of grilled crow, chased down with about 16 to 28 ounces of Colt 45. Then topped it off with a big slice of humble pie. :D

Congrats to your team, S.N.

OK, now that your 13-0...do you go for the record or save up the guys for the playoffs? Bet that debate is going to get some air time this week at just about every place where football fans hangout.

First off, you guys were huffing and puffing all the way. That was clearly in evidence given the numerous instances of unsportsman like conduct. We beat you at your house...AT YOUR HOUSE...in front of your people! We have a squad, no denying it. Now, the final few minutes were a blip on an otherwise good solid game. Can't let us take the lead and still hope to win. So Reefa, do you have something to say? Huh? What was that? I didn't get that? Huh? :D :D

Back to my results. 2.7GHz yay!

CPU-Z Validation:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=56324

Intermediate time screenshot. Still going strong on 809,000 iterations. I'll let it run the whole day and update this post.
27ghzlookinggood20gg.jpg

1 million iterations!

27ghz1million3yu.jpg

Should I push for more or stop here? :D

Last edited:
Congrats on 2.7Ghz :) I know I just hit that with my CPU at around 1.5-1.55V.

Question though or maybe you can try this out. How do you have your voltage settings in the bios? Like 1.375 * 110% for the voltage? Or just plain 1.5V?

I know I couldn't run 1.55V straight for more then a few hours without it crashing @ 2.7Ghz. And it ran just just above 50C around 51-52C with PWM's around 57C. But I switched to 1.4V * 110% (1.54V) and it passed SuperPI 32M and 14+ hours prime. Right now its testing 1.375 * 110% (1.5125V) and it passed SuperPI 32M I know for a fact, I'll find out the results when I get home but I know it wouldn't last more then 1 hour after I started prime and it wouldn't pass SuperPI 32M with just 1.525 (no special voltage).

Oh BTW wheres 0114 on the silicon wafer? My guess is an outer edge.

To answer your first question, it is 1.45 x 104%. I believe VID stands for Voltage Identification. Now, there has been talk that part of the DRAM Voltage and the base VCore is applied to the CPU. If it is so, I'm guessing that the VID special control determines what part of VDRAM is applied. In an earlier thread regarding the dangers of "High VDRAM and Low VCore", people said that having a low VCore is dangerous, because both VDRAM and VCore are applied to bias the Zeners. Quite possibly, the critical parameter is the Zener reverse Bias voltage.

So, it was said that the difference between VCore and VDRAM should be within certain limits. Now, quite possibly, VID Special control could directly determine this difference or control the VCore. Remember that the Voltage regulators used are programmable, so , if the IC is not very good, you may see non-uniform behaviour for differnt VID values. Ofcourse, all this is speculation on my part and it may be totally wrong. :D

For the second question, I'm not sure what those numbers mean. I don't see how, in a controlled manufacturing process, the center should be better thanthe periphery? I have not seen any concrete evidence of that yet. A handful of results either way means nothing.

"So Reefa, do you have something to say? Huh? What was that? I didn't get that? Huh?"

What I said was...to the victor belong the spoils.

We shall meet again.

So shall we :)

Finally I'm done with the CPU. It can go higher with more VCore, but the moment I saw 50C, I freaked out!

VCore has been set to 1.54V, which is overkill for the moment, but I will optimize that after testing the various sticks of RAM I have.

27ghzfinalstresscpustability9h.jpg

Super Nade said:
So shall we :)

Finally I'm done with the CPU. It can go higher with more VCore, but the moment I saw 50C, I freaked out!

VCore has been set to 1.54V, which is overkill for the moment, but I will optimize that after testing the various sticks of RAM I have.

27ghzfinalstresscpustability9h.jpg

Well looks like you have the same results as me. And nearly the same tempature too hehe. Good though. Love to see if you got lucky and could run less volts with those though, im unforutiantly not that lucky :( My comp actually rebooted when I tried lower volts when priming yesterday when I was at work.

BTW What you using to cool your PWM's more? Just got lucky with airflow or you using some fans to keep them cooler?

That's looking pretty sweet :)

I'm hoping to get pretty similar results from my 3800+, currently at 2500 with stock vcore prime stable. I had to quit there as temps reached 57! Just picked up a thermaltake big typhoon, and will continue from here tomorrow once I get to the office (I do my testing at the office since it's so tedious).

I'm doing nothing special really. I have a set of 80mm fans blowing over my RAM and the 4V MOSFET and a side panel fan blowing on the Mobo. Thats about it. The air-flow is good. Other than that, nothing special. As for Volts. I could probably get away with 1.52 V without blinking, but that will have to wait.

Curiously, last night, the full load temps were 50C but this morning it dropped to 46C. I may have more headroom but, I think its better to move on with the memory. This clocks as good as my LBBLE Venice, so I'm happy. :)

dropadrop, your 3800 should do much better than mine. It's not uncommon to see a 3800 touch 2.85GHz on air. :)

Super Nade said:
dropadrop, your 3800 should do much better than mine. It's not uncommon to see a 3800 touch 2.85GHz on air. :)

Don't get my hopes too high :D

The only cooling in my case is the rear fan, and ofcourse the puny little fan on the heatsink. The reason I think it won't go much higher is that when I raised it to 2550 one core failed after a few minutes of prime. Temps where at 60 though, so it might affect it.

Most of all I'm intrested in what I'll end up at. I think I'll try to see how far I can keep it at 1.2v to find a balance between performance and silence. My aim is to run the typhoon's fan at pretty low voltage, and have only nexus fans at 5v as case fans. The final goal is to have the computer so silent that I can't tell if it's on or not while sitting next to it.

dropadrop said:
Don't get my hopes too high :D

The only cooling in my case is the rear fan, and ofcourse the puny little fan on the heatsink. The reason I think it won't go much higher is that when I raised it to 2550 one core failed after a few minutes of prime. Temps where at 60 though, so it might affect it.

Most of all I'm intrested in what I'll end up at. I think I'll try to see how far I can keep it at 1.2v to find a balance between performance and silence. My aim is to run the typhoon's fan at pretty low voltage, and have only nexus fans at 5v as case fans. The final goal is to have the computer so silent that I can't tell if it's on or not while sitting next to it.

Sorry to say, mate...you can't really have silent air cooling if you wish to blast a big OC out of your CPU. That is why people move to water. :D

So,its either of the two. Become stone deaf like me whilst cranking out the GHz or be a wimp and run every component in-spec. :D :santa:

Dragon, we will meet again for sure...only that, you guys would be in the audience clapping, when Tony Dungy lifts the trophy. :p

Back