• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Most INFLUENTIAL Cases of ALL TIME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma8750

What I would like is for us to do is collectively think of three Cases that we believed made a huge IMPACT on the Designs of Case building future. While we will surely all Disagree and have different favorites, that is the whole point of this Excercise. We must remember that the case that we use "Must" have made a very unique impact on case designs that came about after it, so here are my three.

Number 1.

The Antec 900.

The Antec 900 was a mega success in its hayday. The open air design with cooling as it's main theme looked good and worked extremely well and brought in the 200 mm Blow hole fan into being.

Antec%252520900%252520a.jpg

Number 2.

The Classic Alienware Case.

Many can remember the first time that they saw their first "alienware" case. Though it was mostly for looks there was plenty of hardware engineering inside the case that is still used to this day. The side facing harddrive bays just one of the innovations of the design.

S5000070.JPG

Number 3.

The Original Silverstone Raven

While many may have other cases that they have found unique and innovative. One of my favorites was the SilverStone Raven case. This Silverstone tore up the Rule book and turned it on its side.. Literally On its side. I cannot think of another case that has the back on the top. Almost as if it was meant to be that way from the beginning. Silverstone took a new idea and came up with a case that was like No OTHER. The Raven is in a Class all its own..
Now I know you have an opinion so tell us what you think. What is your opinion of the Most Influential cases in Computer History.

SilverStone_RAVEN_rv01_intro.png

SqCDS.jpg.png

Chieftec Dragon case. I reckon this case was the most widely used case in the early 2000's. If you were building customer computers at the turn of the century, you had used a Chieftec Dragon case, or at least a clone of it. Every manufacturer had some form of it out on the market. Influential to the truest sense of the word.

Edit: I would hardly call the Silverstone Raven influential. While it is a nice concept, and I do like the Raven series, as well as the inverted Fortresses, for something to be influential, it has to influence something. No other (at least not many, if any at all) took the main aspect of the Raven, the inverted motherboard, and started to incorporate it into their cases. I think the word you're looking for, for the Raven, is "different". It didn't influence anything\anybody :)

Last edited:
I agree.. It influenced the very first Alienware case. Actually it was the Very first Alienware case. Thank you for your input.. Very Good Choice

imagesCAH8G8UI.jpg

Edit: I would hardly call the Silverstone Raven influential. While it is a nice concept, and I do like the Raven series, as well as the inverted Fortresses, for something to be influential, it has to influence something. No other (at least not many, if any at all) took the main aspect of the Raven, the inverted motherboard, and started to incorporate it into their cases. I think the word you're looking for, for the Raven, is "different". It didn't influence anything\anybody

You know.. I thought of that.. But I think the Concept is still new and it will catch on. But you are right. In order to be Influential it would have had to influenced another build. But Had I not added that one you might not have added your great choice to the list.. Thank you..

Last edited:

Chieftec Dragon case. I reckon this case was the most widely used case in the early 2000's. If you were building customer computers at the turn of the century, you had used a Chieftec Dragon case, or at least a clone of it. Every manufacturer had some form of it out on the market. Influential to the truest sense of the word.

Edit: I would hardly call the Silverstone Raven influential. While it is a nice concept, and I do like the Raven series, as well as the inverted Fortresses, for something to be influential, it has to influence something. No other (at least not many, if any at all) took the main aspect of the Raven, the inverted motherboard, and started to incorporate it into their cases. I think the word you're looking for, for the Raven, is "different". It didn't influence anything\anybody :)

I am going to have to agree in this one, even i had one. I miss it alot.

Honestly the Antec 900 and it's variations is still a very complete case even today.

The only issue I ever had with the 900 was it didn't have much room but honestly for all the other functions we lived with it.

+1 for the chieftec dragon. i still have two of them right now. while they don't have any hardware in them at the moment, they were some of the easiest cases to work and mod but at the same time, were sturdy as could be. i'm pretty sure i could drop one down a flight of stairs and it would somehow survive :D

It was Chieftec, then Antec 900 that influenced the enthusiast market.

You weren't cool unless you owned a case like this or another case that ripped off of it, like Thermaltake cases...

What is influential about custom benching stations? Or even the MM cases?

I'm not dogging on the cases, I just must have missed what they all influenced.

I think a lot of people are just naming innovative cases, not influential ones :)

To add to the Chieftec Dragon, I present the Thermaltake Xaser III.:D

img_1872.jpg

It was enough to influence a thread here that had well over 3000 replies.:D

I have a Xaser III that I am still modding to this day.. I think the Innovation of this case was the Use of Metallic front-end design and the Blowhole at the top with the USBs and Headphone jack at the top. Very Good.

Obsidian 800D.

Mountain Mods custom cases...

Custom benching stations.

About the Mountain Mods idk. I am still trying to run down the Very First Tech Bench. I think it was one of those two tiered carts that you see sometimes that started it all. But Mountain Mod did give form to function but so did Lian Li so I am not really sure on that one.The Obsidian 800D became THE BENCHMARK for all things interior. Many case Makers are using the Rubber Wire rigging and the other Corsair innovations. Good choice.. But only on the INTERIOR of that case..

Antec 900 was very influential. A lot of current cases use it's design.

Yes.. Ultimately the most Made over case on the Planet Earth.

I think a lot of people are just naming innovative cases, not influential ones :)

I would not want to stop the ideas so whatever you think, as long as it was a style or innovation that was worthy of copying or Mega Copied.

The Coolermaster was HUGE at one point...probably around 2006.

Damn, there are really so many cases, to me the case is one of the most personal and emotional parts of a rig. This thread brings back a lot of very good memories.

For me is a new one, the HAF X.

1- Excellent airflow
2- Support for big mobos like the SR-2
3- 1st case with SATA dock

Attachments

• DSC05970.JPG
    DSC05970.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,559
  • DSC05969.JPG
    DSC05969.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 1,576
  • DSC05965-2.jpg
    DSC05965-2.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 1,827
Is it though? The only 900 knock-off I can think of is the Azza Solano. What others are there?

Oh my God!!! who hasn't .. Well actually the Storm Scout was a Knock off of the Antec 900 and then from there it was about every case company imaginable including Rosewill that made a Storm Scout Copy. So would a knock off of a 900 be an influential Case or would it just be an evolution of the 900? That is my biggest question.

Back