• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo driver audio / headset microphone not showing up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yzfspecvr6

Just built my son a pc for his 13th birthday. His birthday is tomorrow. I really need it fixed before he comes home from school tomorrow.

New pc build-

5800x
Rtx 3070
Asus tuf gaming b550 plus wifi II
Ddr4 3600 32 gb
Rm850x psu

Think im having a driver issues. Headset plugged into headset jack on the mobo port not case port. microphone xlr plugged into usb.

Both will not show up in the sound settings. I get audio through the monitor. But it wont reconize the headset or mic. I did install rektek audio driver but its not helping. Im on windows 10 if that matters 64bit.

I did use a old window 10 that had no drivers its like 1012 verison its super old og windows 10. Internet didnt even work and no sound at first. I went through hell to get windows updated and drivers installed. But the audio issue is the last of my issues i cant seem to solve.

Headset and xlr mic worked fine on the old pc. Literally just built him a new pc for his bday. So i know they work, they just arent showing up for me in the sound properties. I click om show disabled and they arent even there either.

Please help.

Last edited:
Connect the headset through the front panel...make sure the front panel audio is connected to the board. Be sure it's using the Realtek device and nkt the gpu.

Connect the headset through the front panel...make sure the front panel audio is connected to the board. Be sure it's using the Realtek device and nkt the gpu.
I dont have the front panel connected. Im trying to connect them to the ports on the motherboard. Its not reconizing them not even the mic thats usb connection

I dont have the front panel connected. Im trying to connect them to the ports on the motherboard. Its not reconizing them not even the mic thats usb connection
I understand what you're trying to do. Just suggesting to try connecting to the front ones to see if that's the problem. :)

Is it the active audio in windows sound settings? Does the audio show up in device manager? Sometimee gpu drivers install their audio and it takes over from what you want.

Last edited:
I understand what you're trying to do. Just suggesting to try connecting to the front ones to see if that's the problem. :)

Is it the active audio in windows sound settings? Does the audio show up in device manager? Sometimee gpu drivers install their audio and it takes over from what you want.
Okay i see what you did there. Ill try that but the microphone is an xlr and the amp is usb only and its still not connecting. Ill try the headset though.

Its not active, no. Audio doesnt show up in device manager either.

Only devices that show up are the 3 monitors. I tried a usb headset too and it didnt work.

How do i fix the gpu audio drivers and have realtek take over?

Right, never said swap the mic, lol...just the headphones/ 1/8" jack. Again, be sure the FP audio is physically connected to the motherboard. I doubt that will work since you say it's not even found in device manger... but worth a try.

On the subject of the mic.... is it recognized on any rear USB? Did you connect the front panel USB headers so they are active? Odd the mic doesn't even show up in Windows...it's a USB device.

How do i fix the gpu audio drivers and have realtek take over?
Disable that NV HDMI audio in the device manager and try uninstalling the realtek software. Reboot. Install Realtek audio... see if shows up in device manager and in windows sound.

EDIT: Weird that you install it and it doesn't show in the device manager or sound.

3.jpg

Why install new system on old OS? I still think you can get a fresh install of W10 from the MS website.... that and Windows 11...............surely the kid doesn't have a preference of windows already, lol?

What does your device manager look like?

Last edited:
I would definetly make yourself a new usb installer of 22H2 and start a fresh install

Last edited:
I have an Asus motherboard with Realtek audio. I have the front panel audio connected to the motherboard. The front panel has separate headphone and microphone connections. When I connect a headset to the front panel Realtek Audio Console notifications pop up asking me to verify each connections.

HS1.jpg

HS2.jpg

I forgot to add that plugging in a headset adds nothing new since Speakers and a Microphone should already show up as audio devices.

After you plug in the headset select Speakers in Sound Playback and select Set default. After that a green circle with a white checkmark will appear next to it. This default is only for when the headset is plugged in. After that audio output will go back to whatever it was before that.

HS3.jpg

Also, after you plug in the headset select Microphone in Sound Recording and select Set default. After that a green circle with a white checkmark will appear next to it. This default is only for when the headset is plugged in. After that audio input will go back to whatever it was before that.

HS4.jpg

Right, never said swap the mic, lol...just the headphones/ 1/8" jack. Again, be sure the FP audio is physically connected to the motherboard. I doubt that will work since you say it's not even found in device manger... but worth a try.

On the subject of the mic.... is it recognized on any rear USB? Did you connect the front panel USB headers so they are active? Odd the mic doesn't even show up in Windows...it's a USB device.

Disable that NV HDMI audio in the device manager and try uninstalling the realtek software. Reboot. Install Realtek audio... see if shows up in device manager and in windows sound.

EDIT: Weird that you install it and it doesn't show in the device manager or sound.

View attachment 361658

Why install new system on old OS? I still think you can get a fresh install of W10 from the MS website.... that and Windows 11...............surely the kid doesn't have a preference of windows already, lol?

The old OS i have was just on a thumb drive i have that i install on all my pc's over time and then do windows update. Its just what I have. Yes he doesnt want windows 11. Im not sure if that will fix my iss

View attachment 361658

The old os is all i had. Here may be a dumb question.

I did upgrade to windows 11, same problem. Usb mic does work now through windows update. Still cant get audio through the 3.5mm jack thats connected to the mobo. I install realtek but it doesnt show up in device manager. Only add/remove programs.

Did i plug somthing wrong building this pc? Its only my 3rd build, and its been like 8 years since i last built a pc.

Ill take screen shots once i get home.

So far mic works now via usb but headset wont work thru audio jack on motherboard. Doesn't show up still in sound properties. Headset 100% works.

FTR, you need to look in the Sound, Video, and Game controllers section of the device manager to see what's installed.

but headset wont work thru audio jack on motherboard.
Again, did you try to connect through front panel 3.5mm plug (is the header connected to the motherboard?)?

Did i plug somthing wrong building this pc?
Nothing to plug in to get integrated audio to work properly... just drivers.

Is the audio enabled in the BIOS (ADvanced -> onboard devices configuration)? Check there...

Last edited:
FTR, you need to look in the Sound, Video, and Game controllers section of the device manager to see what's installed.

Again, did you try to connect through front panel 3.5mm plug (is the header connected to the motherboard?)?

Nothing to plug in to get integrated audio to work properly... just drivers.

Is the audio enabled in the BIOS (ADvanced -> onboard devices configuration)? Check there...
Front one doesnt work either and the hd audio cable is connected.

Bios says audio enabled.

Microphone in the 3.5 jack is connected during these screenshots. Realtek us installed but you can see in the screen shot it doesnt show.

I downloaded it from the asus mobo website too.
Post magically merged:

If i buy a newer version of windows will this solve my problem lol. I might just buy 1.

Attachments

• 20230422_214432.jpg
    20230422_214432.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Did you say you installed Windows 10 on that computer? Why? Asus only has Windows 11 audio drivers for it.

If you installed Windows 10 then you might want to try Windows 11. The audio might work better. No guarantee but it doesn't hurt to try.

TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II

Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9238.1 For Windows 11 64-bit.
Version 6.0.9238.1 83.14 MB 2021/10/26

Last edited:
That board has to support W10 as it was released before W11 was out. There's a drop-down where you can select the OS (including W10). :)

Maybe the sound is bad on the board?
It was a brand new board. I tried a usb headset too and its not working either.

If a fresh install of windows (using the latest version from MS website, not something leftover on a USB stick) doesn't do it, then I'd email asus support.

Back