• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It is time. . .

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bobby Manus

I think ive been haning around the forum long enough, and its time for me to venture off and go for my first overclock. I'm going with the KT7 and a duron 600 looking for a great overclock. I can get these 2 for 197 shiped, which is in my budget. I plan on using a PEP66 and doing the simple mod on it to get it to fit. Then I'll do the pencil trick and unlock the multiplyer. Then I'll do the voltage mod which looks a little more complicated but its worth it if I can scrape up a few more volts, more volts should give me a few mhz bonus, and i'm gunna need it in my quest for a gig. I'll also lap the cpu and hsf. I am going to do it very lighty becuase I was told that AMD's chips are very sensiteve and the PEP66 is already pretty well made anyways so its not very necisary. I have a quesstion though, when puting on my PEP66, I should remove the thermal pad then use some good old thermal grease? And i should make the thermal grease as smooth as posible corect? Do I allply the thermal grease to the hsf or the mobo? I put the fan ontop of the cpu itself right? Ugh, I should look at a link, anyone know of one? I dont want to screw this up. . . ;D

looks good so far

Well, so far it looks like you'll be putting together an awesome system! For the thermal grease, I would take off the stuff that came on it, and put some good stuff on. When I did mine, I put the grease on the cpu, then put the hsf on.

good luck!

You apply Thermal Grease to the CPU, not the Heatsink or the motherboard. I'm not sure what you would be greasing on the motherboard at all, unless you decide to apply some thermal grease to the chipset. Just put a very thin layer of thermal grease, it is very easy to over do it...

For thermal grease you should buy some Arctic Silver. After all, why go for anything but the best? It only costs around $12-$15 and lasts through MANY CPU applications (believe me, you will get your money's worth).

As for lapping the CPU, AMD Curon/Tbirds are extremely sensitive. I've crushed one myself and nearly done so to another (although it still works). I'd really think twice before lapping the CPU at all, with Tbirds/Durons as fragile as they already are I think reducing the meager strength of their core any further by lapping is probably not advisable. And, of course, you may end up just grinding the CPU to nothing also. If you do decide to lap it, please be careful!

Im thinking just go over it with some 1200 grit just till the paint comes off, is that to far? I DEFINTLY dont want to blow a cpu. How far to go?

Back