• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is there an alternative to cablemod?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captainthrall

Is there a cheaper alternative to cablemod?

I'm looking to replace the ugly *** yellow cables and I don't feel like dropping $70 to get them custom made through cablemod.

What I need specifically is an 8-6 combo cable to plug into my GPU.

20220225_141155.jpg

Solution
The cable mod site lets you pick and choose the wires you want so you don't have to buy the whole set. Saves a little cash but still gets the effect. These are nice because you can specify lengths if needed. Here is a link to their config tool.

For braiding them yourself. I used to do mine all the time, its really easy but does take a good amount of time. As PSU makers starting doing it and/or using all black wires it became less important to me. You will need a kit like this to do it. Make sure the little lip on the plug comes back out after you extract it or the cable will slide back out. A small screw driver can pry it out.

One tip I'll throw out there is if you are doing single wire braid do one wire at a time then...
Depin the connector, cut sleeve to length, heat shrink it on if you want, put pin back in connector. Check out mdpc-x sleeving. They also have any tools you may need.

The cable mod site lets you pick and choose the wires you want so you don't have to buy the whole set. Saves a little cash but still gets the effect. These are nice because you can specify lengths if needed. Here is a link to their config tool.

For braiding them yourself. I used to do mine all the time, its really easy but does take a good amount of time. As PSU makers starting doing it and/or using all black wires it became less important to me. You will need a kit like this to do it. Make sure the little lip on the plug comes back out after you extract it or the cable will slide back out. A small screw driver can pry it out.

One tip I'll throw out there is if you are doing single wire braid do one wire at a time then reinsert into the Molex plug before moving to the next. This way you won't mix one up or forget one. With the cost of braid and heatshrink these days it really is cheaper to buy them done already especially considering the time it takes along with the materials cost though.

Another option is eVGA direct for wires. They are not all single braid but are all black. Also Performance PCs does it custom but they are crazy expensive.

Also I would do two separate vga wires not the piggy back like you have but that is just me.

Last edited:
Solution
I would try using a bigger heat shrink size (It isn't for protection just looks), slit it, slip it over wire turn the slit to the side you can't see , overlap it and then heat it. It would be hard to notice once it melts.

One word...paracord. I have been custom sleeving wiring with paracord for yeas now. It's cheap and looks great, just takes time to do.

I cut it about an inch longer than the wire to be sleeved, then pull the core out, slide it over the wire, and melt the end (with a lighter) just over the pin. Give the melted end a quick twist with my fingers and repeat on the other end.

Back