• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to upgrade my CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blingo

I never really upgraded a cpu. I used to just buy a new computer and then maybe change the GPU but it seems I can save so much money doing it this way.

So recently I just bought a gpu 2060
But my CPU is still a 8320. So I probably should upgrade it.

So how do I decide on a motherboard and CPU?
And another thing how do I know it fits my case?

An FX8320 is the same as and 8350 and 8370 just different binning and stepping. You will not see any notable improvement with a switch to either option. If you are looking for more performance from your CPU you might think about Overclocking it provided your motherboard is able to handle the increased power requirements.

Now if you are looking for a new motherboard and CPU there are plenty of options out there. What kind of budget do you have? I am sure there will be plenty of advice on different combos to fit your budget. Keep in mind if you are looking to upgrade to one of the new model CPU's out there you will have to upgrade your ram to DDR4 as well.

Motherboards are broken down into form factors ATX, mATX and ITX are the most common. If your case has currently an ATX case witch is most likely then it will fit any of the 3 options.

You will need to upgrade your motherboard, CPU and ram unfortunately. The FX series are several genereation back now and should be looking into a Ryzen build if you choose to stick with AMD. Your case and likely PSU are still viable components though. That case will work with mITX, mATX, and ATX motherboards.

I see no need to upgrade your CPU unless you have the money to spend :), now if you really want to upgrade you can do what others said to do and go with Ryzen CPU and MB.
I'm using GTX1080 SC by EVGA with FX-8350 so you will be ok with the RTX2060.

Usually when I upgrade I like to go to the latest generation or the one before. I had AMD for 7 years so I'm looking into to try something new. I have honestly been looking into the i9 but I feel that might be over kill. All I really want to do is game and stream at the highest settings possible. So I'm willing to go about 700 but only if it's smart for what I want to do.

I have another question should I honestly upgrade or will I be fine with what I have . I feel I need new because it's getting old. But is it really a need for what I want to do

You best course of action right now is to wait. Ryzen Gen 2 will be releasing July 7th. This is supposed to be a major improvement and rumors are that they could outperform Intel but that remains to be seen. After the release there will be some fluctuation in pricing and you may find some really good deals on AMD and Intel.

Ok so that leaves me some time to save up more money .
But when the ryzen gen 2 releases do you think prices will drop for the i9 or no ?

Difficult to say for sure. If it does it would likely be after several weeks to see if the new Ryzen 9 3900x affects the sales of the i9.

Hmm I mean if the new ryzen is going to beat out the i9
I may get it a little after launch. Depending on reviews and stuff.

It's a lot to think about because I really want to try Intel this time around .

I was wondering though , like how do you know they generations for each Intel and amd and what CPUs compete with each other. That will help me out a lot actually

Last edited:
Until they actually release the CPU's and review sites like our own are able to post actual benchmarks it is all speculation. The few lucky individuals that receive early samples for review purposes all need to agree to a Non-Disclosure Agreement. After the 7th we will see benchmarks comparing the current CPU's to the new ones. These benchmarks will clarify what processors are best for single threaded applications, multi-threaded applications, and a multitude of games. From there we can determine what fits our need within our budget (or in my case over-budget LOL - Shhh don't tell my wife).

Until they actually release the CPU's and review sites like our own are able to post actual benchmarks it is all speculation. The few lucky individuals that receive early samples for review purposes all need to agree to a Non-Disclosure Agreement. After the 7th we will see benchmarks comparing the current CPU's to the new ones. These benchmarks will clarify what processors are best for single threaded applications, multi-threaded applications, and a multitude of games. From there we can determine what fits our need within our budget (or in my case over-budget LOL - Shhh don't tell my wife).

LOL trust me I won't tell, because if my fiance finds out what I spend on a PC part she will probably lose it. Maybe for the time being I should look into overclocking. I'm just a little afraid and I hate noise and overheating . I don't want to run into those problems after overclocking

I think you can count on a few people going over budget come July 7th ….. including me I'm in for a 3900X + a decent board, that's gonna sting. It's ok my wife already knows though I don't think she is happy about it.

Taco ….. dang but I missed the last upgrade. :bang head:shrug: ….. I work hard during the slow time I get away with 9 or 10 hour days when busy its 14 hours a day 5 days a week and during the Black Friday to Christmas rush I will probably work 6 or 7 day weeks. Hell last year I did 35 of the last 40 days straight leading to Christmas , I plan on slowing down a bit more this year as I am not that young anymore. This is for me, nothing more.

Back