• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flamethrower 1972's BUILD THREAD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok this is final bulid update.

ASUS ROG Z790-H(y)
Intel i7-14700 kf

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Super WINDFORCE OC 12G Graphics Card
ADATA Premium SSD 1TB Gen 4 M.2 2280 x4
ASUS TUF 27" 1440P Gaming Monitor QHD 260Hz 1 Ms GTG G-SYNC Compatible.
be quiet Light Wings 140MM PWM ARGB 4-Pin x9
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 Watt 80+Gold PCIe 5.0 Ready
DeepCool CH780 ATX Case
Razer BlackWidow Wired Gamming Mechanical Keyboard(y)
Razer DeathAdder Essential Gaming Mouse(y)
Mouse Pad Gaming Led Fantasy Dragon
Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer III 420MM(y)
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB DDR5 7200 (PC5 7600)(y)

Last edited:
My old 750 Watt PSU gave me all kinds of problems w/my o'clocked 9700k and my o'clocked 1080ti. When I replace the 1080ti w/the 4090 it became a nightmare of system resets. It's an old Rosewill Capstone 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold PSU though and probably ten years old by now. I ended up dedicating a Seasonic 850 Watt PSU to the 4090 and cooling fans at which point all my system reset issues went away. Considering the way power requirements and TDP just seem to be going up w/every generation I wish I had bought a 1kW PSU.

My old 750 Watt PSU gave me all kinds of problems w/my o'clocked 9700k and my o'clocked 1080ti. When I replace the 1080ti w/the 4090 it became a nightmare of system resets. It's an old Rosewill Capstone 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold PSU though and probably ten years old by now. I ended up dedicating a Seasonic 850 Watt PSU to the 4090 and cooling fans at which point all my system reset issues went away. Considering the way power requirements and TDP just seem to be going up w/every generation I wish I had bought a 1kW PSU.
Are you running two psus? The one thats failing (but shouldn't - time for the garbage) is now only supporting a light load, at worst, like 250w or something amd the 850w is just for the gpu? Just use the 850w! ;)

Are you running two psus? The one thats failing (but shouldn't - time for the garbage) is now only supporting a light load, at worst, like 250w or something amd the 850w is just for the gpu? Just use the 850w! ;)
Are you doing what you told me not to do?;)

I am running two PSUs, the interesting thing is the 4090's +12V 12VHPWR power rails aren't connected to the PCIe slot +12V power rails -- they're an entirely different circuit according to my DMM. I actually want to replace the ten year old Rosewill 750W Capstone with a SFX 850 Watt PSU so I can get more airflow to the 4090.

I actually want to replace the ten year old Rosewill 750W Capstone with a SFX 850 Watt PSU so I can get more airflow to the 4090.

This is why I often use SFX PSUs in even larger ATX cases (more like dual-chamber ATX). A high-quality SFX doesn't run hot, is quiet, small, and has shorter cables, so you don't need additional space. However, before you decide, read about the fan speed at 30%+ load, as this is tricky. Most manufacturers cheat on the noise specs. Usually, it's out-of-the-case fan specs without a specified point of measurement. 20dB and less is impossible for a 1500RPM+ fan measured from 3 feet.

@Woomack
That's a great point about the fan noise. A 92mm fan is going to have to spin faster than a 100mm or 120mm fan to cool the PSU.
I did run the coolermaster V850-SFX outside the case for a while as the secondary PSU for the 4090. It didn't seem to be particularly loud.
Cybernetics (a company based in Cyprus) tested the coolermaster V850-SFX and found an average of 37.32 dB(A) for the Avg. Noise Output.
All the cables included w/this PSU are 18AWG, I'd much rather have 16AWG.

That's a great point about the fan noise. A 92mm fan is going to have to spin faster than a 100mm or 120mm fan to cool the PSU.
I did run the coolermaster V850-SFX outside the case for a while as the secondary PSU for the 4090. It didn't seem to be particularly loud.
Cybernetics (a company based in Cyprus) tested the coolermaster V850-SFX and found an average of 37.32 dB(A) for the Avg. Noise Output.
All the cables included w/this PSU are 18AWG, I'd much rather have 16AWG.

I didn't know you already have an SFX PSU. I said that about Coolermaster, as their products are really random. Some are good (but usually good for the price), and some are below average. I don't remember who makes their PSUs, but I haven't seen bad SFX 80+ Gold or higher PSUs regarding stability ... even from really weird brands. Bad are generally fans or fan curves, as some models spin them up to 100% speed at 50%+ load. It's usually ~2800 RPM. The problem is that most PSUs have warranty stickers, so if you remove them, then you lose a warranty.

~37dB is what I can believe. The typical room noise is around ~35 dB, so typically, the whole PSU measurements are around ~40 dB or more. I say that because fans are much louder in a tight PSU case with grill and everything around, than tested on a free space.
I remember when we were testing PCs for CE certificates in my old work (15-16 years ago). We took computers to the lab at a local university, and the fully passive PC had 22-23 dB measured from a 1m. It was because of all the coil whine and other typical noises (and it wasn't even any high-end PC). Not much time later, the market was flooded by fans specified for under 20 dB, and people believe in that until now. I can believe that Noctua has low-speed fans like that, but not a cheap Chinese brand.

Ok gents... this thread is about Flamethrower's build. A one or two post aside is one thing/ok.... but this is another.

Take it to PMs or maybe create a thread, as it is a good discussion (it just has nothing to do with the OP). (y)

Did you get the g.skill 7200 RGB cl34 memory? I just snagged some 2 weeks ago :cool: If so I read a review where they OCed it to 7200 @ 34-41-41-41-81 w/1.45v which I’m running now.

I am running two PSUs, the interesting thing is the 4090's +12V 12VHPWR power rails aren't connected to the PCIe slot +12V power rails -- they're an entirely different circuit according to my DMM. I actually want to replace the ten year old Rosewill 750W Capstone with a SFX 850 Watt PSU so I can get more airflow to the 4090.
:mad: That PSU is not part of my rig??????

Back