• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE DICE Announces RTX Ray Tracing in Battlefield V Can Now Be Enabled (Benchmarks Today!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Eh I'm not too surprised. It's flashy new tech, it'll take a generation or two before the frame drop isn't as much. NVidia was probably just trying to pull a "First To Market" move which is why they introduced it with the 2xxx line.

Yup. If the hardware didn't exist, creating the need, the software wouldn't be developed. Same thing Intel and AMD are doing with core counts.

"Up to 50%" raytrace performance increase in the next patch.

According to nVidia + EA:
60+ fps - RTX 2080 Ti @ 1440p - DRX @ Ultra
60+ fps - RTX 2080 @ 1440p - DRX @ Medium
60+ fps - RTX 2070 @ 1080p - DXR @ Medium

https://www.techpowerup.com/250201/...-rtx-dxr-performance-patch-up-to-50-fps-gains
The patch enables RTX 2080 Ti users to smoothly play "Battlefield V" with DXR at 1440p resolution, with frame-rates over 60 fps, and DXR Reflections set to "Ultra." RTX 2080 (non-Ti) users should be able to play the game at 1440p with over 60 fps, if the DXR Reflections toggle is set at "Medium." RTX 2070 users can play the game at 1080p, with over 60 fps, and the toggle set to "Medium." NVIDIA states that it is continuing to work with DICE to improve DXR performance even further, which will take the shape of future game patches and driver updates.

One of the worst marketing phrases ever: "up to". 0% is up to 50%.

The usual places will do the benchmarks and tell us exactly how much performance difference this makes soon after.

From a video that I saw, it looked like most of the raytracing stuff that was turned on for BFV wasn't even the lighting, but more accurate reflections and such? Joe can you confirm?

The usual places will do the benchmarks and tell us exactly how much performance difference this makes soon after.
Its a significant difference making RT quite usable on all cards (depending on settings). You can see in the video the FPS counts... while that is DICE, numbers like that which show the settings are typically fairly accurate.

From a video that I saw, it looked like most of the raytracing stuff that was turned on for BFV wasn't even the lighting, but more accurate reflections and such? Joe can you confirm?
I'm not sure how it all ties in on the game. Lighting has something to do with it as it uses the light sources for reflections but.. outside of that, no idea.

Have you seen the video NV put out?

Sorry let me clarify.. I didn't mean any other settings outside of the RT.

A 2070 can't run it on Ultra RT, for example, but is expected to on medium. My point was that you can't just go crank it on any card at any resolution.

Watch the video...

Also...
The patch enables RTX 2080 Ti users to smoothly play "Battlefield V" with DXR at 1440p resolution, with frame-rates over 60 fps, and DXR Reflections set to "Ultra." RTX 2080 (non-Ti) users should be able to play the game at 1440p with over 60 fps, if the DXR Reflections toggle is set at "Medium." RTX 2070 users can play the game at 1080p, with over 60 fps, and the toggle set to "Medium." NVIDIA states that it is continuing to work with DICE to improve DXR performance even further, which will take the shape of future game patches and driver updates.

Ahh. I didn't know there were levels of RT available for it. Cool. That makes a lot of sense. These cards may have had a bit of a rocky start, but they're shaping up to really be "the next big thing".

We looked over the video... only in the medium settings did we notice a differnce and that was only on the gun. Otherwise, it looked the same to me.

Its time to DL the update and figure out a good spot to benchmark the game consistently.... lol

HOLY COW...............the update is 18GB.....

Last edited:
Are you really that surprised? These days it's par for the course to see >10GB updates. Didn't FO76 just push a 50-odd GB update?

Yes, I am that surprised. I had no idea it included a map and other things as well. I also don't fallout ever so... I'm used to a few GB only. :)

That said, it was a 28GB update in total it seems? It DL something that was 18GB and then 10GB.

The frame rate improvement is huge, really. The two biggest criticisms I've seen of the 20xx cards are the lack of games that can use the new tech and the terrible RT game performance at basement resolutions, let alone the resolutions you'd expect the buyer of a $1200 VGA to have. This is only one game but if it's indicative of whats possible with others, then RT may just have a bright future.

Back