• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I recently installed winten on an 85 y/o lady's PC and Classic Shell was the first app I installed. She loves it. It's almost seamless to her and she can find everything like she did before. I'm sure there is or will be an app to help lock down your customization of winten settings. The only way to stop the app is for Microsoft to deliberately code against this app or any customization options within winten. Average users will never bother. It's only us OCD power users who want that kind of control lol.

First of all, it would be very helpful if you specifically post which privacy setting has been reset?
Second, if you have Win 10 Pro, you can turn off auto updates. They will then only be auto-applied as soon as you go to the Windows Update page, but not if you don't go there.

Major is when they release a new build that adds/removes major Windows features, rather than just patches a security hole or two.

Each new major build is like a new operating system version.
That is why some of these things are reset.
People who have a problem with this should not use Windows 10, but this will continue to happen with every new major build of Windows 10..

- - - Updated - - -

Are you referring to the fact that Microsoft finally put in small parts of Classic Shell inside Windows 8.1?

If so then a 30 second install of Classic Shell is what makes an even bigger difference as you can further modify the Start Menu and this can be done on Windows 8.0, as Well as Windows 8.1 making any version of Windows 8 with Classic Shell "better than" any other version of Windows 8 without Classic Shell.

Not as many people would be using Windows 7 if Microsoft gave people the option, just the option of Windows 8 + Classic Shell natively.

I dont know if they did, But i thought it had it if win10 had it.
Also a little change isnt gonna hurt :).

Absolutely. I should have written this down. But I am running Android versions that are newer than found on Galaxy S7, on my Galaxy S5.
Hardware restrictions first.

In their wisdom, first they no longer allowed removable microSD cards in Galaxy S6 and no longer allowed removable batteries either...
After they realized how insane in the membrane of draconian of a move that was, they put back the microSD card into Galaxy S7 but you still cannot swap batteries in Galaxy S7.
I don't have time to charge batteries, in three seconds flat I swap an empty one with a full one in my Galaxy S5.

Moving on to software. You can no longer by default:
Have all apps use removable storage instead of internal storage.
I want to use removable storage so that I can take out my hundred and twenty eight gigabyte microSD card and transfer data directly from it to my computer...

I measured synchronization of large amounts of data and if done by taking the microSD card out, it is a hundred or a thousand times faster, I cannot remember which, but it is an insanely larger number. Removable storage is crucial when it comes to speed of transferring data directly vs. using Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
The latest versions of Android disabled most Alarm clocks apps.
This is because the new doze feature puts the phone in such deep sleep - all the old alarm clock apps can't wake it up from it and this caused people to be late for work.

But restrictions involving the external card are the most painful.
They no longer allow apps to use the external card, this is bat $#@!% crazy.
I mean sure I see why their moves should be as they are by default but no options, difficult to get to OPTIONS to let us use our large external sd cards.
I mean I use Android because if I wanted to, I can even get a two hundred gigabyte microSD card, on sale last week for $41.
200 gigabytes on an apple product would cost me what, a thousand dollars? MicroSD cards are THE reason why I use Android.

I did not write these down, but with *every* version of Android, there is a new restriction.
I can look back to come up with more but there's no question about how much worse Google Android is.

To top it off, we complain about Microsoft but Google has been violating our privacy on a monumentally higher level when compared to Microsoft, for years.
Microsoft is *just* getting around to what Google has been doing for years when it comes to privacy.
So using Google Android as an example of 'how to do things right' is like pointing to a kid's science project and telling a NASA space engineer how things 'should be done'.
Google does TONS of worse stuff to us and gets nowhere near as much flack as Microsoft is getting for Windows 10.

Last edited:
That's why I'm keeping my S5 Galaxy as long as possible. forced Samsung / android updates keep breaking it however.

I am too.
I actually wondered if the price of Galaxy S5 would go up because it's the last Galaxy with a swappable battery.
I mean the other day I was in my car at 1%, I have no time, I have to go, I swap the battery in three seconds, and I am at 100%.
I come home, and get an external charger to charge my two spare batteries, I'm golden. Always mobile at 100% and more batteries to spare.

Absolutely disable mandatory updates.
Apple is NOTORIOUS for pushing updates that make apple users update their phones because they no longer "work" like they used to ... and that's because of the updates. Samsung breaks things to a lesser extent but I drive image my Galaxy S5, it needs to be reimaged sometimes, just like Windows.

Windows Update is prone to failing lately! It seems common to get the error message about Windows Update failing and that it's reverting changes then freezes. So you have to hold the power button down, wipe the drive and reinstall Windows.

Google does TONS of worse stuff to us and gets nowhere near as much flack as Microsoft is getting for Windows 10.

You have a choice not to use Google products.
If you have a PC, the average user has no choice but M$.
They are basically exploiting their monopoly by ramming crap down your throat, like it or not. You have no choice. Take it or buy a Mac.

Until 2023, we technically have [Windows 8+Classic Shell] as a choice.
Thereafter, yes we are screwed, unless something else pops up in the next eight years.... and you know it might, people are moving away from PCs at an alarming rate.

Thereafter, yes we are screwed, unless something else pops up in the next eight years.... and you know it might, people are moving away from PCs at an alarming rate.
I do not disagree with that at all. ;)

The latest versions of Android disabled most Alarm clocks apps.
This is because the new doze feature puts the phone in such deep sleep - all the old alarm clock apps can't wake it up from it and this caused people to be late for work.

That's news to me. I just moved to 6.0 (unofficial port. My device only officially uses 5.1) and haven't had that issue yet, but it's only been a couple of days. Thanks for the heads up. I will set an extra alarm for the next few days until I can be assured of reliability.
But restrictions involving the external card are the most painful.
They no longer allow apps to use the external card, this is bat $#@!% crazy.
I mean sure I see why their moves should be as they are by default but no options, difficult to get to OPTIONS to let us use our large external sd cards.
I mean I use Android because I can get a two hundred gigabyte microSD card on sale last week for $41.
200 gigabytes on an apple product would cost me what, a thousand dollars? MicroSD cards are THE reason why I use Android.
I hear you there. My last phone had no support for SD and an internal battery. But I can use my 64gb sdcard again. Talk about a little breathing room.

I haven't followed this closely but I have been waiting to see it realized for about a year and a half now. I believe the date on the article was current, so the info *should* be current
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/127...odular-smartphone-everything-you-need-to-know

I did not write these down, but with *every* version of Android, there is a new restriction.
I can look back to come up with more but there's no question about how much worse Google Android is.

To top it off, we complain about Microsoft but Google has been violating our privacy on a monumentally higher level when compared to Microsoft, for years.
Microsoft is *just* getting around to what Google has been doing for years when it comes to privacy.
So using Google Android as an example of 'how to do things right' is like pointing to a kid's science project and telling a NASA space engineer how things 'should be done'.

As to that, I personally think android is making 2 steps forward and 1 step back a lot of times. The massive improvements of kitkat paired with the inability to move apps to external storage? What?! A big thanks you is in order for all the devs out there who fixed that, and thankfully Google themselves changed that also. I like how lollipop and marshmallow are giving greater control over app permissions as well, but fear that it may be some sort of placebo as well. Time will tell, but I think it won't be long before malicious apps over-ride permission choices.

I feel like this needs to be said often, but people argue one way vs. the other whereas the argument should always be choice vs. no choice without arguing what that choice should be.
And if they want to keep something away from average users, just make the choice be a difficult to get to registry entry, or entries, or make it a ten step process that no average person would be able to do, instead of not giving us a choice.

As for the alarm, you are okay with native alarm and with an app that's been updated recently.
Any older alarm has this problem on Android 6:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/help/galaxy-s7-alarms-deepsleep-t3337434

I feel like this needs to be said often, but people argue one way vs. the other whereas the argument should always be choice vs. no choice without arguing what that choice should be.
And if they want to keep something away from average users, just make the choice be a difficult to get to registry entry, or entries, or make it a ten step process that no average person would be able to do, instead of not giving us a choice.
Well said. :thup:

First of all, it would be very helpful if you specifically post which privacy setting has been reset?
Second, if you have Win 10 Pro, you can turn off auto updates. They will then only be auto-applied as soon as you go to the Windows Update page, but not if you don't go there.

Haven't found that option yet. The settings that get reverted to default are these
These.PNG

and these
this.PNG

And these settings seem to be purely decorative
placebo.PNG

I will keep my eye out on those.
I can't really start on Windows 10 consumer version with a major new build coming in two weeks, on Aug 2, there will be a new "anniversary build" - that will be my starting point with the consumer version of Windows 10.
Now I have an insider version of Windows 10 which I cannot inspect for privacy issues (you think your privacy was comprised on the consumer version, try insider version, I would imagine *everything goes to Microsoft from the insider version...)

Haven't found that option yet.
* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]

But it will do so if you manually visit the Windows Update page.

New major build 14390 has just been completed, it may be the RTM for the Anniversary Update version of Windows 10, scheduled for release on August 2.

It will have "Active Hours" new feature to allow users to set the hours of work, preventing the Windows 10 OS to automatically reboot the system in order to install an update during those hours.

New major build 14390 has just been completed, it may be the RTM for the Anniversary Update version of Windows 10, scheduled for release on August 2.

It will have "Active Hours" new feature to allow users to set the hours of work, preventing the Windows 10 OS to automatically reboot the system in order to install an update during those hours.

The screen in the third picture (post# 54) was supposed to do exactly that. It didn't do that, though. I went in to this knowing a lot of the issues, and with the assumption (my bad) that fixes were either available or in the works. I prefer to make changes within the OS instead of filling up my SSD with third party programs. I don't mind rolling up my sleeves and getting dirty, and 500 GB isn't the never ending well of storage it used to be. World of Warcraft takes up 30 GB now. (I know, "WoW? Really?" Yes, really. I have my reasons. LOL) I'll end up with 75 or more GB of games. I've been whiny, I admit that, and there is some getting used to the new layout that will ease things with time. I appreciate all the help I'm getting here. Thanks, guys. :)

World of Warcraft takes up 30 GB now. (I know, "WoW? Really?" Yes, really. I have my reasons. LOL) I'll end up with 75 or more GB of games.

30gb ? i think mine's got the whole Legion pre-patch already inside...

Clipboard01.jpg

Yeah, at the moment I'm still on the free trial. I still want to find Cataclysm. It's a legacy thing. One of those father/daughter bonding moments from way back. We even went to see "Warcraft" this week at the theater. :)

Back