• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Cortana, you're fired!"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My neighbor has 8.1 and I get called upon frequently to deal with old hardware, software issues, etc.. I really don't like any of the interfaces in W8. Explorer in W8 is just a no-go for me. And so far, W 10 is everything I hate about 8 on steroids. I'm tempted to send my $140 disc to M$ with a nasty note as to where they can store it, on an individual programmer level, with an anatomically correct diagram to make sure they get the message. :)

You should go with Windows 7 then.
But compatibility mode resolves most hardware issues and I am running Windows XP buttons using Classic Shell inside the explorers of both Windows 8 and Windows 10.
So this is not an issue.

Windows 10 can be modified just like Windows 8 can be and it's a pretty good OS when modified if only the updates could be controlled.
If your problems with Windows 8/10 are not related to that, then your issue is with *default* settings and no one can help you with that...
You really should not move from Windows 7. There is no cure for what's default, Alaric. There is a cure if you are willing to invest time for some of the stuff.
If not, there is zero reason for you to go anywhere near Windows 8/10, right?

I hate that windows 8 does not have windows to move around, also I don't like the picture library or when you look at pictures, I like windows 7 better.

I'm having a lot of trouble when I use my web browsers in windows 10 it makes my windows not work well after a long period of use. Is anyone else having problems with windows 10 after long usage periods?

I was OK with the ability to fix *most* of the settings, but setting a time for updates has no effect whatsoever. It does what it wants when it wants and ignores the settings it claims to offer. And resets everything to defaults every god#%@!* time it updates. I get no warning when it updates and have to go back in and re fix all that crap they so diligently try to hide. It's absolutely maddening.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate that windows 8 does not have windows to move around, also I don't like the picture library or when you look at pictures, I like windows 7 better.

I'm having a lot of trouble when I use my web browsers in windows 10 it makes my windows not work well after a long period of use. Is anyone else having problems with windows 10 after long usage periods?

Couldn't tell you. The effen thing updates and restarts so damn often I don't get long periods of usage. :(

I hate that windows 8 does not have windows to move around...

What, are you talking about Metro, which you never ever have to see once Classic Shell is installed?

...also I don't like the picture library or when you look at pictures, I like windows 7 better.
Picture library? You install freeware like XnView or similar, you customize it, and you never use a Picture Library, you use a custom location of your choosing.

.I'm having a lot of trouble when I use my web browsers in windows 10 it makes my windows not work well after a long period of use. Is anyone else having problems with windows 10 after long usage periods?
What browsers, and what are the symptoms?

- - - Updated - - -

I was OK with the ability to fix *most* of the settings, but setting a time for updates has no effect whatsoever. It does what it wants when it wants and ignores the settings it claims to offer. And resets everything to defaults every god#%@!* time it updates. I get no warning when it updates and have to go back in and re fix all that crap they so diligently try to hide. It's absolutely maddening.

You can disable that in Windows 10 but if you even visit a Windows 10 update page, all updates automatically begin installing and they *will* reset many of your modifications, every time there is a major new Win10 build. You need to stay away from Windows 10 if this is a problem for you.

* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]

But it will do so if you manually visit the Windows Update page.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't tell you. The effen thing updates and restarts so damn often I don't get long periods of usage. :(

It sounds like your having trouble now. When I do clean installs of windows 10 the PC only updates a little for me and all my settings stay saved. I only had the problem you describe of it not saving settings when I did not have the new version of windows 10. The problem of when to restart updates on a schedule dose not work for me also, I just do all the updates right away.

That's because by Reset we mean

1. Registry tweaks and similar. They are reset. We are not talking about little User Interface changes inside Windows 10.
2. Only after a MAJOR Windows 10 build update, not smaller updates in between.

What, are you talking about Metro, which you never ever have to see once Classic Shell is installed?

Picture library? You install freeware like XnView or similar, you customize it, and you never use a Picture Library, you use a custom location of your choosing.

What browsers, and what are the symptoms?

- - - Updated - - -

You can disable that in Windows 10 but if you even visit a Windows 10 update page, all updates automatically begin installing and they *will* reset many of your modifications, every time there is a major new Win10 build. You need to stay away from Windows 10 if this is a problem for you.

* Start > gpedit.msc [available on Windows 10 Pro - not available on Windows 10 (non-pro) version.]
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates > Disabled [Windows Update will not check for new updates automatically.]

But it will do so if you manually visit the Windows Update page.

When I use the windows 10 web browser IE11 for 8 hours and open a lot of tabs I have problem with page loading and when watching videos the sound will go out then YouTube wont load after a while trying to get it to work, also at the same time when I place a picture on my desk top it drops into my Icons and messes the Icon arrangement all up and I don't have auto arrange Icons enabled, then when I go to look at pictures they won't enlarge the pictures is blank when it enlarges. Then when I go to reboot I can't get to the restart tab with my left mouse I have to use the right mouse button. Once I reboot every thing is fine for a while.

Chrome after using for a extended period of time I have page loading trouble with many tabs it says it is having trouble with Adobe flash on all tabs.

Iv tried a clean install of windows 10 and memory out of another system, running all stock configuration with hardware no XMP no joy.

I can't get M$ Photo Viewer to resemble the old one in any way. I get this black bordered disaster that looks more like DOS than anything. Just like Windows 8 I find the interfaces aesthetically repellant and functionally awkward.

I don't mind the Photo, Viewer I just don't like it when I use my PC for extended periods and I only have a black Photo Viewer with no Picture, when looking at pictures.:(

Alaric, neither I nor anyone else can help you with what's essentially a personal opinion. You have a problem with native stuff? And you want old native stuff to stay the same in every Windows version? That's never going to happen. Stay with Windows 7 or find a non-native program that you like and set it up like you like it to be. It's nice that you have an opinion, but we can't help you by changing native Windows apps.

I happened to have tested many image viewers, many years ago. I settled on this freeware, which I use on all my OS from Windows XP to Windows 10, but this is just a personal opinion of mine, and once I figured out how to set it up, I set it up on ALL OS, thereby not relying on native stuff.
http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/#downloads

XnView 2.24

Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.

Start the program once (to create a settings folder).
Open one picture to get rid of the initial social media message.

Default buttons are saved in the default.bar file.
Settings can be saved in xnview.ini file.
[Options > System integration > Save options: SELECT: as INI in folder User]

They are located in

"%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\XnView"

Which is a link to
C:\Users\[Name of User Account]\Application Data\XnView
or
C:\Documents and Settings\[Name of User Account]\Application Data\XnView\
or
C:\Users\[Name of User Account]\AppData\Roaming\XnView\

Suggested buttons:
Browser, Save as, Crop, Rotate, Quick Slide Show, Fullscreen, Print, Scan, Vertical Flip, Horizontal Flip, Zoom out, Zoom in, Previous File, Next File

Suggested buttons Browser: everything except: Convert, Create Contact Sheet, Options, About

Tools > Options > Keyboard/Mouse > Mouse wheel > Previous/Next file

Tools > Options > Browser > File List > UNCHECK: AI, PS, PDF files

Tools > Options > Associations > SELECT: View as Extension > .bmp .gif .giff .jpe .jpeg .jpg .pbm .png .tif .tiff

Tools > Options... > View > Misc TAB > UNCHECK: Play movie and Play sound [to preview pictures only.]

Tools > Options... > System Integration > UNCHECK: Add 'Browse with XnView' to context menu

Open one picture > Edit > Background Color > Choose white as the color that is visible after only a part of a picture is deleted.

Turn off printer, open one picture then
File > Print > Header / Footer TAB > UNCHECK: Footer > Print
(The setting will be saved without unnecessarily printing the picture because the printer is off.)

Delete keys:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Browse with XnView
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\Browse with XnView

To Batch Convert:
XnView Browser > Select Folder > CTRL+A to add all files > Tools > Batch Processing >
Select Output Directory > (lower left corner) Go

When I use the windows 10 web browser IE11 for 8 hours and open a lot of tabs I have problem with page loading and when watching videos the sound will go out then YouTube wont load after a while trying to get it to work, also at the same time when I place a picture on my desk top it drops into my Icons and messes the Icon arrangement all up and I don't have auto arrange Icons enabled, then when I go to look at pictures they won't enlarge the pictures is blank when it enlarges. Then when I go to reboot I can't get to the restart tab with my left mouse I have to use the right mouse button. Once I reboot every thing is fine for a while.

Chrome after using for a extended period of time I have page loading trouble with many tabs it says it is having trouble with Adobe flash on all tabs.

Iv tried a clean install of windows 10 and memory out of another system, running all stock configuration with hardware no XMP no joy.

This is an individual system problem, text book definition of.
IDEAS:
You need to close Internet Explorer to release back memory used.
You may have a memory leak.
Try using Firefox.

Use a program to arrange Desktop Icons placement with like
Desktop Icon Save and Restore
http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

Watch your total memory usage using MemInfo
http://www.carthagosoft.net/Downloads.php

This is an individual system problem, text book definition of.
IDEAS:
You need to close Internet Explorer to release back memory used.
You may have a memory leak.
Try using Firefox.

Use a program to arrange Desktop Icons placement with like
Desktop Icon Save and Restore
http://www.midiox.com/desktoprestore.htm

Watch your total memory usage using MemInfo
http://www.carthagosoft.net/Downloads.php

There is no such thing as running out of memory that is what the HDD or SSD is for, page file.

Of course it's a memory leak windows 10 is crap it controls the memory address for all programs, have you read about the mess they did with memory allocation in window 10 for improvement.

I tired all the web browsers windows leaks all over it self, Microsoft can't make a web browser or a OS, that's in the text book.

Why do I need to use some program for my Icons can't windows not auto arrange.

Text book I don't think so, I appreciate your help however more software is not the solution when windows screws up with it self on memory.

Microsoft needs to start from scratch instead of using XP with a new skin and some not so good add ins. Samsung Galaxy S7 edge works great, Android 6.0, why can't Microsoft do that..

Just think all I have to do to fix it, is stop all my work and try to restart my PC however I can't save my work.

Last edited:
That's because by Reset we mean

1. Registry tweaks and similar. They are reset. We are not talking about little User Interface changes inside Windows 10.
2. Only after a MAJOR Windows 10 build update, not smaller updates in between.

Um, yeah, no. All my privacy settings return to default after every update. I've only had W 10 installed on a new rig for less than a week and it's done it three times. I schedule Windows Update to "Notify to schedule restart" and it restarts immediately after the next update. All those settings in Preferences are nothing but a pat on the head. Even if it were only for "major" updates (what is considered "major"? They ain't telling us what the updates are, let alone their significance) there is no flippin' reason to reset them at all unless there is underhanded shenanigans going on. I'm getting my tinfoil hat out and putting new creases in it.

Win8.1 (Not 8, NEVER install 8.) is really good! I use it and its awesome! Im already used to the interface and think its better in some places than the Win7 interface and vise versa.
Try Win8.1 and see if you like it. Also as people above said, Install the classic shell thing if you dont like the interface :p.

There is no such thing as running out of memory that is what the HDD or SSD is for, page file.

Next time this happens, simply close every program, and without restarting see if the memory has been released, when you restart your browser (not restart your computer).
Post what happens, then we can go on from there.

Actually every new version of Windows has made improvements over how memory is handled. People have misunderstood memory allocation on newer Windows versions, and have incorrectly assumed that newer Windows are memory hogs. They are not. The problems you are having are unique to you. I hope they can be fixed.

You don't have to use any program for icons, I was just sharing how I go a step further and want every icon to be in a custom place so that if those places are re-arranged, that program restores them. You don't have to do that, absolutely not...

I do heavy modding of Android cell phones and never in my life have I found worse examples of frustration than on Android.
Are you kidding? Are you aware how many new restrictions EACH new version of Android has brought?
Android is EXPONENTIALLY WORSE than Microsoft Windows when it comes to freedom to choose what you want.
I can engage you on this in detail, I have custom Android operating systems on all my cell phones, I routinely install the newest Android versions on older cell phones and see first hand how many new restrictions they put in place.

Your problems are not experienced by everyone therefore they cannot be blanket applied to the Windows operating system, wingman99.
But we can maybe figure them out and fix them...

Last edited:
Um, yeah, no. All my privacy settings return to default after every update. I've only had W 10 installed on a new rig for less than a week and it's done it three times. I schedule Windows Update to "Notify to schedule restart" and it restarts immediately after the next update. All those settings in Preferences are nothing but a pat on the head. Even if it were only for "major" updates (what is considered "major"? They ain't telling us what the updates are, let alone their significance) there is no flippin' reason to reset them at all unless there is underhanded shenanigans going on. I'm getting my tinfoil hat out and putting new creases in it.

First of all, it would be very helpful if you specifically post which privacy setting has been reset?
Second, if you have Win 10 Pro, you can turn off auto updates. They will then only be auto-applied as soon as you go to the Windows Update page, but not if you don't go there.

Major is when they release a new build that adds/removes major Windows features, rather than just patches a security hole or two.

Each new major build is like a new operating system version.
That is why some of these things are reset.
People who have a problem with this should not use Windows 10, but this will continue to happen with every new major build of Windows 10..

- - - Updated - - -

Win8.1 (Not 8, NEVER install 8.) is really good! I use it and its awesome! I'm already used to the interface and think its better in some places than the Win7 interface and vise versa.
Try Win8.1 and see if you like it. Also as people above said, Install the classic shell thing if you don't like the interface :p.
Are you referring to the fact that Microsoft finally put in small parts of Classic Shell inside Windows 8.1?

If so then a 30 second install of Classic Shell is what makes an even bigger difference as you can further modify the Start Menu and this can be done on Windows 8.0, as Well as Windows 8.1 making any version of Windows 8 with Classic Shell "better than" any other version of Windows 8 without Classic Shell.

Not as many people would be using Windows 7 if Microsoft gave people the option, just the option of Windows 8 + Classic Shell natively.

I have been working on this for 3 weeks since my upgrade from i5 2500k to i5 6600k, of course I closed the browsers to see if I could get the browsers to work also the problems in windows don't go away. Memory leaks are lost memory address you don't relive that by closing down a applications windows looses track of the memory that is why it is called memory leak it spills all over all memory address.

Well who uses there web browser strait for 8+ hours plus multitasking, most people are on there smartphones and don't use this windows 10 junk hardly at all.

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Android 6.0 I like the default options on Android I'm glad they make it more restrictive less to mess up on settings accidently with a missed swipe of a finger.

Sounds like using phones and tablets is the solution for you.
Interestingly just like you approve of the draconian restrictions found on latest Android versions, so too others approve of Windows 10 restrictions. I understand that you don't see the parallel.

I think users should have a choice but the big picture in this thread is that there is dislike for Microsoft on an emotional level here and that's something this forum usually doesn't deal with well effectively.

Your last sentence is word for word justification used by supporters of Windows 10 resetting modified settings.... Do you realize that?

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything Draconian in the newer Android versions but will admit to "only known enough to know what I don't know". I'd be interested to hear more about that, if you are willing to expound :)

Back