• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed on 32" gaming monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking to upgrade from my current 24" Asus VG248QE to a curved 32".

I have been looking at the Gigabyte G32QC which is 2560x1440 and with this size I wouldn't want a 1920x1080P due to the larger pixel pitch. I will be sitting about 3' from the screen and I'm curious to what others feel about a 32" screen @3' viewing distance.

I'm not set on the Gigabyte monitor but that's about what I'm after. My budget is $500 so that likely puts me out of a 4K gaming monitor.

Concerns are:

Viewing distance

Refresh rate

Curved or flat

Quality of monitor

My current PC desk has a maximum of 21.25" unless I remove the top shelf but trying to avoid that. With regards to the Gigabyte G32QC, specs are 21.85" high with stand, would this be the maximum height with stand or minimum?

All input appreciated.

Just my thoughts as I can't recommend any specific model.

It depends on what games you want to play. Personally I find AOC 32" 2560x1440 VA or IPS flat panels good and cheap. However, these cheaper models have 60 or 75Hz refresh rates (newer are 75Hz with free sync) only so are better for single-player RPG or something like that where is less movement. For quick online games better will be 144Hz panels but it will require a faster graphics card as you won't see any special difference if a game will run at 40FPS. The perfect ratio is FPS=Hz in 1:1 as one FPS is one screen refresh per second so Hz. This is also why 4k displays are not the best for gaming. The higher display resolution makes you use a better graphics card.

Personally I play on older 32" AOC 2560x1440 VA, 60hz and for me, it's fine for online games too but for some gamers, it may not be the best. On the newer generation AOC, which has my brother, with 75Hz and free sync, it's a bit smoother during quick movement so I guess this is what I would recommend as the inexpensive minimum.
I don't like curved panels. I feel they will disappear from the market in 2-3 years.

One advice. If you have any large electro store where you can take a look at multiple monitors and compare them then just do that. Monitor's specification not always says everything about the monitor. There are additional things like backlight, brightness, contrast, and colors. Of course many things you can adjust from the monitor's menu but not everything.

(copy/pasted that from the earlier thread, I hope you won't ask to delete this one too ;) )

Mods, please delete. Thanks

i6pwr, please don't delete your posts. For one reason it wastes other members time and effort-notice Woomacks frustration. Also, it doesn't help anyone in the future who may be searching the web trying to find similar solutions to yours.

You claim the reason for deleting is that you posted in the wrong forum, if this is true then mods and admins can and will relocate your post to the appropriate one if necessary.

Thank you for understanding. We're just trying to keep the forums neat and tidy.

EDIT- Looks like E_D merged your two posts.

Last edited:
No worries, not going to ask to delete this one...:D

I did see Gigabyte was going to release a 34” ultra wide, looks like it would fit in the collapsed position
I don’t know if I want 4K yet, I have a lot of 1080P videos I edit so unsure how the native resolution of the wider monitors will work with 1920x1080P content.

Not dead set on curved either, but I find it easier to view a 32-34” panel with a slight curve.

I’m not after max FPS, but a fluid experience and not a lot of slightly choppy playback or panning, my 248 does well in that regard.

i6pwr, please don't delete your posts. For one reason it wastes other members time and effort-notice Woomacks frustration. Also, it doesn't help anyone in the future who may be searching the web trying to find similar solutions to yours.

You claim the reason for deleting is that you posted in the wrong forum, if this is true then mods and admins can and will relocate your post to the appropriate one if necessary.

Thank you for understanding. We're just trying to keep the forums neat and tidy.

I understand.

When I deleted the thread from the "Hardware" forum, I was the only one who had posted. If someone replied, I assume it happened simultaneously, so sorry if that caused any issues.

I clicked on my original post, and there were no replies, which is why I deleted it, but I checked first.

I picked up an Alienware AW3418DW used but in excellent shape. This should hold me over for awhile. The 980Ti performs better than expected but a 10-series card or higher is in the works.

Back