• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a new desktop... what's the best I can do with a low/medium budget...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

karossii

Registered
I have at least $1250, possibly up to $2000 to spend on a computer in the next few days/weeks.

Right now I have a desktop which is 4 years old; AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black Edition with 4 Gigs of RAM, 6TB storage, and a pair of 9800GTS 1GB cards, running a 28" monitor at 1920x1200. I don't remember exactly which mobo I have, but it was upper/mid grade.

So, what would you say is the absolute best I can do on the budget of ... let's call it $1500?

• I can keep my HDs (though I would like to add a fast system drive)
  • my monitor is fine (I always want bigger, but...)
  • I have a 1kw power supply that seems to be in no danger of dying anytime soon
  • my case is utter crap, so I should probably get a new one...
  • definitely need a new mobo and processor; doesn't have to be the best, but I'd like something I could keep for another few years without seeing any compatibility issues with new software (like my 9600 - it just now handles on the 'average' level, and I could probably keep it a few more years before I *HAD* to replace it... in fact it will become my wife's PC)
  • I'll need new RAM to go in a new mobo...
  • graphics cards - I do some video editing, decent amount of gaming, a lot of home theater stuff
  • I'd like bluetooth, but not a major requirement. Same goes with a card reader.
  • On-board audio is okay, I do use the PC for a home theater a lot, but I just run a pair of high-end powered studio monitors which have amazing sound even just in plain old stereo. I have a 5.1 speaker setup, but haven't plugged it in in years.

Low/medium budget 1500$ ? that's a nice budget ...

what kind of HDD and Power unit ?

It really depend on what kind of stuff you want to do with it, you say you do gaming but how much
In my choice for you I took the i7-2600k since your doing video editing and have a good budget and also 8Gb of ram might want more but it's your call on that, I also put a CM fan if you wish to overclock
I also choose a case but it's really your choice on this one, and also with that king of budget go with and SSD no question ask ..
And as for bluetooth The P8P67 Mobo as it built in and also has a 8 channel audio integrated

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

Last edited:
You can build from sctach with that budget!!

Asus P8P67 Evo
120GB SSD
GTX 570/ 6950 flashed to 6970
Corsair 650W PSU
Case = your choice.

Low/medium budget 1500$ ? that's a nice budget ...

what kind of HDD and Power unit ?

My last PC I built with a $2500 budget, and had contemplated up to $3600... and even then wasn't going to get everything I wanted... so it feels low/medium to me.

I have 4 various cheap 1TB drives and a 2TB drive... bought as they went on sale at microcenter; I don't remember the brands. They are for video and music storage mostly. I need to get a good system drive; mine currently is a 250GB 10,000 RPM platter - want a good SSD.

PSU is a PCP&P 1KW, about 2 years old.

Every system is a compromise. This benchmark site has a LOT of info on relative performance, and prices: cpu's, video cards, hard drives, etc.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Personally, I'm big on WD Black series HD's with large buffers, the Intel 2600k cpu, which overclocks just looking at it, with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ (although I like the Thermalright 120 for it's black nickel finish), to keep it cool, and the Asus P8P67Pro mobo.

The newer Asus Z68 chipset based boards may interest you, but I don't do multimedia work, so it didn't catch my eye.

Bulldozer may change things in AMD's favor, but right now, the 2600k is the sweet spot in cpu's. I just picked up the above suggestions (still using my trusty WD Black however), and couldn't be happier with it. VERY quiet, and uses a lot less energy (until it's overclocked of course), even though it's working hard on 8 threads, folding proteins for our Rosetta team.

Back