• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED XBMC Buntu - No audio - Help please!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

Hey guys, I recently installed XBMC Buntu on my media centre however I'm having a few issues.

Everything works great except audio and secondary hard drives. Video will display however I can't get audio on ANY device in the system, be it ATI HDMI, Creative X-Fi or nVidia onboard audio. These all show up in XBMC however none of them seem to do anything.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Likewise I boot off an old 1st gen SSD with a 2TB drive for storage. For whatever reason it takes ages for the 2TB drive to actually be detected and become useable. Whats the answer here? Do I need to get a NAS just so I can use this distro? :screwy:

XBMC is literally lightning quick on this distro and I'd love to get this running properly. Is anyone able to help me regarding this?

Check to make sure it is outputting to the proper device in the operating system. I'm not sure what program they use by default, but it should be fairly obvious. Then, make sure it isn't muted/turned down in the mixer. Test sounds out of XBMC to verify they are working.

For the drives, have you added them to /etc/fstab to be mounted in a specific place? If not, you will probably want to start there.

Check to make sure it is outputting to the proper device in the operating system. I'm not sure what program they use by default, but it should be fairly obvious. Then, make sure it isn't muted/turned down in the mixer. Test sounds out of XBMC to verify they are working.

For the drives, have you added them to /etc/fstab to be mounted in a specific place? If not, you will probably want to start there.

I'm not sure how to go about that. XBMC Buntu is the equivalent of XBMC Live except the newest release. If you log into the Linux side of things there's no control panel, the sound & video section just has XBMC Amin and loads XBMC when you click on it. The ATI Catalyst section was great for getting rid of overscan issues..... There really isn't anything else there for me to use except XTerm and File Manager....... I rather wish they'd just gone with a full Linux install with XBMC on top..... :-/

Mind you, I've never previously been able to fix overscan issues, this is the first time I've had audio issues in Linux..... If its not one thing, its another.....

How do I look at this stuff without a Control Panel/System Settings section? This looks to be the best release of XBMC so far in terms of speed etc, but not of much use without sound.

Ok, replaced the mainboard with an AMD chipset board, everything now works properly.... Now to figure out how to create network shares.....

Back