• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When is the GPUpocalypse going to end?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@ mackerel
Don't look at Amazon, they have sick prices and problems with availability. You can order and wait for weeks for the card.
Check sites like https://geizhals.eu/ or https://skinflint.co.uk/ and you find many offers ... just not always good prices.

I haven't bought a GPU from Amazon in say the last year or two but haven't had problems with them in the past.

I hadn't tried skinflint before. For GPUs, apart from a few major vendors, most listings are amazon marketplace sellers that don't sound like regular hardware sellers. In other words, is that where scalpers operate these days? To me that's not a source I'd consider. Others are welcome to buy from them if they want.

You do have to understand that the original NVIDIA/AMD MSRP is no longer a thing (Except for Founder's/AMD Direct.) Example the $499 MSRP on the 3070 is long gone. Prices are now at $600+ for a 3070. This is now the AIB Company's MSRP.

Realistically, NVIDIA's MSRP to performance ratio skewed too far to the less expensive side. The 3080 should have released at $899, 3070 at $699, 3060Ti at $599. This would have made the potential profit margin that a scalper makes skinnier and possibly not worth the shipping and sale fees. Also would have had miners calculating the return on investment timelines differently.

Instead what has happened is that manufacturers saw that consumers are willing to pay scalped prices and raised their prices accordingly. The 3080Ti shockingly has an "MSRP" of $1199 just like the 2080Ti did.

At this point it may be best for you to wait for Ethereum's Proof of Stake to go into effect causing a mining GPU sell off and/or next gens to come out.

Did you sign up for any EVGA waitlists? That was gold.

In the meantime keep checking NewEgg's Shuffle. Today they had an EVGA 3060 and 550w PSU combo for $475. Cheap sell the PSU for $40-50 and get a decent deal on the 3060.

Tomorrow they will have this for $540: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-gef...er-2-0/p/N82E16814932468?Item=N82E16814932468

I hear ya. I've been trying newegg's shuffle with zero success. I'm really not trying to go below a 3070ti. I would really like a 3080/ti. A 3060/ti isn't any better than my 1070 except for ray tracing, and I don't have any titles that utilize that. I'm sure I'll snag a new card, but not anytime soon. $1200 is wayyy more than I'm willing to spend. Not going to buy any card that's been mined on either.

I don't think the 3080Ti & 3070Ti are a decent value at the moment.

I'd be checking out falcodrin on twitch and see when the next Best Buy sale is to try and grab a Founders card.

If mining cards flood the used market the money you'd save would be worth the possible detrimental affects mining has. At least for me.

Next gen will be better. We will hopefully not have supply chain/chip issues, mining may not be as profitable and hopefully everyone who over paid for a current gen card does not upgrade.

Nope, I've tried every BB drop for months now as a friend wants a Nvidia 3080 at MSRP. I tell him he is delusional but he calls it being determined, so he and I both keep trying to snag him one.

Yeah, same here. I keep searching and waiting. Hopefully I'll be able to snag one close to MSRP. In the mean time I'll keep smoking the good stuff and dream ;)

I looked into my crystal ball and saw that GPUs are gonna come down in price in the second half of 2022.

Ethereum (which accounts for the vast majority of GPU mining) will move to proof of stake in June, becoming unmineable. This will greatly decrease miners' demands for GPUs, and also flood the market with millions of used GPUs. In addition, Intel will soon start shipping GPUs. Late 2022 will be a good time to build a PC. I will revisit this post then to gloat and say I told you so.

There are other coins to mine. And a lot of them are not affected by LHR limitations.

I think the small miners who didn't plan to be in it for the long haul will consider jumping ship. But I will also put my money on miners who held their mining profits will cash out to buy these "dumped" cards en masse.

There are other coins to mine. And a lot of them are not affected by LHR limitations.

I think the small miners who didn't plan to be in it for the long haul will consider jumping ship. But I will also put my money on miners who held their mining profits will cash out to buy these "dumped" cards en masse.

While there are other coins to mine, the issue is that very few, if any, are profitable to mine compared to Eth. And the market cap and hashrate of the other coins (at this moment) couldn't sustain everyone switching over from ETH to those coins. I fully expect to see an absolute ton of used GPUs on the market. Assuming ETH does actually go PoS.

I am expecting a hit to mining profits. But, I am also working on that price of the next coins to be mined don't have a sharp increase in value. If the value of those coins go up that may counteract (or partially) the total hashrate jumping.

We can already see that miners are starting to sell out graphics cards. On local (only Polish) auctions, I see 400+ used RTX3070 for sale. Additionally, there are a lot of other cards. Prices for new cards are still high but will drop quickly when the demand is much lower already.
Even though there are other coins then most people are not mining them because are harder to mine/sell or are less profitable. Think that in some countries, there are problems with money transfers. I have to transfer all through 3 accounts as there is no direct way to my local bank.

I looked into my crystal ball and saw that GPUs are gonna come down in price in the second half of 2022.

Ethereum (which accounts for the vast majority of GPU mining) will move to proof of stake in June, becoming unmineable. This will greatly decrease miners' demands for GPUs, and also flood the market with millions of used GPUs. In addition, Intel will soon start shipping GPUs. Late 2022 will be a good time to build a PC. I will revisit this post then to gloat and say I told you so.
While I agree with this sentiment and your projected dates, The issue is not primarily the miners (yes, they play a role). The more relevant issue is the manufacturers themselves have seen what people are willing to pay. Gamers are the only ones buying up the cards and are "accepting" that it was "only $200 over MSRP". Miners aren't willing to take a loss. Yes, there are a few new miners that don't understand or haven't learned yet and will overspend due to FOMO, but this is a fairly small segment.

My prediction is in July, if and when ETH 2.0 hits, Many miners will switch to other coins. Many will mine for a few weeks/months before shutting their rig(s) down. The frustration/hassle will not be worth the effort. GPU prices will still be the same. Not because of miners, but because gamers have shown the manufacturers they are willing to pay it, whatever the cost.

My local Microcenter has over a dozen GPUs sitting on the shelf. They are priced at the current normal MSRP. Nobody wants them because they are overpriced from the manufacturer.

PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Hellhound 13 in stock at $599 (the most efficient mining card)

PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Red Devil Limited stock at $1499

Sapphire Technology AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Nitro Plus Limited stock at $1630

Nobody wants them because they are AMD.
FTFY... :p :rofl:

EDIT: On a more serious note, look at your MC... are there any 3000 series cards there? None available at mine, yet, like yours, there are AMD cards. I assume these are priced much higher than MSRP (and NV cards) and therefore not selling???

The only Nvidia cards available are/were the 1660Ti selling at $365 (they had 7 this morning and the hoard has probably eaten them by now) and some base cards like the 1050.

As far as MSRP, what really does it really mean anymore? The RX 6600 had a launch MSRP of $330. They were never listed for this price and AIB's started selling them for $450+? I understand that the AIB's generally include better coolers, power management, OC, etc, but where are the OEM cards? There were literally ZERO cards produced that sold for MSRP. We can say the same for most other cards produced in 2021. IIRC the RTX 3060ti was the last card actually sold for MSRP. There may have been another, but I sure as hell don't remember it. :shrug:

I have no problems buying anything in Poland, just a matter of price as new cards are not much cheaper than some weeks/months ago.

GPU prices will still be the same. Not because of miners, but because gamers have shown the manufacturers they are willing to pay it, whatever the cost.

PowerColor AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Hellhound 13 in stock at $599 (the most efficient mining card)

That's the main problem. People, even those quite poor are willing to spend way too much money, and I mean in Poland some earn like $450 per month and still spend money on $1500 graphics cards.

I'm selling RX6600XT Hellhound right now. Even though I set about $150 lower price than stores then so far no one is interested.

The only Nvidia cards available are/were the 1660Ti selling at $365 (they had 7 this morning and the hoard has probably eaten them by now) and some base cards like the 1050.

As far as MSRP, what really does it really mean anymore? The RX 6600 had a launch MSRP of $330. They were never listed for this price and AIB's started selling them for $450+? I understand that the AIB's generally include better coolers, power management, OC, etc, but where are the OEM cards? There were literally ZERO cards produced that sold for MSRP. We can say the same for most other cards produced in 2021. IIRC the RTX 3060ti was the last card actually sold for MSRP. There may have been another, but I sure as hell don't remember it. :shrug:
Oh, no doubt!

What I meant was is the % difference over 'MSRP' more with AMD cards? And if so, why? Are they more efficient mining? Gaming-wise I thought they were similar in non RT use.

But at my local best buy and mc, that's been the story.. you can get amd cards a lot easier than NV (price be damned).

As far as mining goes. the RX 6600 and 6600 XT are reportedly the most efficient, though don't produce a lot of Hashrate. Nearly all current Nvidia cards are Hashrate limited (except the 3090 and FE) though the mining devs have been able to come up with semi-work around to gain 75-85% Hashrate. Still, higher-end Nvidia will outperform every AMD, even Hashrate limited. An RX 6900 XT will get ~61Mh/s. That's the equivalent of an original 3070.

Typing this out I realized, AMD never needed to LHR its cards.

Back