• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of chair should I get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stupid Boy

I have never had a comfortable chair. I've been looking at this type of chair:
http://www.officemax.com/max/soluti...xpansionOID=-536880778&prodBlockOID=537044822
http://www.officedepot.com/ddMain.do?level=FM&id=548&location_info=SG_10_CT_803_SC_803001_FM_548
http://staples.com/Catalog/Browse/s...e=Task/Ergonomic+Chairs+-+Fabric+without+Arms

Three Questions:
1. Is this chair comfortable enough to work in it for about eight hours straight? (Only respond to this if you used this type of chair, please.)

2. What chairs have you found comfortable enough to use for eight hours straight? (I'm not referring to the type of chair to which I provided links.)

3. What manufacturer of the chairs to which I provided links makes the highest quality ones?

Your officemax and staples links don't work. I would assume that the chairs are all the same? I have "sat" in a chair like for like an hour. Was not very comfortable at all. Made my knees and lower back hurt for a couple of days. I personally would reccomend a high quality high-back leather chair. The one I have I got from Office Max for $300 with a $100 instant rebate at the time. I'm not sure, but I think it is made by Samsonite.

Go down to the store and sit in some chairs. That's how I found my chair which I can use for almost 8 hours straight. I like chairs with a back that barely reaches my shoulder blades. As for quality, just check out the demo model and see if it'll last.

rxc said:
Go down to the store and sit in some chairs. That's how I found my chair which I can use for almost 8 hours straight. I like chairs with a back that barely reaches my shoulder blades. As for quality, just check out the demo model and see if it'll last.

Any chair can stay comfortable for 10 minutes, and I'm not going to sit in an office store for a couple hours to test a chair.

I have used this type of chair on weight-lifting equipment. It stayed comfortable after sitting in it for about half an hour, but I was lifting weights--not typing on a keyboard.

Thanks for the advice on checking the quality. I never thought of that! I sure am stupid.

KaHNZa, is it possible that the chair you used was not adjusted properly? A few months ago, I sat in one at OfficeMax, and it was very comfortable. Yesterday, I went to the same OfficeMax, but the chair there was not comfortable. I'm sure that the chairs were adjusted to different settings, and I was in a rush, so I didn't have a chance to play with the chair's settings.

well a chair is a chair. so just get any1. i don't think that it's a big business. ok the point is not to heart your back but this days almost all the office chairs are built with back protection;)

Asteras said:
well a chair is a chair. so just get any1. i don't think that it's a big business. ok the point is not to heart your back but this days almost all the office chairs are built with back protection;)

Yes it is big business, Sitting incorrectly or having the wrong type of chair can cause serious back problems and RSI to other parts of your body.

what you have to remember is that eurgonomics play a big part of chossing you chair. It needs to have adjustable height so that it matches the desk you are using there are numerous websites that explain all this.

The other think is that when using computers especaily for gaming you tend to lean forward to look closer at the screen (Normally when playing FPS where you are looking for those sneaky gits hiding) This will put alot of stress on your knee's and lower back when using this type of chair, also there have been suggestions that using those type of chairs for long periods of time while good for your posture can cause bad circulation and the same effects as ecomemy class syndrome that you get when flying.

As others have stated, get a good office chair, if you are looking for one that is good for your posture then i would recommened a good mesh style office chair as while they are good for your back allow it to fit perfectly to all shapes and sizes. (Beware of imitations I am looking for the real thing but all i get is cheap imitations)

Ok this is what I'm talking about. I have one of these bad boys at work and they are 100% adjustable and extremely hard wearing. Just look at what you can adjust:

Arm Angle
Seat Angle
Tilt Tension
Lumbar
PostureFit
Arm Height
Forward Tilt
Tilt Limiter

The other thing I love about it is that you don't get a sweaty butt in the summer...... or for long periods of gaming ........which is why i want it!

Also i just noticed in the chairs you showed they specify these chairs are for MODERATE use & not for extended periods of time.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I want is butt cushioning. If you can sit in it and not feel the hard bottom under the cushion, you're good. After that, a little ergonomic curve helps too. The back of the chair is important too, because I like to lean back and change angles for a minute or two occasionally. I sometimes game all weekend, so I might spend 12+ hours in a chair per day. Also, I have two vertebrae fused in my lower back, so you can understand how important a chair is to me ;)

=ACID RAIN= said:
The biggest thing I want is butt cushioning. If you can sit in it and not feel the hard bottom under the cushion, you're good. After that, a little ergonomic curve helps too. The back of the chair is important too, because I like to lean back and change angles for a minute or two occasionally. I sometimes game all weekend, so I might spend 12+ hours in a chair per day. Also, I have two vertebrae fused in my lower back, so you can understand how important a chair is to me ;)

Did you check out the above link i posted?

i work on the computer a good 12 hours a day, and i have a kind of like slightly cusioned bar stool with a back that my back dosent even touch most of the time. i never have back problems... so you never know. maybe ill die early of circulation problems :D

Yeah FarEast, I saw it, and it's awesome! But....I can only justify about 100 dollars per chair, so that beast of a seat is out of the question for me, fused spine or not. The one I have now is about as perfect as I can get, just a regular highback with thick cushioning from walmart or somewhere like that.

I've got an interview for a new job tomorrow, maybe after that I can afford one ;)

www.lazboy.com

recliner_560_500.vnt

I like my chairs to be more like beds that I can just happen to sit up in to see my monitor and keyboard.

Fasr East, I have a similar chair to the one in the link you posted. I recently bought my fiance one to match. They are very comfortable(So comfotable in fact I often sit in it to watch TV, and once almost fell over because I had nodded off). These mesh chairs are some of the best I've ever sat in... I just wish I could get one for work.

my sister uses this type of chair at ehr work. she works at a draft table and computer all day and swears by this thing. you basically have a stool with no back and your feert rest underneath you the whole thing is built and angled in such a way that your back is always straight. and its very comfortable (ive sta in it a few times). you wouldnt think of from looking at it, but they seem to work well. http://www.office-chairs-discount.com/default.versions.asp?id=971

FarEast, how much does that chair cost? I can't seem to find a price.

I don't have much money to spend on a chair, so right now I think I'll get one of those weird things that I was thinking about earlier.

I asked the office supply clerk at work about them and he said they cost around $550. to buy but they get them cheaper for bulk.

FarEast, my boss has that chair. It's pretty nice to sit in, and he loves it. That's a super chair if you can spend that kind of money. :)

I just bought one of these chairs. it seems really nice for the price. Leather and highback only 39.99 after rebates normally 129.

officemax chair

If the link doesn't work it's on the front page at Officemax.com

Back