• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your favorite HTPC case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hyperasus

Ok now that we finally have a dedicated HTPC section, I’d like to know which HTPC cases people like. My personal favorite is the Silverstone CW01.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-cw01.htm

It is the only HTPC case I’ve found that lets you have 4 hard drives and still fit 2 full length graphics cards. And one of the very few that have full size 80mm fans front and back. I do wish they would hurry up and figure out that vents in the top do wonderful things for case temps though.

I recently found this case here that also looks pretty bad *** and will allow 4 drive raids along with full length video cards. At around $500 its not cheap though.

http://www.atechfabrication.com/products/atech_4000.htm

hyperasus said:
Ok now that we finally have a dedicated HTPC section, I’d like to know which HTPC cases people like. My personal favorite is the Silverstone CW01.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-cw01.htm

It is the only HTPC case I’ve found that lets you have 4 hard drives and still fit 2 full length graphics cards. And one of the very few that have full size 80mm fans front and back. I do wish they would hurry up and figure out that vents in the top do wonderful things for case temps though.
Does that extra inch (compared to the LC17 or LC20) really make that much difference? I was thinking less expensive cases for my first HTPC but if I wont be able to upgrade in a year or two maybe I'm better off spending more money now.

The extra inch doesn't matter so much as the layout of the case. The hard drives can slide all the way to the front of the case. Rather than having fans at the front of the case, the HDD fans are on the bottom of the case blowing directly up at the hard drives, thus making it possible to slide the hard drives all the way forward to make room for lengthy video cards. I've had both the LC20 and LC17. They are both great cases, especially if you want something a little cheaper. I think the all aluminum design and better HDD/Fan layout makes the CW01 worth the extra money.

hyperasus said:
The extra inch doesn't matter so much as the layout of the case. The hard drives can slide all the way to the front of the case. Rather than having fans at the front of the case, the HDD fans are on the bottom of the case blowing directly up at the hard drives, thus making it possible to slide the hard drives all the way forward to make room for lengthy video cards. I've had both the LC20 and LC17. They are both great cases, especially if you want something a little cheaper. I think the all aluminum design and better HDD/Fan layout makes the CW01 worth the extra money.
OK. That's makes sense. I have no objection to spending the money as long as I've got a real reason to do so (I've got 4 computers in Lian Li cases in my living room because I really like the quality of the cases as well as the way that they look), but I'm not interested in trying to keep up with the Joneses. But, I guess it's a good thing that I'm not looking to buy immediately. The only CW01-B cases I can find are the RaptorX version with a window; I'm not buying a RaptorX and I don't need (or want) the window :)

Any of you folks ever seen the Ahanix MCE701? It includes a 7" touch screen. I really like this case but i can't find it for sale anywhere. Directron used to ahve it, but is now shows discontinued.

Well, to be honest, I am planning on using a regular tower case. Doing that would put some emphasis on the PC part of HTPC and it provides different options for case art.

The basic idea will be to take a good black case such as the Chenming 901. Then I would add some details with gold leaf, load the front drive bays with DVD drive/sound card/fan controller/patch panel and replace all the knobs with gold knobs from somewhere like partsexpress.com or Newark Electronics. Add a custom windows. Some fans with gold fan guards and a blue CCFL and I think that it would look stellar.

Also, while not strictly HTPC based, another build that I am contemplating arises from the fact that I play bass and keyboard. There happens to be some software that I use at home and I would like to have a portable solution for it as well. For that build, I want to use a musicians 10U flight case. Of course it would be populated with my own stuff, not what is in the pic but you get the idea.

hyperasus said:

I love how the model unit in the picture has a nice zalman on the CPU - then blocked holes were there should be a couple of HIGH CFM 80mm fans. From what I understand those boxes can get really really warm sitting in someone’s entertainment center – or on a shelf in a back room. I would have the optional fans in place – almost common sense IMO.

Is there any of you that would actually use the touch screen? I thought about getting an LC18 awhile back but decided the touch screen would be fun for a minute then I'd never use it again. I'd rather not waste hard drive space on a touch screen I'm never going to use. Those stupid front displays never work worth a dang anyways. Every one I've had(ok both of them) looked great in the pictures, but were quite worthless and hard to use once I had them. Just getting them to do something as simple as display the song title from windows media player turned out to be a next to impossible task.

hyperasus said:
Is there any of you that would actually use the touch screen? I thought about getting an LC18 awhile back but decided the touch screen would be fun for a minute then I'd never use it again. I'd rather not waste hard drive space on a touch screen I'm never going to use. Those stupid front displays never work worth a dang anyways. Every one I've had(ok both of them) looked great in the pictures, but were quite worthless and hard to use once I had them. Just getting them to do something as simple as display the song title from windows media player turned out to be a next to impossible task.

You make a good point.....but they look so cool eh? I guess in the end you are most probably correct and I won't use it, or find it too difficult to use. Perhaps I will find a suitable case w/o the touch screen lcd.

Back