• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to apply lessons of my junk pile.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
digging through my junk pile and remembering my personal history, I seem to see that as a socket goes end of life I end up with processors and memory left over in my junk pile with no mother boards to plug them into.
right now I have mostly z370 and tr4 in my main use rigs and I see no reason to change, looking at this history, should I buy 2 or three new z370 and tr4 boards and put them on the shelf?
z370 is going end of life soon is what begs this question, amd has said that they will support the tr4 socket till 2020 I think and the performance from generation to generation is getting smaller.

What is it that you're trying to say again? I apologia Dad, I'm having difficulty figuring out what you're saying here. I feel like I can really help you, I.just need.to know what you need

due to 8th gen intel going end of life soon, is it time to order a spare motherboard?

Do you need it ? I mean, spare mobo so it just collect dust till you need it ? Better save some money and buy new HEDT stuff when it will be released... probably next year will be something new.
Since HEDT platforms have longer life (as you already said till 2020 will be TR4) then you will be able to buy a motherboard for next 2 years+. The same chipset and most components but maybe something will be improved. There is no point to collect hardware that won't be in use.
Personally I'm selling everything I'm not using. I'm spending on that way too much money but I'd rather buy something new than stick with "old" hardware which is only losing on value.

I'm still using old gear and it has worked out for me so far, however, even with spare parts, you can only stretch that out for so long. The benefits are not having to buy new RAM, I'm still using DDR3 that I bought for $65/16GB kit. Upgrade to highest level used CPU for x chipset for pennies on the dollar. Ready supply of used spares on the market as people sell off to buy new. With Skt 2011 v1 I've run out of room to grow so I'll have to bite the bullet before too long but it was a good and cheap ride while it lasted.

I liked my game rig the way it was, all z97 and stuff, I have grown to like my game rig now, all z370 and stuff.
my z97 kit lasted till late in the z370, a couple of generations and I would like to run this setup even longer, it's fun to build computers, just not your gaming rig........

it's fun to build computers
^This. That's why I have a bunch of AM3/3+ parts. Nowhere close to the collections you guys have, but good parts are relatively cheap and definitely plentiful. I like building things, and for a guy whose life was "Put piston in make vroom", building something like a computer is just neat, even gaming rigs. Especially gaming rigs. :D

I can't think of a single circumstance, short of a nuclear holocaust, that would make me even look at can of Spam and utter the falsehood-"food". LOL

Last edited:
Lets all hope that don't happen.:DThe nuclear gadgets flying I mean...not you having to eat spam

Back