• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Swiftech Pulls H220 From Market

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pretty sure Swiftech had a pump/block before Asetek and it has been on the market for a long time now. If the patent is applicable, I think it would necessarily have to apply to the whole system. Even so, the differences in internals are pretty distinct. I suppose the question is whether that is distinct enough. :shrug:

Well that's the thing. Water cooling isn't exactly new. Asetek just took tools and products that were already available and put them together. Pump and water block? Done previously. Rad and resevoir together? Done previously. Both by Swiftech. Connect those two together and prefill it with fluid ... and you get a patent for it?

On the flip side, if it IS for an all-in-one unit, Swiftech can just simply stop connecting them together and don't fill it with fluid. Bam, not all-in-one and still cheaper than the H20-x20 elite. :)

I like this idea. I do hope Swiftech comes up with a work-around for the issue. I don't like companies that manage to get patents on really obvious stuff and then try to use those patents to improve their market position.

Funny thing is they have their own branded QDCs at their disposal. :D Not a bad idea.

My other question would be if they worded it differently as not a AIO, would they than be ok?

Still can't believe this is happening. After the dust settles if I were Swiftech I'd get a lot of investors/supporters and throw down a huge lawsuit to cripple Asetek for defamation, emotional distress and all the other things that they possibly have used from Swiftech's innovations, that they had profited from.

Even prior art isn't a defense against corporate bullies. If they have deeper pockets, they will either win in court or bankrupt the competition and win either way. This has been going on for awhile now.

Hopefully the bullies don't start going after the individual components next.

It wasn't until very recently that corporations could patent the human genome and greatly hinder cancer research.

ugh one left in stock but $139 :(

Looks like the most I would be able to sell my phanteks for is $60 ish, I can't imagine it being worth double the cost.

The next few months on this subject should be interesting. Note that for now the subject of the patent issue resides in the U.S. market while other countries can enjoy Swifties. So - A: H220s become a black market item smuggled in country like many other products, or B: Swiftech decides to dis-integrate the pump from the block and create a new and substantially more robust AIO which is missing the 'A' or the 'O', or C: challenges the Asetek market with packaged or menu-style loops with very competitive pricing, or D: fill in the rest of the alphabet soup of ideas. Somehow I don't think Swiftech is simply going to roll over and give up a juicy market like the U.S.

Look for a rabbit out of the hat, somehow, some way. ;)

The next few months on this subject should be interesting. Note that for now the subject of the patent issue resides in the U.S. market while other countries can enjoy Swifties. So - A: H220s become a black market item smuggled in country like many other products, or B: Swiftech decides to dis-integrate the pump from the block and create a new and substantially more robust AIO which is missing the 'A' or the 'O', or C: challenges the Asetek market with packaged or menu-style loops with very competitive pricing, or D: fill in the rest of the alphabet soup of ideas. Somehow I don't think Swiftech is simply going to roll over and give up a juicy market like the U.S.

Look for a rabbit out of the hat, somehow, some way.

I doubt Swiftech would leave the US, one of the highest per capita disposable income countries in the world, along with many EU countries, Japan, etc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_per_capita_personal_income)

It is a hobby after all, and what else do people spend disposable income on -_- besides addictions.

I think they'll probably split it up or otherwise try and get around it.

On a related note: why did Scythe leave the US? Similar issues?

Someone tell Gabe to market these H220 as expandable kits and let the buyers assemble themselves. Just put in a few clips in the box plus a new instruction Manuel how to put it together. Then "Patent it as so job done", then Asetek can jump up and down what ever!!

Will try to grab one at the beginning of August. Otherwise, I'll get a Kraken X60 or one of those Tundra.

Someone tell Gabe to market these H220 as expandable kits and let the buyers assemble themselves. Just put in a few clips in the box plus a new instruction Manuel how to put it together. Then "Patent it as so job done", then Asetek can jump up and down what ever!!

The advantage of an AIO over a custom kit is that is already assembled, you can mount it in minutes (instead of hours) and you have to worry less about leaking. For $145 you can get a basic XPSC kit that is, IMHO, better.

What we are trying to do here is a worker round the Lawsuit, hence build it yourself idea. Otherwise no more H220 Units to be had is the USA!! Until they decide what to do.

What we are trying to do here is a worker round the Lawsuit, hence build it yourself idea. Otherwise no more H220 Units to be had is the USA!! Until they decide what to do.

I know, but the H220 would lose much of its appeal since it will be a DIY kit (like XPSC, Alphacool, etc..., but with bigger limitations) and not an AIO. Asetek knows this very well.

OK your point is recognized, but since i am in the UK anyone want to buy a H220!! Sorry everyone i just could not resist it. :p :D

Back