• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stalker 2: longest development time of any videogame in history?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

From wikipedia: "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 was announced in August 2010, with an initial release date scheduled for 2012." A release date that slipped by more than a DECADE!??? :D

I remember the original STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl took forever to be released (development started in 2001 and the game wasn't released 'til 2007) but STALKER 3 has this extended timeline beat by a country mile.

I met a woman who was a little girl living w/her grandma in the Zone of Exclusion during the Chernobyl reactor explosion. She was far enough away from the Chernobyl reactor that evacuation was voluntary so her grandma didn't evacuate. Her sister, who lived w/her and her grandma, died of cancer within a couple years after the Chernobyl reactor explosion and after this they finally moved out of the Zone of Exclusion. This Ukranian woman is a giant too -- she's 6' tall in flats!! Gotta wonder if the radiation had something to do w/it.

STALKER 2 will be 14 years AND counting this August if you count the announcement date (August, 2010) as the beginning of the development cycle. I'd forgotten all about Duke Nukem Forever though and 3DRealms as a matter of fact. I'm surprised 3DRealms is still around and publishing (developing?) new game titles:
https://3drealms.com/games/

The only title I've heard of on that list that has positive reviews is Ghostrunner.

STALKER 2 new teaser video w/a promised release date of Sept. 2024:

The video looked like it stuttered too, not sure if it was a network issue or the game engine.

When Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl was released way back in 2007(?) it needed a lot of patches B4 it was stable. I hope STALKER 2 isn't the same plague of bugs and perf. issues. I thought the best Stalker game was the last one: Call of Pripyat. I saw a video where some thrill seekers went to one of the shutdown reactors near the one which blew up (apparently there was more than one nuclear reactor at Chernobyl and the other ones continued operating even after the disaster), one of them stupidly fell into some highly radioactive water -- and there was no water source nearby where he could wash off the radioactive water.

starcraft:ghost, it was announced in 2002, demo at E3 2005, then indefinite hold. i think it is still on hold? is it the record at 22 years?

starcraft:ghost, it was announced in 2002, demo at E3 2005, then indefinite hold. i think it is still on hold? is it the record at 22 years?

Going by the wiki article, one dev said it was cancelled Said it was officially cancelled back in a 2014 interview.

It kept getting delayed until the next Gen of consoles came out and they didn't want to port it.

Starcraft: Ghost sounded like an interesting game idea. That's wild about the cancellation of the Starcraft:Ghost game by Blizzard after getting so far along in development, but I guess when you have World of Warcraft profits bankrolling you who cares if you lose a couple million dollars of development money? I seem to remember whoever owned the Command & Conquer IP tried a FPS that failed miserably. Could it be said that World of Warcraft has made more $$$ than any other videogame in history?

Starcraft: Ghost sounded like an interesting game idea. That's wild about the cancellation of the Starcraft:Ghost game by Blizzard after getting so far along in development, but I guess when you have World of Warcraft profits bankrolling you who cares if you lose a couple million dollars of development money? I seem to remember whoever owned the Command & Conquer IP tried a FPS that failed miserably. Could it be said that World of Warcraft has made more $$$ than any other videogame in history?

I think it depends on how you define it all. Single game or franchise?

I believe that WoW is right up there. From what I was reading, adjust for inflation space invaders and pacman are up there as well. And Dungeon Fighter Online too

And GTAV is just enormous in terms of money because of GTA:O

When STALKER came out it was the last time I used an AMD GPU. Blamed the GPU for my game play issues but it turned out be a sound driver issue. Only took 2 or 3 months to figure it out. :unsure: :mad:By then I was back on Nvidia.

That game was hard. You rushed too much and the next thing you knew you were in over your head. Gun play was great.

I only had the AMD as they were first to run f@h.

Back