• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Solved] Windows 10 problems with PS2 keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They could always trade space for legacy drivers. Say, drop Cortana, all the code that forces updates and telemetry, little stuff like that. LOL

M$ is making Windows as simple and low maintenance as possible-for themselves-because that's not where they're looking as their primary revenue stream anymore. It's their software, they can do as they like with it. In fact, they have never sold an operating system, they're all leased for the one time fee, incorrectly viewed as a "purchase" by most. My only gripe with W10 was the efforts to shove it up my a** whether I wanted it or not. I don't like it and don't use it, and I have specific hardware needs that preclude my using W8/8.1/10, so my choice. I'll likely move my gaming to a W10 install at some point, but that's all it will be used for.

They could always trade space for legacy drivers. Say, drop Cortana, all the code that forces updates and telemetry, little stuff like that. LOL
LOL is right.

First you complain because they want to drop legacy drivers, then you suggest they drop legacy drivers to make space for other legacy drivers. :screwy:

Telemetry is not an issue except for tinfoil hat wearers. Your ISP, Google, Facebook (big time!) and your cell phone carrier (really big time!) are much greater threats to your privacy and security than Microsoft - by a long shot.

As for Cortana, I agree with you on that. But I don't like anything that wants to listen to me so you won't find Siri or Alexa in my home either. But sadly, many like (and some need) such voice recognition features so that is here to stay.
M$ is making Windows as simple and low maintenance as possible-for themselves
Well of course! That's just good, common sense business. But it also means a more stable, more secure, better performing OS for us too.

they have never sold an operating system, they're all leased for the one time fee
Well that's not and never has been true. You are right in that they don't sell OSs. But they do sell a license to use it. That is not leasing. And for the record, that's how all software works.

My only gripe with W10 was the efforts to shove it up my a** whether I wanted it or not.
I agree. But that ill-conceived, mis-managed, and generally objectionable policy was a marketing and executive policy from weenies that generally don't know what they are doing, or are so arrogant, they just assume what they want is what every customer wants! I hate that about MS too. If you go back in time, their biggest blunders where cause by bad marketing decisions. These include pushing Edge out way before it is anything close to a finished product. Jamming the W8 Metro UI on users without any option to have the W7 start menu and desktop. That, btw, was totally a marketing thing - to entice users into buying Windows Phone with the same Metro UI.

But that should not detract from what the developers do at Microsoft. They are some of the best in the world and really do care about the products they put out.

I meant make space for legacy drivers by dropping the other things. Yes, telemetry is an issue for some. And W10 being more stable isn't entirely accurate. That OS takes a dump in large numbers every time there is a forced major update. Pretty common issue. My W7 install hasn't given me issues (that I didn't cause) in years. Same with my girlfriend's W8.1 install. Windows 10 is notorious for screwing things up with "updates" no one asked for. Like this thread started out with.
Hey, mods. See how I got back OT there? I'm trying to behave. LOL

I no longer fault MS for the basics or execution of W10, I just won't use it for anything important.

Microsoft? Why once again blame MS? Is this a Microsoft branded PS/2 mouse? If not, then once again, it is critical to remember it is the hardware makers job to ensure compatible drivers are available. No operating system should be expected to provide native support for every "unique" device ever made. Windows 10 is already a bloated 30 million+ lines-of-code long!

And again, some PS/2 devices do work with W10, so Microsoft did not drop PS/2 support.

Why don't hardware makers spend the resources to develop and make available drivers for new operating systems for all their legacy, obsolete, and superseded hardware? Simple: There's no money in it. In fact, it's a money pit! They would much rather we buy one of their new products where they stand to make some profit.

Then sorry, but that is a misguided concept. Again, it is hardware maker's responsibility to ensure compatibility. That includes chipset makers, BTW. And for the record, I feel your pain!

I wish my trusty old (slow but still trusty) HP Laser Jet was still supported, but motherboard makers stopped supporting LPT/Centronics/parallel printer ports years ago - not to mention HP no loners sells the toner cartridges? Is that Microsoft's fault too? :rolleyes: I have a great old joy stick but motherboards have not included 9-pin serial ports in years either. Want to talk about SCSI hard drives? What about EIDE (PATA)? AGP? PCMCIA (for my old notebook)?

So why should Microsoft be expected to add more bloat to Windows for such obsolete legacy hardware? Especially when motherboard and computer makers don't even include them anymore?

I'll give you one thing, Bill. No one will ever accuse you of mincing words. Just state your point. No need to hammer on people's understanding or their opinions, even when you are convinced they are in error.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2274
001.jpg
~$4

What would be nice is a huge box with multiple mobo's AND all the ports and connections, incl. peripherals like modem's and whatnot, one could ask for stuffed inside. Preferably solar powered with gps lol.

I've used those adapters with mixed success. The "active" ones often work but those without the active chips that are just splitters usually don't.

Alaric said:
And W10 being more stable isn't entirely accurate. That OS takes a dump in large numbers every time there is a forced major update. Pretty common issue.
:( Is it rock solid stable for every one of the 700 million W10 users out there? Of course not. But it is the most stable Windows OS to date for "most" users.

"Pretty common issue" is deceiving. Yes, some, even many have problems. But the fact is, the vast majority of us have never had any WU issues - ever! The problem is, even if just .1% of users have problems, that is unacceptable even though a 99.9% success rate would be considered outstanding in just about any industry. But .1% of 700 million is still 700,000 upset users. That's a BIG number! And 700,000 upset users can make a lot of noise, especially when that noise is constantly being amplified and echoed by MS bashers and many in the IT press. But the "facts" don't even support that many people are having problems. It is just that we in the trenches see the problems so it seems bigger than it really is.

I like to equate it to the Toyota mechanic. He sees nothing but broken down Toyota cars all day. Does the mean Toyota makes lousy, unreliable cars?

trents said:
No need to hammer on people's understanding or their opinions
Call it hammering if you want. But when someone keeps saying 3rd party hardware drivers are the responsibility of Microsoft and not that hardware's maker, something needs repeating! If you feel that is "hammering", then fine. You are entitled to that "opinion". I call it making sure the readers have the "facts".

And that's the point - this is not about opinions, its about the facts, and acceptance of those facts. Sorry if my manner of speaking offends you. You certainly are entitled to your opinion but no one, including me, is entitled to mis-state the facts just because our opinions (or understandings) makes us believe the facts are not real (or should not be true).

Alaric said:
I meant make space for legacy drivers by dropping the other things.
:( I will "hammer" it one more time. While I understand it is your opinion Windows should natively support all legacy hardware, but those just are not the facts. It would just be an impossible data base to maintain. So it is the hardware makers responsibility to make available W10 drivers for their hardware. That is NOT my opinion. That is just a fact. The only drivers Microsoft needs to include in Windows are "basic" drivers needed to boot motherboards through "POST" before any specialized drivers are loaded. These basic drivers are also needed to run Windows in Safe Mode for troubleshooting. And they are needed to install Windows. Beyond that, drivers for any other peripherals and extra or advanced hardware features get loaded once POST has completed successfully and the boot drive is hit, and manufacturer supplied drivers are loaded.

Again, fact. Not opinion.

As far as dropping other things - not sure what those other things would be (besides Cortana). Calculator? Snipping Tool? Remote Desktop? Edge? IE? Some of those things can go (IMO) but I use the calculator and snipping tool a lot so I don't want them taken out. And many techs and IT people use Remote Desktop. I guess IE can go but Edge still needs a lot more refinement. My point being, who's to decide what stays and what goes? This is the same point for drivers? Who would decide which unique hardware driver to put in W10? The hardware maker who pays MS the most to put theirs in there? :screwy:

MS has pulled updates because they break things universally, but your percentage point is valid.

The whole thing wouldn't be much of an issue had they not gone to great effort to wrest as much update control as possible from the end user. Forcing driver updates that replace working drivers with kludges that break things. Microsoft created their own little slice of PR Hell with W10, hot on the heels of that epic fail known as Windows 8. It's going to be a while before those fiascos fade from the public's memory, and the internet is forever. LOL

As far as dropping other things - not sure what those other things would be (besides Cortana). Calculator? Snipping Tool? Remote Desktop? Edge? IE? Some of those things can go (IMO) but I use the calculator and snipping tool a lot so I don't want them taken out. And many techs and IT people use Remote Desktop. I guess IE can go but Edge still needs a lot more refinement. My point being, who's to decide what stays and what goes? This is the same point for drivers? Who would decide which unique hardware driver to put in W10? The hardware maker who pays MS the most to put theirs in there?

My comment about leaving things out was tongue in cheek. Microsoft has never been shy about adding millions lines of code to an OS.

I suspect there are several things going on with the breaks caused by MS Windows 10 updates.

One is, as has been mentioned, the effort to cut down on code bloat by eliminating drivers for older hardware components that are falling out of extensive use.

Another is that some of the changes made to the OS over time simply render older hardware (in some cases) incompatible with the evolving OS.

Finally, some of the breaks are simply the result of sloppy coding or failure to adequately vet the updates.

And as I have said before, as much as we like to complain, we must admit managing all of this in a cost effective way must be challenging for a software company developing and maintaining an OS that works right on a billion different hardware combos.

Apple has reduced this problem by tightly controlling the hardware their OS runs on but that is also frustrating to the end user who is not content with the limited choices Apple gives.

MS has pulled updates because they break things universally, but your percentage point is valid.
MS has indeed pulled updates because they broke things - but it was never anywhere near "universally". I have 6 W10 systems here and dozens more that I am responsible for and we have never - not once! - had a Windows Update that broke a system beyond what a simple reboot didn't correct. That may be anecdotal but I believe still illustrates my point.

trents said:
Finally, some of the breaks are simply the result of sloppy coding or failure to adequately vet the updates.

we must admit managing all of this in a cost effective way must be challenging for a software company developing and maintaining an OS that works right on a billion different hardware combos.
Not sure about the sloppy coding but for sure, there are too many cases of inadequate testing. But as you suggest, I don't know how they could do much better, at least with updates that patch time-sensitive security issues. MS can push the updates out to all 93,000 employees for testing first, but 93,000 is still a drop in the bucket when it comes to testing all configuration scenarios.

Truly, I think Microsoft's biggest problem is the IT press who love to sensationalize and exaggerate problems just to get attention to themselves. All this does is cause panic and misunderstanding. Look at the Intel bugs of late. The press reports would have everyone believing every Intel processor everywhere was going to get infected. Yes, the vulnerabilities were real, but it would take extreme measures and unique scenarios by a bad guy to be able to exploit them. This is why to date, there is not one report of any computer anywhere being infected by malware designed to exploit Intel CPU flaws. :(

I am NOT suggesting the MS bugs are not real, nor am I trying to downplay their significance. They are real and some are critically serious. I just think many in the IT Press, bloggers, and MS haters blow it out of proportion - and as we all know, "If read on the Internet, it must be true!" :rolleyes:

Bill, are you serious when you say you have never had an Microsoft update break a system beyond what a simple reboot couldn't fix? You mean you've never had Windows 10 kick out a working driver and substitute one that didn't work? I've run into that scenario many times in the lifespan of Windows 10 and let me tell you, a simple reboot never fixed any of them.

He's also generally been working with clones (same/similar systems in a company/enterprise enviro) over his illustrious career. So I can believe it's either an all or nothing thing. And since clones are typically Dells, HP, etc... makes sense these mostly work since they are mostly canned machines. That said, we've lost dozens of machines at a time due to patches we had to roll back in an enterprise environment. YMMV.

They also pulled back a full update from public once and released it again (iirc) as it was deleting files on machines without permission which didnt have enough space. MS has pulled back multiple patches and updates over the years for various reasons involving negative results. They have 'universally' pulled these things regardless if every single PC is affected or not.

MS cant do much better, I agree... it's just too many users and configs. If they pull an update after users universally have the problem, THAT is a problem. I prefer they continue to do what they do, personally.

That said, this is drifting off topic (ps/2 w10)... so let's get the train on the right tracks before it completely derails into something negative. :)

Last edited:
Since, trents is the OP...
Bill, are you serious when you say you have never had an Microsoft update break a system beyond what a simple reboot couldn't fix?
I am absolutely serious. For sure, I am talking about "my" personal machines and those "client systems I am responsible for".

Have I seen computers "bricked" (that is, would not even boot) after updates where a simple reboot did not fix? Yes! Absolutely! I am not and would not deny that, or try to BS you, trents. We've had too many "customer" (not client) computers come into the shop that were bricked. What I said was "my" computers and those "I am responsible for" never had problems that severe.

And why is that? At least 3 reasons (I believe). First, with just a few exceptions, all the computers were built with modern components designed for W10 and had W10 installed on them from day 1. The rest were "late model" W7 (and a couple W8.1) systems that were upgraded to W10. The oldest, IIRC, is my own 10 year old Toshiba notebook, which came with W7 and later updated to W10.

By "late model", I mean hardware made specifically for W7. "Early model" W7 systems often were designed for Vista or even XP era hardware and while we did not track and chart specifics, I feel safe to say it was the early model W7 systems that were upgraded to W10 that had the most problems with W10 WU. I note some did not use W10-specific drivers and none were made available.

And second (and this is likely a primary reason), very little "dinking" with the default settings was done on any of these (mine and client) machines. That is, for example, all page files are managed by Windows. Indexing is left enabled. They all use Windows Defender and Windows Firewall (and none have been infected either!!!! :)). Most do, however, have Malwarebytes Free or Premium as secondary scanners installed. Windows Update is set at the default settings.

And third, all are maintained with an adequate amount of free disk space on the boot drive (I believe this is very important too!).

Users, of course, can (and do - because they are not clones! :() personalize their computers as much as Windows will allow and several (including me on 2 of my systems) use Start10 or ClassicShell. A few, including me do some minor overclocking, but only via presets as provided by their motherboard's own OC utilities.

None of these systems (except my Toshiba), are early model W7, Vista, or XP systems that were upgraded to W10. That, IMO, is significant based on what we have seen come into the shop. That is, the older the hardware, the greater chance of problems and IMO, that is due to poor driver support by the hardware makers.

EarthDog said:
He's also generally been working with clones (same/similar systems in a company/enterprise enviro) over his illustrious career.
:facepalm: Gee whiz, ED. You know absolutely nothing about my personal machines other than, maybe, the one I listed at TPU. Now you are going to assume you know all about my systems and the ones I'm responsible for? :screwy:

FTR, none of my 6 personal systems are clones. Five are custom built PCs. Four use Gigabyte mobos (though all are different models), one is a Toshiba notebook, and the 6th is an ITX ASUS. None were setup with the same image/clone disk.

For my client systems, my largest client is a small real estate office with 9 machines with a mix of custom built PCs, Dell PCs, and Acer notebooks. This is similar to my other clients with their SOHO setups where there are as few as 1 computer up to 6. Some are private people with their home computer(s), some are small businesses, one is a church office, and another is a non-profit. There is a mix of Intel and AMD systems, some with graphics cards, some using integrated. Some connect via Ethernet, some wifi. Some Windows 10 Pro. Some Home.

While a few may have started out when first assembled with a common image, they quickly became unique systems once handed over to the client.

I retired from supporting large scale company/corporate environments way back in 2004 (long before W10, W8.x or even W7!), as seen via the link in my sig.

So please - stop telling others falsehoods about me. You don't know me personally and have no clue [at all] about what I have or what I do. Frankly, that's just not cool and something I might expect to see at TPU, but not here. :(

That said, we've lost dozens of machines at a time due to patches we had to roll back in an enterprise environment. YMMV.

They also pulled back a full update from public once and released it again (iirc) as it was deleting files on machines without permission which didnt have enough space. MS has pulled back multiple patches and updates over the years for various reasons involving negative results. They have 'universally' pulled these things regardless if every single PC is affected or not.
Let's clarify a couple things. Dozens of machines in an enterprise environment likely were clones (perhaps, even, with identical hardware) or at least have very common configurations.

You can't "roll back" a "bricked" machine.

And yes, Microsoft has pulled several Updates because they caused problems for "a few" (relatively speaking) users clearly indicating more intensive and extensive beta testing should have been done before release. But again, there is just no way even a company as large as Microsoft, can conceive of or test every configuration in every possible scenario. For the big updates, they try with the Insider program where they have enlisted millions of volunteer users to try out new updates and features before general release. But even then, that is a limited field of scenarios.
If they pull an update after users universally have the problem, THAT is a problem.
I totally agree. But "universally" suggests every user everywhere and that, of course, has never happened or even come close to happening - despite what some bloggers, some in the IT press, and some MS haters would like us to believe.

Speaking of the Windows Insider program - Microsoft did indeed fail miserably with that file deleting fiasco because the problem was identified and reported by several Insiders BEFORE the update was released to the general public. But once again, the marketing weenies and upper management put their grubby little fingers in there and pushed out the update against the recommendation of the developers! The developers wanted to delay the release but were overruled just so a stupid deadline could be met. Those weenies were too worried about the bad press they surely would have received [fair or not] had they missed the deadline. But the end result was much worse press - and worse, upset customers!

IMO, some heads should have rolled on that one. Still, MS acknowledged their blunder and promised to do better - and so far they have. But in reality, only time will tell. They cannot be perfect 100% of the time. But they can strive to get there and listening to their developers and beta testers/Insiders is (if they truly are) a good start.

This (With new feature update calendar, Microsoft finally settles on a sensible Windows 10 release schedule) may be a sign they are serious. Let's just hope this is not more marketing hype/hogwash.

So please - stop telling others falsehoods about me. You don't know me personally and have no clue [at all] about what I have or what I do. Frankly, that's just not cool
Sorry bill, that wasn't false. You seem to have supported enterprise rigs for quite a while as a career in the armed service you were a part of (and ty). The other accomplishments didn't have anything to do with my point (but lord knows you like to slip it in when you can!). I get you have other non enterprise experiences but if 93 machines are anecdotal....:)

Nobody said the systems were bricked. Just there was a problem that required rolling back and removing the patch which caused issues.

There is never an end unless you end it. So, reply and be done with it. I am. :)

I think the tech industry should resurrect the PS2 connection. I like the pretty green and purple colors and they helped a lot of my customers know where to plug mice and keyboards in. They just can't seem to understand that USB ports are not dedicated to particular devices no matter how many times I tell them. I think like, "What part of universal don't you understand?"

There, maybe that will put us back on track with the original topic of PS2 and Windows 10 compatibility.

PS2 is still relevant. Lower income people, people who aren't tech savvy (or even literate) running XP, Vista, early W7, can plug in their 12 year old Dell keyboard (Those freakin' tanks never die) and be talked through a reinstall by a kindly friend or family member. People overclocking old hardware on an older OS can use them to navigate when a failed OC borks the USB ports, too. I picked up a $7 Logitech PS2 mouse for exactly that reason-super cheap and works no matter what up to the BIOS being bricked. Keeping PS2 support in W10 is pretty minor compared to the garbage they've already packed that virus with.

trents said:
I think the tech industry should resurrect the PS2 connection. I like the pretty green and purple colors and they helped a lot of my customers know where to plug mice and keyboards in.

There, maybe that will put us back on track with the original topic of PS2 and Windows 10 compatibility.
Thanks for that! :)

Yeah I have elderly clients and customers who have wondered where to connect USB keyboards and mice. That said, if they would only "RTFM", they would learn. Oh well.

My problem with USB is that it just isn't as stable or reliable as the USB-IF wants everyone to believe. I don't know if it is due to the USB port and connector makers, motherboard makers or USB device makers failing to closely adhere to the published standards, or if it is a failure of USB driver developers failing to make sure there are no bugs. But even in this day and age, it is not uncommon for USB devices to suddenly lose connection for whatever reason. Typically a simple reboot brings it back, or changing to a different USB pair may work. But still, the disconnect should never have occurred in the first place, IMO. And FTR, I don't believe it is a OS problem (either Windows or Linux) because some USB devices seem to never lose connection. So communications with the USB protocol from the OS side of things seems to consistently work.

In any case, I don't recall ever losing connection with a PS/2 keyboard or mouse - which is nice too since PS/2 is not plug and play.

While two (purple and blue) PS/2 ports would be nice on all motherboards (at least µATX and larger), I would settle on one combo port for a keyboard because at least you can navigate through a BIOS setup menu with a keyboard only. I can't imagine it would cost more than $1/board to add the ports and the code to support them.

Another problem for me is I like wireless keyboards and mice for my own computers as my feet seem to love getting tangled up in cables. But options for wireless PS/2 keyboards and mice are very limited. :(

That said, if user demand for PS/2 devices continues to decline, motherboard makers will have no incentive to support them.

Alaric said:
PS2 is still relevant. Lower income people...
:confused: Not sure what lower income people have to do with this. Both USB and PS/2 keyboards and mice come in a wide variety of price ranges. How about a $2 USB 800DPI RGB mouse with scroll wheel for those on a tight budget?

Despite what some think of the messenger, the message is accurate, relevant, and interesting: Is PS/2 or USB Better for Keyboards and Mice?

I was referring to people who already own PS2 peripherals. I guess the OS references didn't give that away. My neighborhood is full of people who can't afford a $2 mouse, but a $.50 PS2 mouse from Goodwill is doable, folks who wouldn't have a computer unless some kind soul gave them one and shared wifi bandwidth with them. That's what lower income people had to do with it. Donated gear, old, dead rigs salvaged for usable parts.

My neighborhood is full of people who can't afford a $2 mouse, but a $.50 PS2 mouse from Goodwill is doable
Okay, but I suspect that same Goodwill store would have a few 50¢ USB mice on the shelves too and it would be highly unlikely those computers didn't have USB ports.

folks who wouldn't have a computer unless some kind soul gave them one and shared wifi bandwidth with them. That's what lower income people had to do with it. Donated gear, old, dead rigs salvaged for usable parts.
I certainly understand this. For years I would cannibalize parts from old computers to build working computers, then donated them to a local church to give to needy families with school kids. Sadly, I had to stop doing this because it got so the church couldn't even give them away unless they could run modern Windows, modern Office suites, and meet certain security requirements - which many of these older computers couldn't. Plus, it seems even the poor around here have smart phones and often notebooks too. And/or they can get a refurbished W10 notebook from Walmart for less $160. For those who could not afford even those, it became worth it for the church to just pay for one of those. In fact, they can negotiate with Walmart to get even cheaper prices.

So I still collect old computers and parts. I just take them to the electronics recycling center near here as they remove the precious metals, hazardous materials, recyclable aluminum and steel, and properly dispose of the rest in environmentally friendly ways. :) This keeps all this junk out of landfills (and my storage room).

Back