• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate Barracuda IV quiet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joemix

Registered
To those that have had their Barracuda IV/fluid bearings for a while;

How is the noise level after break-in? I know almost all HDDs I've owned are quiet at first, and become loud after break-in. I need silent drive operation.. do I need an acoustic HDD enclosure? thanx

Thanks for the replies. Looking at the Seagate web site, the 5400 rpm drives have faster seek times than the Barracuda IV. I guess this is the sacrafice for quieter performance?

Joe, I've installed at least four BIV's recently, and one Maxtor FDB drive, and w/o a doubt the Seagates are quieter. I've had a 40GB drive in my recently retired main box for three months now and it's as quiet as the day I installed it. I'm amazed by the literal silence of these drives. Only fly in the ointment w/ BIV's is RAID performance.

to all the BIV users, is it a good idea to get a hdd cooler for the drive? or is it just a waste of money that will create more noise?

evilhom3r, IMO HD coolers aren't necessary w/ the BIV. I put one in nevertheless as it aids in airflow through the case, and eliminates increased case temps from the HD. The HD coolers I use are fairly quiet. They're available any number of places, including Newegg and 2CoolTek.

I ordered the Seagate. May not be the fastest but the low noise level is more of a priority to me. I'm not going to use RAID with this one anyway, simply because the extra drive will add more noise/heat. Though it'd be nice to know that RAID was an option. Who knows, maybe Seagate will realease a firmware fix in the future.. Thanks again for the replies.

joemix, you won't be disappointed w/ the Barracuda IV. I still find it uncanny the total lack of noise from this drive.

Back