• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe temp for lappys?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLOBBY

I was wondering whats a good temperature idle range for a laptop is. I have a dell 8600 inspiron centrino laptop. And also whats the highest it should hit?

There is not much you can do with a laptop with regards to temps. If there is a socket type CPU, maybe AS5 should help a bit (Assuming HS, if any, attached with thermal paste).

Did you try opening it up and checking if the CPU was soldered on board or if its a socket type? I have never seen the inside of a laptop so some pics would be nice. I wonder what kind of HSF is in use?

As for case mods....there is simply no room!

Mine's typically at 60C full load and vcore is reported at 2.05v? I don't exactly trust the sensors on it. XP 1600+ @ 1575

Arkaine23 said:
Mine's typically at 60C full load and vcore is reported at 2.05v? I don't exactly trust the sensors on it. XP 1600+ @ 1575

Id sure hope that the voltage is not 2.05v. As those chips in dekstop form where rated at 1.75. I would think that one in a laptop would be slightly undervolted.

As far as laptop temps go, it doesn't make a huge difference what they are. The machines were designed with a certian CPU in mind, and the cooling was based on a speciifc load. If a laptop over heats its either due too poor cooling (bad design) or some other freak occurance.

I don't know hot hot my P3 got, but, it was never burning, and I never once had it lock up/crash do to the heat. it folded 24/7. Somestimes with the fans covered up, if I forgot, and left it on the couch, but it was ok, even with no air moving around.

Mine overheats...gotta take it back to bestbuy, good thing i bought 2years warrenty.

I put it on full cpu, full fan and full light and it overheats
thats just lmao

It sounds like a lawnmower at medium cpu, medium fan and medium light...
=/

One day, I had leaned one of my IBM T20s on it's side, while it was running. I usually do this, but this time I had it on the wrong side, and the HS exhaust was (trying to) blowing into the carpet. It never shut down, just kept slowing down.

I was running a monitoring program at the time, and I had it charted just slowing down more and more.

Now, when I leave it folding on it's side, I make SURE the exhaust is pointing up!

steve

Oh alright thanks a lot, Mine will idle (when not in use at all) around 28-30 degrees, and i have the fan turn on at 55 degrees and it turns off at 45. Im not going to open this laptop unless i need to right now. Just for saftey. If i do ill be sure to take some pics. I wasnt really worried about temps, i just didnt know what a good temp was for it.

Thats all i really needed to know, so thanks a lot, again.

Mine generally run at 70/85 degrees C. HOT!! They go almost to 85 degrees, before the fan comes on, and will fall back to 75 or so.

They all have run about the same temps, when they are Folding at 100%, so I'm not going to worry about it. Besides, the thermal throttling is working on these, for some reason.

steve

skou said:
Mine generally run at 70/85 degrees C. HOT!! They go almost to 85 degrees, before the fan comes on, and will fall back to 75 or so.

They all have run about the same temps, when they are Folding at 100%, so I'm not going to worry about it. Besides, the thermal throttling is working on these, for some reason.

steve

I see. Yea i found this program and it lets me adjust when the fan turns on and i set it to 55 degrees C and turn off at 45. It actually cools down relatively(sp) quickly.

PLOBBY said:
I see. Yea i found this program and it lets me adjust when the fan turns on and i set it to 55 degrees C and turn off at 45. It actually cools down relatively(sp) quickly.

What's the program??

steve

skou said:
What's the program??

steve

Its called fan control v. 2.2.0 and I just searched on google for a dell inspiron 8600 program and thast one of them that came up. Since speedfan and mbm5 dont support it, well speedfan does but it couldnt read the cpu temp.

Laptops are normally pretty well designed thermally. I have done torture testing with a laptop running Toast with the lid closed(locked in always on) inside a zipped up carrying case. Temps were very warm but no failures occurred. This testing was with P4M and Banias chassis. I would not recommend trying this with a laptop running a desktop CPU or possibly the AMD chips, as I am not familiar with their thermal management guidelines.

I see, i probably wouldnt try that either. I think im safe now though

My XP-M 2600+ runs at 67-70° full load. I found a service manual online and they use thermal pads. Ugh. I will probably use Ceramique in there once my warranty is over in like 2 months. Seems to help, according to some of the laptop articles on OC frontpage.

moz_21 said:
My XP-M 2600+ runs at 67-70° full load. I found a service manual online and they use thermal pads. Ugh. I will probably use Ceramique in there once my warranty is over in like 2 months. Seems to help, according to some of the laptop articles on OC frontpage.

Yea i just got the simple 1 year warrenty. Ill probably do the same in a year or so.

Back