• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 7 1700X Vcore issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trickson69

I have noticed one thing about my Ryzen 7 1700x that is not showing up on the Ryzen 3 1300X and that is the 1700x needs a full 1.45 vCore for 4.0GHz but that is not really the issue, The issue is this, When under full load the Vcore actually drops down to 1.369 if the Vcore is set to 1.44 in the bios just under the "red" line. then the Vcore under full load drops to 1.361 once it hit's that the system crashes black screen and all. a simple reboot and voltage increase to 1.45 fixes the issue. But when the CPU is not at full load it is getting the full 1.45 volts I am not concerned about it at all, I do however hate the Vdrop and have no way to really stop it. (or I have not figured that out yet)
SO far this is what I have going on.
screen1.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

So yeah some big drops in Vcore but only stable @4.0GHz if the Vcore is set to 1.45.
Oh yeah and look at that AWESOME RAM!! Running at it's rated speed (just a tad over). SO cool!

So any thoughts on that CPU voltage?

Yeah what is that and where can I find it and what is MAX?
I do not see that in my bios. Or I am missing it.

Simple. Vdroop.

Enable LoadLine Calibration in the bios. Should be in the vrm or power part of the bios.

Your goal should be to set it so there isnt any droop, not just brute force it to max. Once you find which setting does that, then adjust vcore down as needed.

Its possible that budget board may not have the option. You have a lot of droop as the vrm isnt one of the better ones around.

Simple. Vdroop.

Enable LoadLine Calibration in the bios. Should be in the vrm or power part of the bios.

Your goal should be to set it so there isnt any droop, not just brute force it to max. Once you find which setting does that, then adjust vcore down as needed.

Its possible that budget board may not have the option. You have a lot of droop as the vrm isn't one of the better ones around.
Okay I found it! No this is NOT a cheep *** MB!
I am going to list all the voltage settings I found in the bios under something called digiALL Power.

CPU loadline Calibration the settings are Auto , Mode 1 through 8 .

CPU NB Loadline calibration settings are Auto, Mode 1 through 8.

CPU over volt protection = Auto , 375mV, 425mV , 475mV.

CPU Undervolt Protection = Auto , -475mV, -525 mV, - 575 mV.

CPU over current protection = Auto, Enhanced.

CPU NB/Soc over volt Protection = Auto, 375mV, 425mV, 475mV.

CPU NB/SOC Under current protection = Auto, Enhanced.

CPU NB/SOC over current protection = Auto, Enhanced.

VR 12VIN OCP Expanded = Auto, Enhanced.

Okay here are the settings everything is set to Auto at this time in the bios. What should I do now?
Thank you.

As was said, cpu loadline calibration. Which setting you'll have to figure out.

Remember the goal is to have your load voltage the same as you set in the bios.

LOL so it is a guessing game then from one mode to the other. Great. LOL.
Nothing like adding fun to it MSI!

Its guessing game as to which setting on every board.

No NO I get it I was just being sarcastic. But it will be fun to test each one. What about the other settings? Like the enhanced VS Auto settings? Any way that might help get more overclocking or stability?

Well for what it's worth that seemed to work and not at the same time.
I went from Mode 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 then hit mode 5 and system crashed same with 6 not with 7 or 8.
The vdrop is the same in all modes for what it's worth. In other words once set to 1.45 Vcore the drop was to 1.396 1.375 and it would fluctuate if it went lower than 1.375 system crashes.
I can not believe the amount of Vdop there is this is a really solid MB to. amazing, but I have it stable the voltage is still set at 1.45vCore! oh well what is the worst that can happen? I get a new R9 3900X! if this fry's out. LOL.

It's not a solid vrm.. I'm not surprised in the least you are seeing this behavior.

Again, the point is to set it so there isnt any droop (two O's, not one). Once you do that, then tweak vcore so it works.

It's not a solid vrm.. I'm not surprised in the least you are seeing this behavior.

Again, the point is to set it so there isnt any droop (two O's, not one). Once you do that, then tweak vcore so it works.

I have tried every setting once I use mode 5 the system is totally unstable.
The Vdrop is significant as you stated and is not changing at all with the mode set at any of the others setting just "stabler" The wild voltage drop is still there. Just a POS MB. Thinking of going back to ASUS they really make solid MB VRM's.
Any how it is what it is and I am happy to have managed a stable 4.0Ghz with ram at 3030Mhz! that was hard to get stable but I got it! I tried 3200 but it was not liking that.
So at least my sig is right and I aint no lair lol.

I'd set 7 or 8.

7 should keep v-core setting stable at desired.
8 should bump v-core over your setting a little bit. (then adjust v-core lower as needed if needed.)

The board isn't really a POS. You'll have this issue even with Asus boards too, however the Asus boards seem to have better quality components in general.

I can't run 3000Mhz even with my 2700X on an Asus B450 board. the IMC is very super picky at higher speeds.
Did find a sweet spot however, running 1366 effective 14-13-13-13-46-64 1T 1.35v. Trouble for me at 1400 and up which stinks, I blame the B450 board for it lol.

Tweak and test, tweak and test. It's how we all do it ;)

I just realized the board I was talking about is the B350 one! :rofl: That said, the X470 isn't much better. It is again 4 phase for the CPU. Anyhoo...

Like we said, you need to dial it in. The goal is to eliminate the droop. Once you find that setting, then adjust voltage accordingly. Where you were stable before after vdroop, you should be able to reach again without it. That voltage typically doesn't vary by much.

Back