• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX 4060 line all PCIe 4.0 x8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Saw that. It wouldn't really affect much considering even a 4090 only loses a couple of % moving down to 4.0 x8/3.0 x16 soooo... it's notable but much ado about nothing. I don't imagine there to be more than a negligible (read: non-existent) glass ceiling.

I'm more interested in their price points than the interface ($450 for the ti...$400 for the 4060?). :)

Last edited:
It's only surprising because AMD has been going more in the x8 direction while nVidia has been hanging with x16 even for some really low end GPUs like the GTX 1650. And I get that x8 on PCIe 4.0 is fine while on PCIe 3.0 there is a performance hit. AMD already has a marketing advantage by providing more memory on many models so nVidia is giving up its x16 marketing advantage.

The 115W RTX 4060 8GB for $400 could be a hot seller for them especially for pre-built upgrades without PSU concerns.

But being only x8 will hurt with older PCIe 3 systems.

Last edited:
I'm already looking forward to the comments on another forum if the 16GB version happens.

It looks like Nvidia is pushing sales of higher chips with 12/16GB delaying everything lower. They may release 16GB version of the RTX4060, but probably not earlier than in 8-12 months (if there will be a market demand for that).
AMD is pushing 16GB or more in most cards and Nvidia is releasing 8GB versions of not really slow cards. It's a bit weird considering that memory prices went down significantly so they could use the double capacity chips like in the 4060Ti 16GB.
We have again a situation when a higher GPU like RTX4070 has less memory than a lower one like RTX4060Ti. The same as it was with RTX3060Ti/4070 8GB and RTX3060 12GB. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 16GB version of the 4060, but I wouldn't expect it soon. There is probably a large stock of 8GB version already that has to go.

Btw. RTX4070 FE is great, a quite small card, but it runs quietly, and you can feel the high quality. The performance is about as high as that of RX6800XT but at significantly lower wattage and heat.

The opinions of shouty people on another forum don't necessarily make the majority view, but with the ongoing list of technically poor AAA PC releases this year the question of how much VRAM is enough is being hyper focused on now. For high end gaming, whatever that means, it does feel like 8GB is moving down to entry level. IMO I don't feel 12GB would be lacking for the next couple of years or so for a upper-mid range card like 4070. You probably do want 16GB at the top end.

The 3060 situation came about because nvidia decided 8GB was the minimum needed for that tier GPU, but due to their chosen memory bus that meant it could only be provided by going to 12GB. There is a question if 8GB is enough now, and 16GB may have been added as an option. The much rumoured 3080 20GB never happened. Let's see what happens. I haven't followed closely but it is also rumoured that AMD lower end GPUs for this gen might also be 8GB, so at 8GB nvidia wont be at a disadvantage on that metric.

Back