• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help Upgrading Ram to 16gb in a Laptop + new battery and keyboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vasya

Registered
My friend has a Toshiba laptop that he bought in Thailand, i am struggling to find exact short part number on toshiba website to get manual for it so i can find out if this laptop can take 16gb of RAM and exact battery that it needs. Also drink has been spilled on it and keyboard no longer working, i was wondering if simply replacing keyboard would fix it ?

Can someone please be so kind and let me know if this laptop can take 16gb of ram and what ram + battery i need to get for it. If i buy wrong stuff theres no returns. I dont want to mess it up

Toshiba Pro
Satallite L50-B
PSKTCL-01800L

Thank you in advance

Looks like it can handle up to 16Gb of 1600Ghz memory. Source.

As far as the keyboard it's impossible to tell what got fried. I would guess if you're able to plug in a USB keyboard and it functions then replacing the lappy's keyboard would work, but that's simply speculation. Theirs no way of knowing without trying.

thx for you response but thats a different laptop from what my friend has. Maybe just sepcs different but same MOBA ?

Although I can't confirm for that exact model, the L50 series in general does seem to upgrade to 16gb. I would contact Toshiba first to make sure, however.

The best way to tell what is the appropriate memory is to download and install a program called CPU-z. Check the "SPD" tab on the program interface and it will tell you everything you need to know about the memory that is currently installed. The important thing is to match the frequency and the voltage. As far as the voltage goes, you need to determine if it uses normal or if it uses low voltage RAM. Low voltage RAM will have an "L" in the model number.

Normal voltage RAM would be 1.5v in that generation of technology and low voltage would be 1.35v.

Attachments

• Low.PNG
    Low.PNG
    28.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Also make sure to match the timings i.e. 11-11-11 or 11-13-14 etc.

Edit: ^ this is if you're attempting to match a current stick. If you are doing a complete replacement it's obviously not necessary.

As far as the keyboard goes, probably just look for any keyboard for the L50-B series.

Finding a replacement battery can be tricky. A lot of newer laptops have gone to putting ID chips in the batteries and if you buy an aftermarket battery and it doesn't have the "genuine Toshiba" ID chip in it may not be recognized. I'm not sure where you live but here in the US if you by an aftermarket battery from Amazon and it proves not to be compatible then you can just return it for a full refund.

I cannot find that specific model number of laptop on Toshiba's website or anywhere else except some sites in a foreign language so I want to emphasize that you should contact Toshiba to get some specific answers about memory and batteries.

Last edited:
Back