• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

lite-on cdrw drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalsonicGTR

is the lite-on cdrw drive very high quality? i found a retail drive (32x12x40) on newegg.com for only $79 with shipping. I am concerned about it because the price is so low, so i want to make sure that this drive will last me for awhile.

My friend and I each bought a Lite-On 32X12X40 at the same time. Neither of us have been disappointed. We bought them to burn many copies of an informational CD, and to date we have each burned about 600 CDs. They are great drives.

Lite-on is not the best quality, but its probably the best drive out there concerning speed and backing up games, and it makes no coasters like all other drives nowadays with the anti-coaster technologies.
If you want quality i would go for Plextor or Yamaha, these two companies are also the only two companies to have special technologies for making the pits smaller for making audio cd's, so they'll sound better when burned with these drives.
If you look at prices for Plextor or Yamaha cdrw they are higher than lite-on, better quality but i don't know if they last any longer than the lite-ons.

in my opinion and experiences Lite On is right on Par with Plextor and Yamaha. Lite On has all the features of plextors and works just as well. It burns perfectly, and lasts really long. I know this because I have a 24x cdrw Lite on in my sisters PC, and the amount of music cd's she burns. and how many cds that drive reads a week, It has lasted a year so far with no problems at all, all while burning close to 1200 cds.

I recently bought dual Lite-On 40x12x48 CDRW drives, all I can say is WOW, 2 cd's in 3:11, how can you not like that. You probably wonder why I have 2 drives, I say Y-not, replaced my old 8X20 from plextor and Dell had the special with coupons for $80 shipped next day air, couldnt resist and what else better to rip from but another CDRW that supports everything that my burner supports :)

in many reviews the lite-on drives have been on par with the high prices plextors if not better in burn speeds and quality. Have both the 32x and 24x versions on multiple systems, and they have all performed excellently, with virtually no bad burns. :burn:

The only problem with my Lite-On is when it wouldn't read a disc, and spit out a bunch of garbaget text during the IDE detect process. The problem was solved by giving the drive its own power line from the PSU. This only happened twice in my Athlon, which is currently dead (see sig), but it worked great after the problem was fixed. No problems since. It's working great in my Penitum (current main machine), while sharing a power line with the HDD and ZIP disk drive.

Uber-awesome drive, IMO. Blows the hell outta my old HP 6x writer, lol.

Back