• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jumping to Windows Phone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

k88

I´m just tired of Android, it just lag so much, even with a S3, changing ROM and the same history, so... I want to change to Windows phone, but I saw a few devices like:

HTC 8X
Lumia 820
Lumia 920

I want a screen => 4.3"
Price below 230 USD

I don´t know another devices if you guys can help me to choose, looking for pros and cons I would really appreciate; have to mention that some smartphones that I search was in used condition in ebay. Another thing is... I don´t use too much apps, only whatsapp, mail, calls, sms and so, I don´t need a bunch of app to do this and that, only the essential.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

K88.

Disclaimer: The Nokia Lumina 920 is my first & only smart phone thus far.....

Having said that, my experience with Lumina 920 has been nothing but positive.

--Good size/feel
--Snappy
--Call clarity
--Superior camera
--Nice screen
--Build quality

The thing everyone used to bring up was lack of apps.....(I know you mentioned you don't use much) but that for the most part has been addressed and continues to be so....

The only true negative i can think of is the weight. The phone feels heavy, how much of an issue that may be for you only you can answer......It doesn't bother me, but again i don't have a frame of reference.

If you do go with a 920, i recommend you grab an Nokia protective cover CC-1043 to go with it. :thup:

+1 for the 920, there's one in my pocket as I type. This is my second Windows phone, I had the LG C900 before that and the UI is quite easy to get used to. I liked the first one so much that's why I opted for windows this time around. The one thing with the Windows Phone is the requirements that MS puts on it ensure a godd snappy feel to it.

Thanks for the replies, another thing, I´m planning of buying used from ebay, is there any problem with that? or you guys recommend to save some money and get the New one?

I don't think there is a problem per se........ I would be worried about issues with the phone, but i suppose as long as seller has flawless feedback. :shrug:

If you're able, i recommend new.....

Last edited:
I must be the nay sayer haha. My wife has a lumina 920, and nothing but problems. Windows phones have lots of problems
construction complaints :
1) the sealed case means getting a new battery in is pricey and time consuming
2) if the battery ****s itself, like my wifes phone did, well... then you have to pay to get it done
3) if the charge port goes bad, you cant solder a new one on, meaning you need an entire mainboard change.
4) the phone itself isn't as streamlined or of a comfortable size, but thats mostly subjective opinion
5) the camera SUCKS. Its horrible. The BRAND new ones have a decent camera, but even then arent good compared to other phones
6) special case construction means its very difficult to replace parts or screen should they be damaged -> $$$
7) flash on the camera gets altered if you have a case on due to placement of the damn flash.

Software

1) the phone itself seems to be super reliable, HOWEVER, it doesn;'t even come close to the support android and iOS feature.
2) Like all those popular programs your friends have? well hope you dont mind waiting for a year for it to come out on the windows phone (if at all)
3) updates are far and few between

General ->

Phone feels sturdy and well built, but didn't take a single fall very well. Screen cracked in half, and corner caved in. Battery literally exploded in the case (luckily didnt damage anything!), charge port failed and is a pain to charge. Lack of support for games and apps was frustrating. THAT SAID, the platform seems really reliable and easy for tailoring to your style.

Bottom line -> If you're tired of android, I would recommend getting an iphone over a windows phone. As much as I hate apple stuff, those phones are just seriously well made.

Sounds to me like maybe your wife got a lemon. I also agree with cuda, the camera works great.

I tried giving the Lumia 920 a try a while back, and was pleasantly surprised with how easy win8 on mobile was to get used to and it was quite fluid. HERE maps was fantastic and the camera was ok, but sadly.... My 920 started randomly crashing and freezing, ATT replaced it and the 2nd one started having the same issues after a few months of use.

When it was working, I have to say I liked the Lumia more than my recent previous phones (Nexus 4, Galaxy S3) as it was surprisingly a great phone. But sadly I think I simply got 2 lemons :/

If I had to purchase NOW, it would either be a 1020 for that amazing camera and xenon flash or wait for a Lumia Icon for ATT ( or an unlocked). But right now Ill stick with my rooted S3 until I feel an urge to upgrade.

I´m just tired of Android, it just lag so much, even with a S3, changing ROM and the same history, so... I want to change to Windows phone, but I saw a few devices like:

HTC 8X
Lumia 820
Lumia 920

I want a screen => 4.3"
Price below 230 USD

I don´t know another devices if you guys can help me to choose, looking for pros and cons I would really appreciate; have to mention that some smartphones that I search was in used condition in ebay. Another thing is... I don´t use too much apps, only whatsapp, mail, calls, sms and so, I don´t need a bunch of app to do this and that, only the essential.

K88.

I have an 820. It's a fantastic phone in pretty much all the ways I care about. But its worth noting that Windows Phone 8 runs extremely well on low-end hardware. All of the Nokia Lumias run really well. The Android ones need those Quad Core processors. But I honestly get great performance on the 820 and my friend has the 620 and it also runs great. Make sure you get one that supports HD voice, I forget which they are, but you can go pretty cheap with WP8 and still get a really good device.

There are two caveats to the above. One is games. I have no interest in them and I can't comment on what the selection is like on WP8. I know there are quite a few, but less than iPhone and Android. I do not know if you care about that.

The second is a real problem for me and would have stopped me buying the phone if I'd known. Not everyone cares though. You cannot export SMS messages from the phone. You can back them up as part of a phone restore which is handled automatically, but you can't get them out of the phone. That makes it near useless for business use to me as I have requirements on being able to do that. If that doesn't bother you, then grab any of the Lumia range according to budget.

HTC 8X
Lumia 820
Lumia 920

I want a screen => 4.3"
Price below 230 USD

K88.

stock android will blow your mind. if you budget is low i highly suggest a nexus 4... you can find em for 150ish in mint condition if you look hard enough.

HTC 8X
Lumia 820
Lumia 920

I want a screen => 4.3"
Price below 230 USD

K88.
you can go through the tablet compare website to compare the android with windows phone before getting into any decision dont take the decision without understanding...
by the way i prefer you the HTC 8X the best one i am using in windows.....

you can go through the tablet compare website to compare the android with windows phone before getting into any decision dont take the decision without understanding...
by the way i prefer you the HTC 8X the best one i am using in windows.....

Well I have the 820. It's a very good phone. I don't see any advantage in the 920 for me, but I'm not a manic photo-taker and I don't really play games on it. Maybe if you really care about those things you want the higher-end phone. But the photos on the 820 are still very good, imo and I'm never ever troubled by it running slowly or lagging in the slightest. I personally would get the 820. I think you'll be happy because it's a good phone and then happy twice because it didn't cost you nearly as much as other phones do.

FYI.....

Today, at Build 2014, we had an initial glimpse of the new Windows Phone 8.1 OS. It looks stunning and it’s coming to all Lumia smartphones running Windows Phone 8.

Starting this summer, any Lumia device currently running Windows Phone 8 will receive an over-the-air update, receiving these great new features:

Read more here

ok, some days ago I just bought a Moto G; I needed a phone asap and that device is the most quickly stuff I can get; have to say I'm really impressed with the Motorola; the lack of two cores in Atrix 2 will let me know that is a big jump to quad core, maybe in other oportunity I can jump to WP, thanks to all!

Back