• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Ryzen has altered the CPU market landscape

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
CPU upgrades are the least required for most home/office users who have ~3-5-year-old PC. Most games run not much better on new chips, but marketing is pushing theories about how great are new series. Mentioned Ryzen 1800X will be good for the next 2-3 years or even more if games will mostly use graphics cards power. If not benchmarking and reviewing then I wouldn't think about a CPU upgrade. In my gaming PC, I have 7900X only because it was stupid to sell it for half price and I doubt I will need to replace it for the next 3 years+ ... but probably I will as always.

Since my last post in this thread, my experience has slightly changed. It's mostly because I had a chance to test some Ryzen 3000 chips and I can't say that AMD runs great on cheap and quiet coolers. Ryzen 3000 heats up like Intel so at least in this matter they lost their advantage. What's left is still better price and more cores but as some mentioned that multiple times, more doesn't mean better when additional cores can't be used.

I agree for the most part....

But Ryzen 1 for 1080p gaming still leaves some performance on the table. Good enough is plenty for most, indeed. Ryzen 2/3 is a different story. WHile it can stll be a couple of percent behind in gaming, that is actually, 'good enough'. It just depends on what resolution you game at. Since most are still at 1080p, these CPUs can hold things back just a bit.

Back